PDA

View Full Version : router help!

cheeky
12-10-2007, 10:22 AM
I am having "connection" issues with my wired Linksys router. The router keeps going offline while the modem stays online. I have changed all network cables running to both computers, as well as the cable that runs from the modem to router, and still get "network cable unplugged". I powercycle both modem and router, the connection comes back for awhile, then it will drop off. I have connected direct from modem to both pc's and connection is fine, so it's not a NIC issue. I can connect one pc on the router at a time and not lose connection, as soon as I connect the second pc, the connection drops off. I have updated the firmware for the router and reset all connections, and can still connect with one pc, but lose connection when adding the second pc. Currently, I have both pc's connected and have connection but who knows for how long! Does anyone out there have any idea what else I can do to keep both pc's connected?

Hans
12-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Sounds like a network collision. Make sure each PC has it's own unique IP and MAC address.

cheeky
12-10-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by each PC having it's own unique IP and MAC adress? Each PC is showing a 192 ip address when connected to the router, which it is supposed to, no?

Hans
12-10-2007, 01:37 PM

It can not be twice 192.168.1.101

axalon2003
12-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Turn off both computers, and the modem.
Reset the router using the reset switch on the back.Give it a minute to come up.
Power up the modem. Give it a minute to come up, and for the router to link up to it.
Turn on 1 computer. Once it's booted, try a web page. If it works, great, time to move on to the next step. If not, skip to the end.
Turn on the 2nd computer. After it loads up, try a web page. If it works, and you stay connected, problem solved.
If this doesn't work, try dumping the NIC drivers.
If that doesn't work, try manually assigning the IPs to the computers.

12-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Log into the router, and change the default MTU size to 1500. or set it to auto.

By default, they are 1499 1498, so by changing them, it'll help you!

cheeky
12-14-2007, 04:15 PM
I've done that T-Pot. Still not working correctly! There is no IP conflict, when both computers are working they each have their own IP's. I'm at a loss as to what's wrong with it.

Now when I have a computer plugged into the 1st port, it is no longer lit up. Can a port burn out? Would I be able to use 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2?

I think the router is pooched and it's time for a new one! Maybe wireless this time!

Hans
12-14-2007, 06:14 PM
I assume you use DHCP to assign IP's? Each DHCP has a lease time, and it can screw things up if the DHCP server does not release the IP properly on a disconnect.
And yes, you can use any port you like.

cheeky
12-14-2007, 06:27 PM
I found the problem, it was with the power supply, but of course this was while installing new router.