View Full Version : Baby with a cold

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-06-2007, 10:07 AM
My 7 month old has a really runny nose...anyone know what I can do to help her breathe? It just sounds like a lot of phlem in there and she hasn't been sleeping through the night /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

12-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Kuietgrl, My little guy showed no signs of anything other then being stuffed up and having a hard time to breath. bit of advice get her to the hospital or dr and order a chest xray, My little man has had anomina 2 times since september!! I caught it only cuase hes 2 and can tell me if it hurts when he coughs!!

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Now I'm worried lol She doesn't really cough, though...do you cough when you have pneumonia? I mean, she coughs when she's laying on her back because the phlem runs down her throat (I'm assuming) but that's it.

12-06-2007, 11:22 AM
IF he was playing he would play like normal till he started to run. then as soon as he went to bed, after seeing the dr and him telling me and treating it like ashtma. sent us home, My son had no feaver, NOTHING only slight slight runny nose and major congestion at night`I ended up I took him to hospital int he morning to find out he had anomina in his other lung, just sit your head on her chest and listen it will not be as clear as if you were using thesascope but you will hear if its congested or not!! if it is I would take her in and have her seen just to make sure!!

My son only caughed at night time in bed, WE spent almost 1 week total since september in hospital!!! ITS NOT FUN!!!

Also not saying it to scare you either, just saying watch out cause you never never know!!

GOOD Luck let us know how she makes out. there is a cough syurp you can by Dimetapp makes it for babys. THEY are the only ones that make cough syurp for babys under 1 yrs old it works good. but with my son nothing would stop his cough at night

12-06-2007, 02:29 PM
If your child gets really stuffed up I'd suggest getting a Benylin Vapour Plug. Plugs in much the same as a room freshner thingy, but you change the pad every 8 hours and it works the same way a Vick's vapouriser does, but without the moisture.

These things are a lifesaver for us, our son has asthma and the moisture from a vapouriser makes it worse for him. These things have no moisture, and everyone in the house benefits from it being plugged in.

Good-Luck, hope she feels better soon.

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-06-2007, 02:37 PM
The Vicks thing reminded me of a menthol baby wash I saw at Walmart the other day...I would assume that would help too, wouldn't it? I'll have to look for the vapour plug...I think that might help.

I've tried the baby nose-sucker thingies lol but she screams and gasps for air because I'm assuming it sucks the air out of her lungs. I'm a bit leary about any sort of ingested medication for her because I've heard so many bad things. And I'm worried because if she starts choking on snot or something in her sleep...well, that's not pleasant.

12-06-2007, 04:06 PM
as xzavia said the vicks plug ins work wounders also!!!!

12-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Use a nasal bulb syringe to suck the mucus out of her nostrils so that she can breathe easier. She is too young to figure out how to blow her nose, so she will need a bit of help. I found that doing this a few times helped my boys sleep much more restfully when they had head colds, along with a cool mist vapouriser in their room.

Unfortunately, Canadian pharmacies have pulled all the infant cold medicines off the shelves in September... you can no longer buy anything for kids under 2 years old without a prescription... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Unfortunately, the nasal bulb syringe (now I know the name lol) doesn't work all that well on her because she hates it and squirms around like you would not believe and I can't get it in there right lol

I remember hearing about the baby cold meds not being safe, I didn't know they actually pulled them all...but then again, I don't follow that closely :S

12-06-2007, 10:45 PM
There is Vicks for babies under 6 months! I found it! I think I got it @ Shoppers in the baby section.

And there is this other brand of natural baby cold medicine...it's um...Boiron I believe. Shoppers should also have it now. It's works pretty good and is homeopathic.

also, there is a type of saline drop that I buy. There is a Dolphin on the box. I dont know the name of it, it's a bit more expensive then the one with the duck, but its better.

12-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Oh, if shoppers doesnt have Boiron, the health store by the greyhound will.

12-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Lots of nice warm baths will help too, you can buy the eucalyptus baby bath that helps lots, I think its by Johnson and Johnson.

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-07-2007, 06:45 PM
She has warm showers with me...she loves playing in the water lol

I bought a vapour plug, so I'll post how it goes tonight.

Thanks for the help, guys. I had no idea what to do /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-07-2007, 08:49 PM
So far, so good. She fell asleep almost instantly when I layed her down around 8pm. She usually goes to bed around 9ish, but she hasn't been sleeping much...I just went up to listen to her and she's breathing SOOO much easier now! I almost cried lol

Poor thing...

12-07-2007, 10:29 PM
a suggestions we tried from the dr's
if the baby is still in a crib when you lay them down at night roll and receiving blanket in a ball and stick it under the head part of the crib matress, it lifts them a bit helping there breathing, when you are upright a bit you tend to breathe a bit better with your nose and helps with the coughing of phlem running down the throat, we also put a can of water on a rad with vicks in it, it really helps if you have electric heat keep moisture in the air..

12-07-2007, 11:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *kuietgrl*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately, the nasal bulb syringe (now I know the name lol) doesn't work all that well on her because she hates it and squirms around like you would not believe and I can't get it in there right lol

I remember hearing about the baby cold meds not being safe, I didn't know they actually pulled them all...but then again, I don't follow that closely :S </div></div>

my dad found that that bulb didn't work at all either, so when my little brother would get sick and so stuffed up he couldn't breathe through his nose he would suck it out, and spit it out.

it was disgusting and I would ask him how can you DO that, and he would just say "baby needs to breathe" lol

I didn't post this for advice, it's mostly for grossing you all out, =D

12-08-2007, 12:47 AM
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWw...well you accomplished it! *barf*

12-08-2007, 01:39 AM
oh my gosh, what a good daddy! lol!

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-08-2007, 08:25 AM
OMG Evangeline...I'm gagging just thinking about that lmao

Baby ended up sleeping in bed with me, fussing all night. She got up at 5 am and just went back to bed. This is a baby that usually sleeps from about 8:30 pm until 8 am, undisturbed.

12-08-2007, 09:08 PM
thats absolutley disgusting lol....he had a point though

as for helping to clear them up you can buy saleen nasal spray off the shelf at drug stores and wallmart for that matter, they were recommended to us by a pediatrician for our daughter who was 2 months at the time

12-08-2007, 09:46 PM
yeah, I am TOTALLY NOT sucking snot from my sons nose. Gross gross lol.

You know a baby qtip up the nose will help that too lol *shudder* I am still grossed out with it.

12-08-2007, 11:06 PM

it worked really well too.

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Just curious...how long do colds usually last? I don't pay attention when I get one and the sleepless nights is getting to her (and me) /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

She just cries all the time. She NEVER cries...she usually falls right asleep when I lay her down at night and last night she cried for 3 hours and kept waking up all night crying. I spent the night holding her as she bawled and cuddled into my neck /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

12-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Baby's colds can last a month or more but I would take her to a doctor if it affects her sleep for too long.

Could it be that she is cutting some new teeth, kuietgrl? I know that my son always got a bad cold when he was teething and would wake up frequently from teething pain and not just the cold. My oldest was up every hour or two from 7 months - 12 months old when he was teething... it was very exhausting for us!

12-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Depends..I'd bring her into the dr though. Any cough a week or more older nees medical attention just to make sure it isn't pneumonia or asthma or anything like that.

She could also be teething or have Colic though.

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-10-2007, 09:08 AM
She has her two bottom front teeth and when she got those, she had one bad night where she was crying a bit, but she still slept good. Her cry is just different now from then. It's more of a panic cry, whereas her teething cry was more of a moan and complaining. I dunno lol She also fell asleep in my arms twice yesterday from exhaustion because she's not sleeping at night. And that's weird because she hates falling asleep in my arms, she like being layed down in bed.

kuietgrl (got lost)
12-10-2007, 09:09 AM
She's not coughing, though. She coughs very occasionally and only when she's on her back.

12-10-2007, 10:26 AM
you can get cough medicine for her at walmart, use salina drops and a snot sucker to clear her nose, and take her to see a doc if it is persistant. Maddisyn has a cold right now too, it is like a wheezing in her chest i can feel it but we go to the doc tomorrow so i am waiting til then to get her checked out /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

12-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Kuiet, an ear infection is also a possibility. And you don't want that to get out of hand.

I'd probably call her dr and get in as soon as possible. There is lots it could be.