PDA

View Full Version : tornado ?

cybolynx
12-12-2007, 07:10 PM
hey anybody here know if there has ever been a tornado touching down in down town sault ste marie ...

i was always told we were protected by the hills that are refered to as the canadian sheild ...

Huggy85
12-12-2007, 07:14 PM
I recall one happening just east of the Sault, must be about 15 or 20 years ago, I'm not sure.

Maryms
12-12-2007, 07:16 PM
1912-1913 Algonquin park tornado occured not sure as i was not born then, but i recall from researching it that it affected the Sault Area in a severe way.

cybolynx
12-12-2007, 07:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huggy85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recall one happening just east of the Sault, must be about 15 or 20 years ago, I'm not sure. </div></div>

no im talking from 6line down to the river and as far as the husky ... to gros cap border

Miles From Nowhere
12-12-2007, 07:21 PM
One touched down and cut across Hwy 144 at Halfway Lake Provincial Park a couple years ago. I remember hearing about one that touched down in a back yard on Birkshire Place years ago.

A*lil*Loopy
12-12-2007, 07:34 PM
One also touched down in Bruce Mines area and the damage can still be seen to almost Thessalon. That happened around 5 years ago I believe, could be a bit longer.
It was never verified that it was a tornado but I do think that the folks who had it whip through their property would certainly verify it.
My sister saw a huge water spout while driving the highway in Garden River area, it was coming up from a water body behind. Freaked her out when she realized what it was.

mokitapupita
12-12-2007, 07:42 PM
i heard of one just north of the sault maybe by hayden maybe im not even sure, but i think whenever a tornado or nasty storm attempts to approach us somehow yes the lakes work as a proetction. even though there are such things as waterspouts too
but i think it would be cool to actually see one live though

doreme
12-12-2007, 07:47 PM
with the global warming ..expect to see more, it will become a normal event.so we will all get used to it...

Barney Rubble
12-12-2007, 08:04 PM
i remember one time when there was one & a house fell on my ex's sister.
My Ex turned real evil after that.
You might have seen her round in the west end followed by a ****de of flying monkeys!
I splashed water on her & that was the end of us!!

mokitapupita
12-12-2007, 10:53 PM
hey ever seen a tornado in the winter?

tippikitty
12-12-2007, 10:56 PM
No but I've seen lightning and that was cool.

12-12-2007, 11:23 PM
I remember, I think it was July1st or 4th. I remember watching the fireworks, and then without warning it started RAINING, like DOWNPOUR, then hail.

That night we found that a Tornado touched down just across the river.

I believe this was in 94.

Buckshot Shooter
12-12-2007, 11:38 PM
I remember that storm; the power went out and trees were down on the streets, made kinda hard to get home after the fireworks...

msmiths
12-13-2007, 12:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CyboLynx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey anybody here know if there has ever been a tornado touching down in down town sault ste marie ...

i was always told we were protected by the hills that are refered to as the canadian sheild ...
</div></div>

downtown ssm, dont know of that

take a drive, 17 n to hwy 556 east to searchmont, turn left at hwy 552 to bellevue valley as you go down the three mile grade,

look up the hill on your left

the damage you will see happened after 1990

Babzz
12-13-2007, 12:11 AM
My mom passed away in January 1995.
The night she had her heart attack it was a huge winter rain storm. thunder and lightening and freezing rain.
She did call any of us kids because she afraid of us driving in the storm.

Macs II
12-13-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm not scared of little tornado

Andre
12-13-2007, 12:32 AM
As far as I know(lived here 42 years). We have never had a tornado within your specified limits.
We did however come close to a Hurricane, missed it by a few mph in '75 when the winds of November came early.

My Sharona
12-13-2007, 12:35 AM
In July of 1995 we had something whether it was a toronado or hurricane go through just east of us. Thru Garden River and echo bay. I remember the month because i was pregnant with my oldest. What m a mess it made at camp

Huggy85
12-13-2007, 12:42 AM
According to this site (Environment Canada Ontario Weather Review) there was an tornado confirmed at Batchawana on Sept 11 of this year.

http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/announce.cfm?ID=779&Lang=e

"a Fujita Scale Zero tornado was confirmed in the Batchawana Bay area to the north of Sault Ste Marie that occurred on September 11."

{not quite halfway down, two paragraphs above the "Record Mean Temperature chart.

Andre
12-13-2007, 12:46 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CyboLynx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huggy85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recall one happening just east of the Sault, must be about 15 or 20 years ago, I'm not sure. </div></div>

no im talking from 6line down to the river and as far as the husky ... to gros cap border </div></div>

Still not the Sault though
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huggy85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to this site (Environment Canada Ontario Weather Review) there was an tornado confirmed at Batchawana on Sept 11 of this year.

"a Fujita Scale Zero tornado was confirmed in the Batchawana Bay area to the north of Sault Ste Marie that occurred on September 11."

{not quite halfway down, two paragraphs above the "Record Mean Temperature chart. </div></div>

Huggy85
12-13-2007, 12:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andre</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CyboLynx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huggy85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recall one happening just east of the Sault, must be about 15 or 20 years ago, I'm not sure. </div></div>

no im talking from 6line down to the river and as far as the husky ... to gros cap border </div></div>

Still not the Sault though
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huggy85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to this site (Environment Canada Ontario Weather Review) there was an tornado confirmed at Batchawana on Sept 11 of this year.

{not quite halfway down, two paragraphs above the "Record Mean Temperature chart. </div></div> </div></div>

True. Question was for downtown.......

cybolynx
12-13-2007, 01:46 AM
exactly ...

i know there have been a few that have passed by and touched down north of us ... east of us .. but not within city limmits from my knowledge ...

Lance
12-13-2007, 02:47 AM
We get no tornados,wild fires,floods,earthquakes,Valcanos.tidel waves,droughts or even a close down the city" type snow blizzard anymore, it,s just dull around here.

mokitapupita
12-13-2007, 05:17 AM
better that way.

sage
12-13-2007, 08:28 AM
We are pretty lucky considering that we don't get severe weather except for heavy rain or snow, I think they had a ice storm here bout' 10 years ago where everything was frozen,no power and so on.
Wouldn't want to see a tornado, seen one out west and it was scary!

dancingqueen
12-13-2007, 11:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">with the global warming ..expect to see more, it will become a normal event.so we will all get used to it... </div></div>

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

If global warming was a reality and your doomsday prophesy is true, would we not be seeing more tornadoes more recently than 1995?
just a thought...

To my understanding we don't get tornadoes because of the mass amount of water we are surrounded by, Tornadoes disapate near water, but there is too much land around those waters for any real risk of a huricane.

Maryms
12-13-2007, 11:38 AM
The failure to believe the impossible can not occur is not a fault of nature. It is a fault of human nature that has caused failure in the world.

dancingqueen
12-13-2007, 11:43 AM
sorry, to say tornadoes cannot happen here is a generalisation. They are very unlikely to happen here of any significnt proportion(sp)

lotsagifts
12-13-2007, 12:59 PM
I think there was one in Red Rock a few years back.

mokitapupita
12-13-2007, 02:03 PM
what about watersoupts..?

sage
12-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Mmmmmmm watersoup.

Maryms
12-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Waterspout

Nihilistic Heathen
12-13-2007, 09:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
To my understanding we don't get tornadoes because of the mass amount of water we are surrounded by, Tornadoes disapate near water, but there is too much land around those waters for any real risk of a huricane. </div></div>

Was curious so I googled tornado myth's and found this at Wiki...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Myth: Tornadoes cannot form near rivers or cross them.
Myth: Tornadoes cannot follow terrain into steep valleys.
Myth: Tornadoes cannot travel over steep hills or mountains.

During the Super Outbreak, a tornado formed near Sayler Park section of Cincinnati, Ohio (near the Ohio River). It was among the six F5s of the outbreak. The city of Cairo, Illinois, which lies at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, was also hit by a tornado that day.

The Tri-State Tornado of 1925 crossed the Mississippi river and the Wabash river, and possibly several other small bodies of water.

The F5 tornado of May 3, 1999 crossed the Canadian River in Oklahoma before it hit Moore, Oklahoma.

The Windsor - Tecumseh, Ontario Tornado of 1946 crossed the Detroit River from River Rouge, Michigan into downtown Windsor, Ontario, where the river is roughly 3/4 of a mile wide. The F3 tornado that struck on July 2, 1997 also crossed the river into Windsor.

During the Super Outbreak, after destroying three schools, the Monticello tornado crossed over a 60-foot bluff and the Tippecanoe River and damaged several homes.

During the Super Outbreak, the Huntsville tornado crossed Monte Sano mountain (1,650 feet) and gained in intensity as it descended the mountain.

During the same outbreak, an F4 tornado caused damage in Murphy, NC after crossing a 3,000-foot ridge, and F2 tornadoes were confirmed in Roanoke, VA and Great Smoky Mountains National Park, NC. Tornadoes formed elsewhere in West Virginia, western Virginia, southwestern North Carolina, and north Georgia - regions of four states that are in the ranges of the Appalachian mountains.

Appalachia has been struck by other destructive tornado outbreaks: during the "Enigma" outbreak (Feb. 19, 1884), at least one major tornado family struck the mountains of SW North Carolina. On May 1, 1929, a destructive tornado outbreak swept from SW to NE up the Appalachians from Alabama to Maryland, spawning destructive tornadoes at Rye Cove, VA, Morgantown, WV, and in a series moving from Rappahannock County, VA to Frederick, MD. In 1944, a devastating tornado outbreak swept from NW to SE through parts of Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia, with the worst damage seen in mountainous areas between Pittsburgh and Washington, DC. And in May 1985, several large tornadoes associated with a wide outbreak crossed the Alleghenies in central Pennsylvania.

High altitudes are not necessarily an impediment to tornado formation - the 1999 Salt Lake City Tornado in Utah formed at elevations of over 4000 feet and produced F2 damage in the downtown area. Farther north, a 1989 tornado shredded timber and left a mile-wide path of F4 damage over extremely rugged terrain in the Teton Wilderness in Wyoming, crossing the continental divide at an elevation of over 11,000 feet. In 2004, a tornado was photographed near Rockwell Pass in the Sierra Nevada of California at nearly 12,000 feet. However, it should be noted (for other climatological reasons) that it is a rare occurrence for tornadoes to form west of the Rocky Mountains.</div></div>

mokitapupita
12-13-2007, 09:52 PM
how about forming on lake superior? or is it too cold?

Macs II
12-13-2007, 10:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mokitapupita</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how about forming on lake superior? or is it too cold? </div></div>

The ones over water are just waterspouts ...waterspout is a weak tornado and you're not likely to see them here.

ByrdDawg
12-13-2007, 11:44 PM
The Toronado of 1966

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/oldawg/92718k.jpg

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
12-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Wow, that's nice

Macs II
12-14-2007, 12:21 AM
yeah there were some nice cars back in those days

mokitapupita
12-14-2007, 01:44 AM
wha a boat you could smash a brick wall head on and still be ok, yeah nice oldsmobile

Sweet_And_Innocent
12-14-2007, 06:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-pot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember, I think it was July1st or 4th. I remember watching the fireworks, and then without warning it started RAINING, like DOWNPOUR, then hail.

That night we found that a Tornado touched down just across the river.

I believe this was in 94. </div></div>

I remember that storm all too well...It was 97, my daughter was only a few months old, and it was the 4th of July. It was raining on and off all day, and the winds were strong, about a half hour before the fireworks were to start it calmed down, no wind or rain, my mother talked me into going to see fireworks b/c my older daughter really wanted to go. I walked down to the end of Church Street, I lived on Woodward. Toward the end of the fireworks, the wind picked and it started to rain, lightly for a minute or two. Immediately I started to leave, holding my 4 year old daughters hand, and pushing the baby buggy with the other, we didn't even make it of the grass when it started to down pour, and the wind became very strong, I picked up my daughter and carried her with one arm. We made it to the road that leads to the hospital, and the wind became so strong that the baby buggy lifted right off the ground!! Somehow, and honestly do not know how I was able to do this b/c my baby was strapped into the buggy, but somehow I was able to snatch her out of the buggy, while holding my other child and holding the buggy that was in the air almost as high as my shoulders. As soon as she was in my arms I let the buggy go, and it literally in a second was down the road near the hospital, gone was my purse, and the baby stuff (thankfully I went back later and was able to find my purse, with everything still in it, the buggy was next to the Plummer Hospital). I started trying to walk up the road, and although the baby (being as tiny as she was) was secure in my arms, my other daughter was very hard to hold onto, b/c her legs were flying, it was so difficult trying to keep her in my arms!! We made it to Gordon Street (which is the street before Queen St. at the bottom on Church st.), which on any other day takes a mere minute to walk to from the waterfront, but took us what felt like hours, as I was fighting the wind, and the rain, and two crying children, and trying to keep them in my arms, also at that time I weighed about 105 lbs. We had reached Queen street, and I was exhausted, and was starting to lose grip of my children(b/c we were soaked), and I was losing hope (as dramatic as it sound it was true). Then a minivan pulled up beside us, it was the ppl we had shared a picnic table with while watching the fireworks, and asked me if I wanted a ride, they already had the sliding door opened, so we got in and they drove me home.... I know that I thanked them all the way home, but they were truly my heroes that day!!! My brother was down by the locks that night, and he said that he and his friends saw a waterspout, but it was a small one.