PDA

View Full Version : A question for Speedy

Karen-Annie
12-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Yeah,I know,I'm too lazy to look it up.Speedy,I was reading an article in Newsweek or Time and there was a reference to D.C.....I can't remember the whole context but it made me wonder.

Is D.C. considered a state? If they are not,does it have the same "rights" as states....like is it part of the Electoral College,have congressmen and senators,have say over education system,etc. like any other state?

GenX
12-02-2007, 03:48 PM
D.C. isn't a state, it's a 'district'. It's the capital city of the entire country, therefore it belongs to no state.

It's kind of confusing, really. In the past, residents of D.C. could not vote. However, because something like 85 or 90% of the people who work in D.C. live in either Virginia or Maryland (a few miles away) the people could vote as a member of those states. Now D.C. counts in the Electoral College.

There is a mayor of D.C., though no city council. Members of Congress take care of the city's political needs and business. Which congressmen actually do this, I don't know. Also, there are no Congressmen from D.C. All of Congress attends to its needs.

Virginia and Maryland each donated a small corner of their states in order to create D.C. There was a lot of fighting over which state should house the capital back in the late-1700's. A compromise was made that the capital would not sit in any one particular state, but would rather be on a piece of land that belongs to all states.

There has been a lot of changes to the political standing of D.C. recently. They are more or less treated like a state today.

Huggy85
12-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Interesting stuff....I've wondered that too.

Karen-Annie
12-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks,Speedy.The article I was reading made some reference to Congress taking care of administration of Washington,D.C. so it made me wonder about the rest of it's status regarding "states' rights".

12-03-2007, 02:18 PM
I thought it was interesting to read the DC license plate (tag, to our US friends) motto: "Taxation Without Representation". Took me a little while to figure out what it actually meant, but a former DC resident who is a colleague of mine confirmed that it is because DC residents pay federal taxes, but have no federal representation. A bit ironic to say the least.

GenX
12-04-2007, 04:22 PM
D.C. has always been a 'no mans land' as far as political representation goes.

It exists, but it doesn't.

Make sense?