PDA

View Full Version : Help with wireless connection

Lazlowe
12-05-2007, 07:14 PM
My brother-in-law's laptop wireless connector died and he doesn't want to spend $150 to get it replaced. I've got a USRobotics USR5421 usb wireless connector and tried to set it up for him. He's got a DLink wireless router with WEP encryption enabled. I've set up his laptop and installed the USR drivers and it works ok on unsecured networks in his area. He uses passworded access rather than MAC addresses for access. I can get the wireless unit to see his network but have "limited or no connectivity" when we try to access it using the password. Any suggestions? Do I need to access his router and change some settings there? BTW, his wife's laptop can access the network just fine.

Hans
12-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Make sure encryption type of adapter matches the encryption type of the router.

axalon2003
12-06-2007, 02:37 AM
Also, make sure the Router and wireless adapter are set to the same channel.
Kill the firewall on the laptop too. It can cause issues, and besides..The router will be a very effective firewall.

Lazlowe
12-07-2007, 10:47 PM
checked his wife's laptop - using WEP encryption and got the channel number from hers. Also disabled windows firewall but no joy there. Going to try again this weekend and go into the router set up for a look see.

axalon2003
12-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Once you run through the set up again, pull the power from your router for a minute or so, and see if that fixes things.