PDA

View Full Version : Motor issue

sage
12-02-2007, 07:49 PM
I took my car in the garage the other day thinking I had an alternator problem or needed a new battery. Here's the issue : last Saturday was pretty cold, forgot to plug in the car - wouldnt start - so I plugged it in and left it for a bit ant it started.
Since then I've been plugging it in every night, but.....now the car seems to want to stall in traffic, idles high and seems like it wants to take off.

I took it to the garage to have a looksey, they said everything looks good, alternator looks brand new, battery cables were really loose (they tightened them)and it rides beautiful, air filter and fuel filter good. Didn't charge me a thing and told me to bring it back on Monday if it still acting up. Fair enough. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
So it still wants to stall, idles high and when I put it in park it idles high for a minute then goes back to normal. Ive had a all the fluids done last week,
Help! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif
O btw its a 95 Grand Prix Sedan.

Add
12-02-2007, 08:14 PM
maybe your TCC (Torque Convertor Clutch) solenoid is sticking

puppy
12-02-2007, 09:58 PM
could be what armadillo said or a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) or a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor)

sage
12-02-2007, 11:06 PM
awee man, sounds like $$ to me. How much do those things cost to fix?

12-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Could be as simple as a vacuum leak somewhere (vacuum hose split or disconnected)

puppy
12-02-2007, 11:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Short _Circutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could be as simple as a vacuum leak somewhere (vacuum hose split or disconnected)</div></div>

could be too and if so then it is not too bad in price

fishin-nut
12-03-2007, 08:44 AM
same trouble i had with my ford truck,was a vacuum leak at the pcv valve.....

Add
12-04-2007, 09:28 AM
did ya bring it back?

AmdWolfman
12-04-2007, 03:22 PM
where did u bring it, and how much did it costa. I'm in the midts of buying a vehicle just looking for an affordale place.

sage
12-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Sorry, didn't bring it back yet - had more issues this morning with RPM's revving up to 9 and the revving up to 90Km/h as I turned a corner this morning. Got a friend taking it in to the garage for me so I don't get the runaround.

rmkryan
12-05-2007, 07:27 PM
I had an issue similar on a throttle body. Not only did I have a TPS issue, I also and a problem with the fuel pressure regulator.

J*B
12-06-2007, 10:44 AM
My pickup has a throttle kicker solenoid on the Holley throttle body, it has gone 3 times on me. When it goes at random, the vehicle will do 90K without touching the gas, for some reason the piston comes all the way out and it seizes there.
Two out of the three times I almost cracked it up trying to stop before hitting something.
I even wrote a letter to the transportation safety board about it, no reply!!

Add
12-10-2007, 09:39 PM
any luck?

sage
12-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Its at the garage, mechanic thinks it the Idle Air Motor Control thingy - might need cleaning or replaced. Will find out by the end of the day!

A*lil*Loopy
12-11-2007, 12:41 PM
It almost sounded like Throttle Position Sensor. We had ours cause us some grief before finally figuring it out. Fortunately it was two screws and about $60 for us to change it ourselves. But ours didn't stall in traffic. Just revved a lot.
Funny thing for us was that the codes just wouldn't come up when the garage had it plugged in, we ended up buying a code reader because our van was shy in front of everyone else.

thcthc
12-11-2007, 08:14 PM
lots of times, bad idling, hunting idling, over idling, stalling, can all be remidied by a throttle body disassmbly, including new gaskets, and cleaning ALL sensors(sensors are very delicate I recomend a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol, put it all back together and check for vacuum leaks. And make sure you have cleaned everything spotless.

edit to say: that car has a 3800 v6?

sage
12-13-2007, 09:21 AM
All fixed now, was the TPS Sensor & Idle Air Control motor replaced, plugged with carbon, plus intake gaskets.

A*lil*Loopy
12-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Glad you got'er fixed.
Nice to know you won't be nervous to stop at an intersection for fear of stalling, it sucks as I remember.

sage
12-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks!