PDA

View Full Version : USB Hard Drive

12-10-2007, 01:54 PM
I am running XP pro at home, and have a USB Hard Drive for backup. It's a Smart-Drive. It has always worked great at the office. Same OS.

When I plug it in here, I get the notice that it's been detected, I get the little SB connected/disconnect safely icon in the task tray and it shows up in the device list and tells me it is working properly..

However, it does NOT show in my explorer, and I cannot access it noway nohow.

What's going on? There are no conflicts showing in my device list.

Hans
12-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Open disk management and see if the partition shows up. It's most likely not recognized by XP, which could have several reasons.
If you use disk management, you will be able to see the device.
If not, then there's something else wrong.

12-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Hans, it is there. It says it is non-allocated. So, I simply needed to format it.

Thanks.. What was I thinking?

Hans
12-11-2007, 08:00 AM
That was an easy one!

12-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Well, theoretically, this should have easily detected, because it had formerly been on another computer with the same OS.

Secondly, is there not a way of using a USB Hard drive on different machines without having to reformat the thing and losing your data?
Seems kind of odd. If I have data at work that I want to bring home, it doesn't make sense that my home computer won't detect it till it is reformatted.

Hans
12-11-2007, 09:45 AM
It depends. Some setups encrypt all data on external devices for safety reasons. It's also possible it was formatted with a different version of NTFS not recognized by your version of windows.

12-11-2007, 11:17 AM
So now I have a different question.

When I click on C: in My Computer, to see the contents of my Hard Drive, my Windows search all files window opens. What's with that??

Hans
12-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Most likely your work setup requires login against a domain server. In which case they more then likely encrypt the content so it's only usuable by the user when he/she has entered the correct login information. This is an option in XP.