PDA

View Full Version : Are warranties really worthwhile

Macs II
12-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Are warranties really worthwhile, or are they just another way to gouge the consumer?

I never look at warranties when buying something and certainly would never be ripped off by "extended warranties" /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Andre
12-12-2007, 10:20 PM
The warranty on a product is one of the first things I look at. The more confident a manufacturer is in their product, the more likely I am to buy it. However if they want me to pay for that warranty, screw them.

Macs II
12-12-2007, 10:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The more confident a manufacturer is in their product, the more likely I am to buy it.</div></div>

Ya well ....for example ,I would buy a Toyota or Honda with a 3 year warranty over any other make that offers longer warranty.
Warranties don't mean quality....usually it's a way for a company to sell junk and take their chances that they will still make money after covering all the warranties.

Andre
12-12-2007, 10:32 PM
All my hand tools have a lifetime warranty. I used to repair aircraft and that warranty saved me tons of money.

Macs II
12-12-2007, 10:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All my hand tools have a lifetime warranty. I used to repair aircraft and that warranty saved me tons of money. </div></div>

yeah but you paid 3 -4 times more what they were worth when you bought the tools so accually you didn't save any money. Snap on is a good example of that.

Andre
12-12-2007, 10:39 PM
I worked in retail for a couple of years when I was young and the price difference was rarely that much. That job did teach me though that warranty really does make a big difference.
The oddest thing about that experience though was why people would buy something with a 2 year warranty and then not fill out the warranty card or throw away the receipt?

Macs II
12-12-2007, 10:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I worked in retail for a couple of years when I was young and the price difference was rarely that much. That job did teach me though that warranty really does make a big difference.
The oddest thing about that experience though was why people would buy something with a 2 year warranty and then not fill out the warranty card or throw away the receipt? </div></div>

I know mechanics who used to go around garage sales/pawn shops and buy old Snap On tools ...then break them on purpose and when the Snap On guy came around the shop they would trade then in for brand new tools

Andre
12-12-2007, 10:50 PM
When I was working at CT I used to get people bringing in tools that were 40/50 years old(Grays and such) didn't matter where they got them. Lifetime warranty. Just take it and hand them another of equal value. Have a nice day.

starterwiz
12-12-2007, 11:00 PM
I guess it depends on who you trust.
I give a good warranty with my service, but some don't care and only want price. Extended warranties allow a seller to accommodate both types of buyer.

Most products we consume (at least technologicaly speaking) are designed with the awarness that many people in the industry need to be employed, so built in repairability is common.
Product improvements are held back, and released slowly, so that the workers will have something to do next year.
We have the ability to build cars that last as long as ocean freighters and battleships, but we don't.
I'l bet that the big name manufacturers know what we're going to buy for the next 15 years. They know how many will be simply replaced with a newer, better model, and how few will want to repair an outdated POS.
You can fix that old computer, with a new hard drive, , bigger power supply etc, etc....or?
Over the course of owning 10 items in your life of any category, you might use your extended warranty once.
Put the same cash in the bank, for the same time, and you'll easily pay for one last top of the line to retire with.

Andre
12-12-2007, 11:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: starterwiz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I give a good warranty with my service, but some don't care and only want price. </div></div>

Quoted for truth.
Another of the things that working retail taught me was that the majority of consumers, I peg it at over 90%, don't care one bit about quality. Only price. This is the reason we have very few high-end shops in the Sault.

GRUMPY
12-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Most of them are a ripoff, you pay x amount for a three year extended warranty but you are actually just getting a two year one as the first year was already covered.

starterwiz
12-12-2007, 11:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andre</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: starterwiz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I give a good warranty with my service, but some don't care and only want price. </div></div>

Quoted for truth.
Another of the things that working retail taught me was that the majority of consumers, I peg it at over 90%, don't care one bit about quality. Only price. This is the reason we have very few high-end shops in the Sault. </div></div>

Is that why we don't have a BMW, Mercedes, Acura, Subaru, et al dealership?

kodak57
12-12-2007, 11:16 PM
a good warranty is like an insurance policy.not worth the money unless you need it.

12-12-2007, 11:21 PM
It all depends on what you get it on. I wasn't about to pay Sears another $100 for my $600 small theatre system, because I'd just go buy another if it broke down. They said, oh but they come once a year and clean the lenses, so I told them "All they do is run that $5 disc i bought off you that cleans it".

I did buy the extended warranty on my new fridge/stove/dishwasher, and I'm glad I did, because I really don't want to fork out another $2000 for a new fridge if something happens. it $375 for all three, extended warranty.

The way I look at it is if the warranty price is ALMOST the same as the product itself, it won't be worth it, if there is a few thousand dollar difference, then go nuts.

starterwiz
12-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Fridge warranties are good if you take advantage of the free filter replacement. But $375 over the 10 years or so that you'll use it will buy you a new one in 10 years!

Peety
12-13-2007, 12:19 AM
I bought a leather couch set and I paid close to 5 thousand for it,plus a bought a leather kit I think that was $250 The couch had a defect on the cushion,It was a different colour the spot was the size of a saucer.The place would replace the cushion but the leather warrenty kit did.I don't think I will buy any thing again from that store.

mokitapupita
12-13-2007, 12:31 AM
warranties are just like insurance, they are a waste of money. but in todays day and age, you cannot risk not to have them.

Macs II
12-13-2007, 12:33 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mokitapupita</div><div class="ubbcode-body">warranties are just like insurance, they are a waste of money. but in todays day and age, you cannot risk not to have them. </div></div>

Not really you need insurance on your car/house but you really don't need a warranty on a $10.00 toaster

starterwiz
12-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Could I upgrade you to a $15 toaster Macs?.
I was thinking of buying a new one anyways. 15 bux and I'll even throw in a 50-50 warranty: Break it in half and I'll guarantee that you get at least two parts.

Andre
12-13-2007, 12:42 AM
What about monitors?
I was shopping for them. I narrowed it down to three. All looked good. All had similar features, but one had a 3 year warranty and the others 1 year. Why buy the one with the one year warranty?

mokitapupita
12-13-2007, 12:49 AM
the more something needs warranty tells me the more [censored] the thing is and the actual quality its made from

Andre
12-13-2007, 12:53 AM
"The more confident a manufacturer is in their product, the more likely I am to buy it"

starterwiz
12-13-2007, 12:55 AM
The warranty that you may be paying for is nothing but words compared to what an honorable manufacturer will do to look after their clients.
I puchased a 11 year old used Honda once for $50, and when I went to get it safetied was told that the frame was rotten and unsafe.
The manufacturer replaced the entire bottom of my car: frame, struts, brakes, gas tank...over $1500 in parts alone, because they had forgotten to provide drainage for our Canadian salt. The car was way out of warranty. It had 385,000km on it at the time. The previous owner had used it to race ice rallies. Go figure.

Andre
12-13-2007, 01:04 AM
"an honorable manufacturer" will give you the warranty in the first place.