PDA

View Full Version : Euro '08

Bobby Bear
12-06-2007, 10:21 AM
The groups for Euro 08 were drawn on Dec 2 and it looks like there will be some very interesting matchups.

Group A
Portugal
Czech Republic
Switzerland
Turkey

Group A is probably the ‘easiest’ although the Swiss shouldn’t be underestimated especially at home. I still think Portugal and the Czechs will make it through.

Group B
Austria
Croatia
Germany
Poland

Group B will actually be pretty difficult I think. All four teams are capable of beating each other. Poland had a great qualifying run and will be very difficult but I don’t see them keeping up with Germany. If anything, they should challenge Croatia for the second spot.

Group C
Netherlands
France
Italy
Romania

I can’t wait to see Group C play. The obvious choices are France and Italy to advance, especially given the fact that Holland has a bit of a history of underperforming of late. If the Dutch play to their potential though, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them advance at Italy’s expense. They haven’t been too impressive since they’ve won the World Cup. You have to feel sorry for Romania…

Group D
Greece
Sweden
Spain
Russia

Group D is pretty difficult to predict as well. I think Spain and Sweden will advance but it’s totally up in the air.

All in all, I think we’re in for some good football. I’m picking a Germany v France final with Germany winning.

On a side note…It’s too bad England didn’t make it. I think they would have been a lot more entertaining than Russia. In the end, it may be a good thing though. It gives them time to rebuild for 2010. Hopefully the English FA hires a proper coach this time. One that can motivate the players to play with the same intensity they show every week for their respective clubs.

Only 184 days until opening kick-off!!