PDA

View Full Version : Eastgate Tenants Homeless

Sweet_And_Innocent
12-05-2007, 04:23 PM
http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=800300&auth=By+Michael+Purvis%2c+The+Sault+Star

Drove by a little while ago, and PUC was also there turning off the water and lights. There are still people living there that refuse to leave b/c they have no where to go. Also, if you know the owners you know there was never any notice to these tenants.
I knew that there was a shortage on rentals in the Sault, but didn't realize that ppl couldn't find long term rooms for rent too.

everywoman
12-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Very sad that people in this city can't find a home.

General Lee
12-05-2007, 04:55 PM
its not that they can't find a home its that they can't afford the prices in town

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Yes because living in the Sault is SOOO expensive! And it's not like there aren't what? 4 call centers with decent pay who are always hiring...

Sweet_And_Innocent
12-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Thats part of it general lee... but also the vacancy rate in SSM is less the 1%.

~ Sweet

Paully
12-05-2007, 05:02 PM
That is sad for sure,.. what gets me is that a couple I know get a 5 day warning from the gas company for owing $ 190 and if they don't pay in 5 days its cut off no questions about it, and no arrangements can be made. How the heck did they manage a $10,000 bill and get away for so long blows my mind. Let alone the word arrears,.. i didn't the gas company let you go into arrears,.. oh well,.. guess i learned something new.

I just hope every one is safe and warm for the hollidays!

hp2
12-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I was always under the impression that after nov1 to may 1 they are not allowed to shut off gas, puc, or even kick you outa your place you are living in as its against the law!! because its winter!!

Maryms
12-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Terrible it is and how come social assitance is not getting involved.

sniderscott2
12-05-2007, 05:36 PM
A huge crackdown has to happen to building owners in the sault, its real sloppy here.

IMHO
12-05-2007, 05:37 PM
The city welfare dept should step in NOW. Yes..I want some of my tax dollars spent on these people. One less trip to China will get them a warm place to live.

sniderscott2
12-05-2007, 05:38 PM
one less person abusing the system would help THOSE people in real need

sniderscott2
12-05-2007, 05:39 PM
p.s when i first moved here, it took 3 months to find a apartment..

blueeyedgirl
12-05-2007, 05:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was always under the impression that after nov1 to may 1 they are not allowed to shut off gas, puc, or even kick you outa your place you are living in as its against the law!! because its winter!! </div></div>
That is not true. When I was having issues with the previous landlord and he kicked us out because i had the electrical safety authority come into the home it was winter time. The landlord and tenant act said that it is a misconception that landlords are not alound to evict in winter.

Also a friend of mine with children is about to have her puc cut off and she told them that she thought they couldn't in winter and they told her that is not true.

blueeyedgirl
12-05-2007, 05:45 PM
According to the article people cannot move not because they cannot find something that they can afford. It is due to the fact that there is nothing right now to rent here that they can afford due to vacancy rates.

EyelashExtensions
12-05-2007, 05:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thinking Hard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The city welfare dept should step in NOW. Yes..I want some of my tax dollars spent on these people. One less trip to China will get them a warm place to live. </div></div>

Our tax dollars have been being spent on these people. Most of them probably about 99% that live in the Eastgate are on welfare.

NoName
12-05-2007, 05:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *kuietgrl*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes because living in the Sault is SOOO expensive! And it's not like there aren't what? 4 call centers with decent pay who are always hiring... </div></div>

Living in the sault isn't that expensive, but finding an apartment where rent is only around 325 a month (which is what those people were paying) can be difficult, unless you are willing to consider living with a roommate. The call centres have actually been slowing their hiring, thanks to the high Canadian dollar, and the one that I work at has actually laid quite a few people off.

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Not that I don't feel bad for these people, but there are jobs out there. I know of at least one call center that has NOT cut back their hiring but actually the opposite.

These people have social assistance/welfare...opportunities for decent paying jobs...

The only thing I feel for them about is the fact that they had no notice to find alternate living arrangements.

bluekrissyspikes
12-05-2007, 07:17 PM
i feel bad for anyone who is at a low enough place that they'd think of living in that hole anyways...

A*lil*Loopy
12-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Unfortunately there are some people who are in a position that many companies won't hire them. Face it, the truth is there are some people that many don't want to work with.

I know a woman who is physically capable of working but her mental state is that of a five year old and she lives in a hotel situation. Her late husband actually married her to get her out of an abusive home, he wanted to protect her. She doesn't understand much of how to be on her own, but living where she does keeps her off of the street.......where she's been before. The facilities and services are too strained to handle her.

For those who don't have a choice, I feel badly and hope that they find something suitable for themselves. I do hope that there is some way that social services can step up and help those who really do need it.

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-05-2007, 07:59 PM
In that situation, I'd agree, Loopy.

On the other hand, I worked with someone who lived there. How is it that I could afford a great place to live AND support my family while they could only afford (apparently) to live there? Hmm...

NoName
12-05-2007, 10:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *kuietgrl*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not that I don't feel bad for these people, but there are jobs out there. I know of at least one call center that has NOT cut back their hiring but actually the opposite.

These people have social assistance/welfare...opportunities for decent paying jobs...

The only thing I feel for them about is the fact that they had no notice to find alternate living arrangements. </div></div>

A lot of people who live there (not all) lack the skills/experience/connections required to find decent jobs in this city...And if you are referring to Nucomm or Cross Country as the call centre who has increased hiring, they tend to have higher standards than Sutherland or NCO, and would probably not want to hire some of the people who lived in that place.

Barney Rubble
12-05-2007, 10:26 PM
& if they aren't working, are they less as people?
isn't this where those that have alittle bit more are supposed to shine....especially at this time of the year??

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-05-2007, 10:34 PM
They're not less as people, but it doesn't mean everyone should bend over backwards to give them money.

I don't come from a rich family, I didn't have anything handed to me, I'm in debt more than a 23 year old should be and probably more than I could pay off in a lifetime and I'm not even working right now. Yet I manage?

Don't get me wrong, I feel for these people because they had no notice, no warning and now have no where to go...but come on, Barney. They were living in a friggin dump to begin with. Like I said, I worked with someone who lived there and they even made more money than I did! How the F could I afford to live in a decent place but they couldn't? I have no pity in that respect.

Macs II
12-05-2007, 10:41 PM
The gas heat has been shut off for months .....isn't that enough warning that something isn't right ?

Barney Rubble
doesnt mean you have to give money.
i'm not talkin bout you, but some just like to categorize these ppl as low-lifes.
just a little respect and sympathy is something.

kuietgrl (got lost)
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoName</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of people who live there (not all) lack the skills/experience/connections required to find decent jobs in this city...And if you are referring to Nucomm or Cross Country as the call centre who has increased hiring, they tend to have higher standards than Sutherland or NCO, and would probably not want to hire some of the people who lived in that place. </div></div>

It's nothing a shave and a bar of soap couldn't fix. And don't tell me they can't do that...it's all a matter of wanting it bad enough to go and do it...not waiting for things to be handed to you.

And before you go mental on me, obviously that doesn't apply to all of them. I know there are certain ccircumstances like the one Loopy mentioned.

b&aMom
12-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Sounds like they need to team up and become roomies if they can't go it alone. Or is it that they live a life such that no one would rent to them? Asking a serious question there, as I have a family member that lives the life I suspect many of these folks do. Can't get a phone on his own, has sucked family members dry of money, has destroyed the credit rating he once had, and is on every possible social service available.

The address these people are leaving (and don't want to leave) tells me a bit about them.

And if someone has the mentality of a 5 year old, they'd be eligible for assisted living.

Macs II
12-05-2007, 10:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ust a little respect and sympathy is something. </div></div>

how do you have respect and sympathy to someone who isn't willing to help themselves.

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-05-2007, 10:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how do you have respect and sympathy to someone who isn't willing to help themselves. </div></div>

I couldn't agree more. Obviously, if their heat had been turned off for that long, they should have started looking for a new place a long time ago.

Barney Rubble
12-05-2007, 11:04 PM
screw em then!
sometimes i'm so embarassed to be from a hick town attitute!

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Barney, have you ever tried to help someone who doesn't really care? b&aMom kinda summed it up...they will take you for all you have and STILL be in the same place they started in. Been there, done that.

So yes. Screw them. If they wanted out of that dump they called a home, they could have been.

You can't help those who don't want to change how they live. If that's a hick town attitude, then I guess I've got it.

BTW, I know your attitude...it's nothing to be proud of, buddy /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

italiandomino
12-05-2007, 11:11 PM
this is gonna get good

Barney Rubble
12-05-2007, 11:20 PM
whats my attitute?
i'm just saying that a negative opinion that they diserve what they got doesnt edify anything.
doesnt mean you have to help them at all but do you gotta kick somebody when they're down with words.

b&aMom
12-05-2007, 11:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney Rubble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">screw em then!
sometimes i'm so embarassed to be from a hick town attitute! </div></div>

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif My husband is from one of the three largest cities in the country, and he has a "worse" attitude about this relative of mine than I do. There goes your "hicktown" theory, Barn.

b&aMom
12-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Forgot to add:

Some people are quite happy to wallow in the filth they've made of their life. Despite all help being offered. Others wish to climb out of the filth their life is, and do better, and expect better for themselves. Just by expecting better OF themselves, they encourage more help.

Ya' makes ya's own luck in many ways in this life.

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-05-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm not even gonna go there, Barney. I spent 3 weeks with you...more than I care to deal with again.

b&a, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. Guess you have to experience people blood sucking from you to know what it's like.

italiandomino
12-05-2007, 11:48 PM
whoa !!!

Barney Rubble
12-05-2007, 11:56 PM
if you are 23, you never spent any time with me cuz i'm 47!!!

Krysta
12-06-2007, 12:47 AM
well personally I do know some of those who live in the low rental rooms above the hotels, and many do not have the mental capabilities to work in a call center and yet are not able to handle living with anyone else to share rent.
Assistance will only give them so much for rent and unfortunately our city really lacks bachelor pads and one bedroom apartments under 500.00 inclusive a month.
They live there because they need to an unfortunately they are not considered priority for low income housing.
They don't live there because its so pretty.
I'm sad to hear they are all in this position at this time of the year.

Macs II
12-06-2007, 12:55 AM
What we need is more subsidized housing. No landlord can afford to rent a place for under $500 all inclusive.

Krysta
12-06-2007, 12:59 AM
but yet if Im not mistaken assistance wil only provide 525 a month for a single person Thats if im right on that.
Its almost impossible for these people to get an apartment with that.

Macs II
12-06-2007, 01:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: POPPLES RULE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but yet if Im not mistaken assistance wil only provide 525 a month for a single person Thats if im right on that.
Its almost impossible for these people to get an apartment with that. </div></div>

I don't know how much they get but how would they even eat if they only get 525 a month even if the rent was only $325.00

b&aMom
12-06-2007, 01:13 AM
In the accomodations they have had at the Eastgate, did they share a bathroom, or did each room have their own? If not, and they shared, they could share an apartment.

I'm not a hard hearted person, really. I just have experienced my own hard times, and knew that much of it was of my own decision-making. I took responsibility for it, and dug myself out. Granted, I had a good upbringing, but your upbringing doesn't necessarily put food in your mouth, or a roof over your head.

Macs II
12-06-2007, 01:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: b&aMom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the accomodations they have had at the Eastgate, did they share a bathroom, or did each room have their own? If not, and they shared, they could share an apartment.

I'm not a hard hearted person, really. I just have experienced my own hard times, and knew that much of it was of my own decision-making. I took responsibility for it, and dug myself out. Granted, I had a good upbringing, but your upbringing doesn't necessarily put food in your mouth, or a roof over your head. </div></div>

Thats right ..you do what you have to do and don't expect others to do it for you

DOGWALKER1
12-06-2007, 01:18 AM
i am reading all this and you all have some points however we don't know these people and there livies how ever i do know that some took took the place being a low rental because thats all there pention could afford yes i said pention there are retired peeople there as well not just young able people here, its a crack this city has let people fall through like so many other cracks ...... look at the 90some year old lady on the front page of the news paper sje was living there
now i don't think she should be working at a call centre or collecting welfare she has done her time and where has that gotten her, look at the bigger picture of what the government etc has done ,these people paid there rent like we all do and what cause they fell throught the cracks, we judge them thats not right

Macs II
12-06-2007, 01:21 AM
Like I said there's not enough subsidized housing in this city.

sniderscott2
12-06-2007, 01:23 AM
oh wow, there is more then enough!

Macs II
12-06-2007, 01:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PunK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh wow, there is more then enough! </div></div>

oh can you explain where ?

axalon2003
12-06-2007, 02:29 AM
The Eastgate is facing the same issue that the Northland faced many months back. That is, the management didn't pay the bills and ended up putting the tennents into the position they are in.
If you want to be realistic about a low income housing set up, then you need a situation where the people overseeing it are putting the rent towards the bills first and foremost, and then into needed upgrades. They should then bank some for emergencies, and take away anything that is left over for profit.
This may be idealistic, but come on. The people running the Eastgate were collecting money from their tennants and should have been putting that towards the bills.
Let's assume there are 12 people paying $325/month. That's $3900/month. Gas and PUC should in no way use that up. $2000 should be more than enough to cover it, leaving $1900 left over. What happened to the money these people paid for their rent?
It is sad that they need to bear the hardships of the mismanagement of their paid rent. I said it when the Northland ran into trouble and I will say it again now....The city should oversee Low Rent housing more closely. I'm not saying that people can't profit from providing low rental housing, but people need protecting. Bad management, and individuals who are more concerned with milking dollars over providing basics should not force people who thought they had homes into the streets.
There are going to be all sorts of arguements about how people can find jobs, get better places to live, and so on, but lets be realistic....They are living where they are living, and bad management is not their faults.

axalon2003
12-06-2007, 02:30 AM
Bloody hell, I'm long winded.

spinmonkey42
12-06-2007, 02:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Axalon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Let's assume there are 12 people paying $325/month. That's $3900/month. Gas and PUC should in no way use that up. $2000 should be more than enough to cover it, leaving $1900 left over. </div></div>

You know, I thought the same thing..then I thought about the Gas & PUC bills living in a small two bedroom house. $400-$500/mth combined. And that's for a small house. The Eastgate is a big building to be heated. Then add up those 12 tenants using the electric and water. Also, consider the mortgage payments on the building. They didn't own the building long enough to be paid off I'm sure. Then there's Insurance and Property Taxes..maintenance...Also in a building like that..when alot of power is being used, if you go over a certain usage, you get billed a "demand" fee..i could keep going, but that $3900 is going real quick........

NoName
12-06-2007, 03:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *kuietgrl*</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoName</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of people who live there (not all) lack the skills/experience/connections required to find decent jobs in this city...And if you are referring to Nucomm or Cross Country as the call centre who has increased hiring, they tend to have higher standards than Sutherland or NCO, and would probably not want to hire some of the people who lived in that place. </div></div>

It's nothing a shave and a bar of soap couldn't fix. And don't tell me they can't do that...it's all a matter of wanting it bad enough to go and do it...not waiting for things to be handed to you.

And before you go mental on me, obviously that doesn't apply to all of them. I know there are certain ccircumstances like the one Loopy mentioned. </div></div>

All I meant is that someone with a poor/nonexistant work history would have a very hard time finding anything that paid more than minimum wage. Even if they look good, employers nowadays seem wary about hiring someone with a bad/no work history. It seems everyone today wants experience so they don't have to spend as much time/money training someone...

bluekrissyspikes
12-06-2007, 03:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: POPPLES RULE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but yet if Im not mistaken assistance wil only provide 525 a month for a single person Thats if im right on that.
Its almost impossible for these people to get an apartment with that. </div></div>

I don't know how much they get but how would they even eat if they only get 525 a month even if the rent was only $325.00 </div></div>

Yup, that really is how much people on ow get Macs. anyone on welfare gets $195 for groceries and bills, plus their rental amount, which is $325 for 1 person. Not as much as some people would make it out to be.
From the people I've met who lived at the eastgate, it seems to me that a lot of addicts and alcoholics live there, and the ones i've met were uneducated and not someone i would want working for me.

axalon2003
12-06-2007, 03:26 AM
I see your point Edge. I still think that the owners managed the money wrong though.
The heating was shared among the tennants. The bathroom facilities are shared, and there isn't a lot of overuseof them, as people are considerate of other people's need for the shared facilities. The tennants have a single room to themselves, so not a lot of power consumption there. MOrtgage payments, based on a purchase price of $350,000 over 30 years are $1945.48. This leaves $1954.52 left for PUC and gas. If there are 12 people in single rooms (12 people is a rough guess about occupancy), then there isn't a huge electric demand, especially considering how dead the Eastgate is/was (not sure if it is even still open as a bar). I really can't see the utilities going over $2000/month. I could easily be wrong, but it still seems to be a case of bad management to me.

Macs II
12-06-2007, 03:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bluekrissyspikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: POPPLES RULE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but yet if Im not mistaken assistance wil only provide 525 a month for a single person Thats if im right on that.

I don't know how much they get but how would they even eat if they only get 525 a month even if the rent was only $325.00 </div></div>

Yup, that really is how much people on ow get Macs. anyone on welfare gets $195 for groceries and bills, plus their rental amount, which is $325 for 1 person. Not as much as some people would make it out to be.
From the people I've met who lived at the eastgate, it seems to me that a lot of addicts and alcoholics live there, and the ones i've met were uneducated and not someone i would want working for me. </div></div>

If that's true how can they afford drugs and alcohol when they barely get enough money to eat ?

bluekrissyspikes
12-06-2007, 03:42 AM
that's a pretty good question. i guess they can find a way because they want it bad enough.... one person that i know who was livin there is in that lifestyle and never has money but somehow manages to get beer everyday. and they can still go to the food bank/soup kitchen.

Macs II
12-06-2007, 03:46 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bluekrissyspikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that's a pretty good question. i guess they can find a way because they want it bad enough.... one person that i know who was livin there is in that lifestyle and never has money but somehow manages to get beer everyday. and they can still go to the food bank/soup kitchen. </div></div>

How do you get beer everyday if you don't have money ?

axalon2003
12-06-2007, 03:52 AM
Bar tabs work wonders for a while... Then, when you pay it off at the start of the month, you are even more broke, and run up a tab again..It's a viscious cycle.

12-06-2007, 06:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Axalon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Eastgate is facing the same issue that the Northland faced many months back. That is, the management didn't pay the bills and ended up putting the tennents into the position they are in.
If you want to be realistic about a low income housing set up, then you need a situation where the people overseeing it are putting the rent towards the bills first and foremost, and then into needed upgrades. They should then bank some for emergencies, and take away anything that is left over for profit.
This may be idealistic, but come on. The people running the Eastgate were collecting money from their tennants and should have been putting that towards the bills.
Let's assume there are 12 people paying $325/month. That's $3900/month. Gas and PUC should in no way use that up. $2000 should be more than enough to cover it, leaving $1900 left over. What happened to the money these people paid for their rent?
It is sad that they need to bear the hardships of the mismanagement of their paid rent. I said it when the Northland ran into trouble and I will say it again now....The city should oversee Low Rent housing more closely. I'm not saying that people can't profit from providing low rental housing, but people need protecting. Bad management, and individuals who are more concerned with milking dollars over providing basics should not force people who thought they had homes into the streets.
There are going to be all sorts of arguements about how people can find jobs, get better places to live, and so on, but lets be realistic....They are living where they are living, and bad management is not their faults. </div></div>Well said and I agree.

LIKETOWIN
12-06-2007, 08:46 AM
they should have something for these people why isnt somebody going and helping these people find something.

Light_Keeper
12-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Okay,
These people need help and I agree that being homeless is a hardship, but, why cant they go to St VincentsPlace, or other homeless shelters here in town??

RUNNER
12-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Don't forget that business owners, if they don't live at their place of business ofcourse, may have a second mortgage to pay, other personal bills, and what about the staff that work for them? I am sure they need to be paid too. If not enough profit was made from the business, some of this cash I am sure had to be used for personal expense. It is really unfortunate for the tenants but in reality, people want to look after their own first. The city really needs to look into this further for the tenants sake. Even if OW can offer more for the rent part and send it directly to the landlords.

jeffster
12-06-2007, 09:30 AM
The owners of said establishment have a LONG track record of being somewhat sub-standard in the landlord category. They have numerous houses in town that are in need of serious repair/maintenance, and those repairs seem to be a very low priority to them. They need to find suitable accomodations for those left behind, then demolish that dump.

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-06-2007, 10:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney Rubble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you are 23, you never spent any time with me cuz i'm 47!!! </div></div>

Let me tell you, when I'm 47, I'll be no where near a call center...

GRUMPY
12-06-2007, 10:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *kuietgrl*</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney Rubble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you are 23, you never spent any time with me cuz i'm 47!!! </div></div>

Let me tell you, when I'm 47, I'll be no where near a call center... </div></div>

Must be nice to know what your future has in store for you because you're the only one.

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Thats the point of this thread, Grumpy. I don't want to be working in a call center until I retire...I'll make damn sure I'm not.

You want something bad enough...you make it happen.

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-06-2007, 11:10 AM
And damn am I trying to hold back from puking, Barney /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

12-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Ok...back on topic...could you lovebirds start your own thread on your past relationship?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The owners of said establishment have a LONG track record of being somewhat sub-standard in the landlord category. They have numerous houses in town that are in need of serious repair/maintenance, and those repairs seem to be a very low priority to them. They need to find suitable accomodations for those left behind, then demolish that dump. </div></div>

Jeff, you pretty much said it all. I've had dealings with them myself, though not in a landlord/tenant relationship, and have heard many stories from people who have rented off of them. The bar's been closed for months. Only staff they really had were two maintenance guys who got their rooms rent free as the main part of their wages.

The fact that this couple are going through a bitter separation/divorce isn't/didn't/won't help any of these tenants either.

JohnnyCash
12-06-2007, 01:55 PM
merry christmas, now go sleep in an alley.

jeffster
12-06-2007, 02:12 PM
true enough Short Circutz...anyone who has dealt with them before know of there shady business dealings, and the low calibre of property they rent.

DOGWALKER1
12-06-2007, 03:47 PM
i read about teh homeless shleters did you know that they have a limit onhow many they can tak ein ther eis one in town that they are only allowed to take in 8 and guess what its FULL that the problem in this city,

NoName
12-06-2007, 05:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *kuietgrl*</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney Rubble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you are 23, you never spent any time with me cuz i'm 47!!! </div></div>

Let me tell you, when I'm 47, I'll be no where near a call center... </div></div>

I can agree with this, since it's unlikely that the call centres will still be around when you are 47...They are already having a hard time finding good quality people to work there, and in a service industry, good quality employees are a requirement. The weak US dollar isn't helping either.

tormented
12-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Either way its sad. Welfare cut benefits to single people when Harris was in to force them to work which obviously overlooked the people who were unable and it obviously did not stop users from being users. Housing right now is horrible with considerable lack of attention to subsidy and quantity. Landlords couldn't be bothered renting anymore cause of all the rules and regulations that go along with it as well it is no longer profitable to them. I personally know many people who are searching for apartments and they just are not there and when they are the competition is extreme. Most landlords want middle aged couples with jobs, no pets, no smoking which leaves many out of luck. Shelters are filled and are able to offer little in the way of housing and its usually short term anyway.

Sadly those are the facts in this town right now outside of considering what the people living there are actually like and whether they are employable. As for alcoholics and drug addicts, they take turns on whose house to drink/use at, they do just about anything to obtain their next drink ect.. and they do make their rounds amongst each other. They sell their possesions and or their families, they steal, they lie. Sad but true and you are not likely to change them.

Barney Rubble
12-06-2007, 07:33 PM

so what does that have to do with me??
i dont work in a call center, i dont live in SSM & you obviously got me mixed up with someone else!

Sweet_And_Innocent
12-06-2007, 09:33 PM
LOL, no excuse b/c they haven't paid anything...they did not get proper notice...Edge, you know them, and you know how they work!!! I am not saying that some of the ppl can not get jobs, however many lack the education and skills; as well, many have different types of disabilities (physical, mental, and substance)....and they should still not be forced out of their "home", b/c the owners have not paid their bills. Regardless of the reasons why these people live at the Eastgate, they did/do live there....and have been forced to live there with no heat. It is easy to say "they could do this..." and "they should do that..." However in the end they are still not going to have a home.

12-07-2007, 06:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sweet_And_Innocent</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, no excuse b/c they haven't paid anything...they did not get proper notice...Edge, you know them, and you know how they work!!! I am not saying that some of the ppl can not get jobs, however many lack the education and skills; as well, many have different types of disabilities (physical, mental, and substance)....and they should still not be forced out of their "home", b/c the owners have not paid their bills. Regardless of the reasons why these people live at the Eastgate, they did/do live there....and have been forced to live there with no heat. It is easy to say "they could do this..." and "they should do that..." However in the end they are still not going to have a home. </div></div> /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/high5.gifVery well stated.

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-07-2007, 07:34 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney Rubble</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *kuietgrl*</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney Rubble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you are 23, you never spent any time with me cuz i'm 47!!! </div></div>

so what does that have to do with me??
i dont work in a call center, i dont live in SSM & you obviously got me mixed up with someone else! </div></div>

No.

IMHO
12-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Its time for a LOW INCOME HOUSING CO-OP. The city could take over both of these hotels and the residents become responsible for paying their rent and handling all duties such as snow shovelling, lawn care,cleaning, simple repairs etc.

Maryms
12-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Any updates on this matter?