PDA

View Full Version : HELP with some words and pics not showing up

tippikitty
12-04-2007, 10:16 PM
For some reason when I go to some web pages not everything on the pages show up. I know there should be words with a link or pictures and it's just blank. I move my cursor over it and and I get the hand to click on it, but I'm basically clicking on a blank area. Why are some things and pics not showing up? It is really driving me crazy. I have looked on the internet to see if I can find out what the problem was on my own, but no luck. PLEASE can someone help?

binky
12-04-2007, 10:55 PM
first try to clear your cookies and temporary internet files in internet option under 'tools' in menu bar.

tippikitty
12-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Did that and still not working.

hemi_69
12-05-2007, 07:36 AM
most likely just a missing or corrupt plugin.
start by reinstalling flash and java, uninstall any toolbars adn try restoring defaults to internet explorer if you are uing IE7.

if all else fails, maybe a system restore to before it started

tippikitty
12-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Ok tried all that and it didn't work. I do believe that it has to be some kind of missing or corrupt plugin. Not that I know anything about computers but I've tried a lot of things to try and fix this problem. I have had this problem for a really long time and so when I went to do a system restore there wasn't a date earlier enough for me to go back to be able to fix the problem. Now what. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

hemi_69
12-05-2007, 11:56 PM
try downloading firefox or something like that, if it works there then we know the problem is within IE, pretty much cuts any possibilities in half

tippikitty
12-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Did that already as well and still the same problem. Any other suggestions?

J*B
12-06-2007, 01:11 PM
http://community.aarp.org/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=rp-computers&tid=11361

Might be a hint or two here..

MagicFingers
12-06-2007, 02:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *~TippiKitty~*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did that already as well and still the same problem. Any other suggestions? </div></div>

Since it works with both IE and Firefox, my first thought is that you have some sort of global Ad Blocker installed on your computer. This would stop any images that were ads (or that it thought were ads).

First off, do you have any security software that could do this? Norton security, etc. If you do, I would go hunting around in the settings there.

Let me know how it goes....

tippikitty
12-06-2007, 02:26 PM
No the only security thing I have is AVG and that's it.

MagicFingers
12-06-2007, 02:32 PM
hmmm, can you give me an example of one of the sites that doesn't work for you? give me the URL and then let me know which elements is not showing up, this might help narrow it down.

Let me know

tippikitty
12-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Ok If I go to facebook I get the home page and on the top it should say Facebook in the very top left corner. Mine is blank but I can click on it. Beside that is Friends then blank spot then Network then another blank spot then Inbox and another blank spot. I know there should be something where these blank spots are because I can click on them.
Also if you go under Profile in Facebook you have your picture on the left side and below that is a list of things that you can do then there is what looks like a grid of boxes. All these boxes are empty and I know they should have pictures in them because I've seen other's profiles. These are just some examples. I hope I explained ok.

puppy
12-06-2007, 11:16 PM
is it possible that active x contents are not enabled to run on the puter?

MagicFingers
12-07-2007, 02:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *~TippiKitty~*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok If I go to facebook I get the home page and on the top it should say Facebook in the very top left corner. Mine is blank but I can click on it. Beside that is Friends then blank spot then Network then another blank spot then Inbox and another blank spot. I know there should be something where these blank spots are because I can click on them.
Also if you go under Profile in Facebook you have your picture on the left side and below that is a list of things that you can do then there is what looks like a grid of boxes. All these boxes are empty and I know they should have pictures in them because I've seen other's profiles. These are just some examples. I hope I explained ok. </div></div>

Yep, I'm starting to get an idea.

Now, I just want to double confirm, you said that the images, are not showing up on BOTH Internet Explorer, AND Firefox, correct?

If that's the case, I want you to download this small program (HiJackthis) ( Here (http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=5554&file=11&evp=4122712c2af084c815e5fd4f2b249d83) )

when you run it, pick "Do a system scan and save a log file" it'll scan your system, and then it'll pop up a notepad file with a bunch of stuff. I would like you to copy and paste that into a PM to me. (it will show some info about your PC, and I wouldn't want the world to see it as it may become a security risk).

This should help me narrow down what program is causing this.

Thanks Tippi, let me know.

tippikitty
12-07-2007, 11:32 AM
No Thank you! I will try this right now.

J*B
12-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Did you get this straightened out?

tippikitty
12-09-2007, 10:23 AM
No not yet. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

tippikitty
12-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Still nothing

J*B
12-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Maybe time to format and reinstall fresh??
Did you try reinstalling windows over top of itself? Might be worth a try.

tippikitty
12-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah I would really like to avoid having to wipe everything but if it comes down to it then I guess i'm going to have to. I just had that done about 6-8 months ago so I would rather just try and fix this individual problem..

binky
12-16-2007, 11:15 PM
tippi i get the same sort of thing with yahoo's homepage, its normally a cookie problem but clearing files and folders isnt fixing it. You might try going to tools/options again and where it says browsing history click settings and click where it asks check for newer page 'every tim e i visit web page' this may do it for you.Its an int explorer problem with some computers maybe they'll straighten out with an update.

tippikitty
12-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks binky, I will try that.

tippikitty
12-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Nope, didn't work. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

puppy
12-17-2007, 11:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: puppy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is it possible that active x contents are not enabled to run on the puter?</div></div>

try to go to tools/ internet options/security/custom level on internet and local intranet and trusted sites/and check for activex contents and make sure they are enabled

binky
12-18-2007, 08:23 AM
nah theres a few pages aside from facebook that are displaying iproperly but just with IE not with firefox or opera, my desktop is doing this and my laptop isnt both have same same OS and browser and updates.
My question is is there still a repair utility with IE 7 in vista as there were with the others anybody know??

tippikitty
12-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Was talking to someone and they said it could be when the computer hooks up to the internet that it's not fast enough or drops the connection before everything gets loaded. Or something like that. Has anyone ever heard of that?

binky
12-18-2007, 01:17 PM
yeah its an old dial up problem usually resolved by refreshing the page.

tippikitty
12-18-2007, 06:54 PM
I don't have dial up and it doesn't fix it by refreshing. I do have wireless so could this be the problem?