PDA

View Full Version : game / program lock up

AmdWolfman
12-13-2007, 06:00 AM
For the last few or more days my pc has been freezing up, I can get into a program then it freezes, same with a game. Any theories.

General Lee
12-13-2007, 07:04 AM
remove your old ati drives

Maryms
12-13-2007, 08:01 AM
There is various of reasons why a PC can lock up.

Driver issue
HD issue
Memory issue
CPU issue
Motherboard issue
Operating System issue
Overclocking instability
Power Supply issue
Rom drive issue
Cable Issue

The most common (unless it is a serious issue) are driver issues or memory issues and/or an operating system issue. If it is not a software issue then it will be a hardware issue.. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Another common issue is if the PC is overclocked and not running stable.

AmdWolfman
12-13-2007, 08:50 AM
no, it's not oc'ed at all.I was having a somewhet problem b 4 i installed my new card, but i can't even make it throuhg 06. it feezes up, i let it burnin all night then whent on it about 5;300 . I'm running the latest from it's homepage. I think i want my nintendo back.

Maryms
12-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Well dude it can be as simple as a driver issue or you maybe want to look into a nice Format and reinstall OS and have a nice fast machine again.

It can also be a hardware issue and you know as well as i do that it is hard to determine unless someone looks at it that has experience on PC's.

We all can guess and guess in this forum, but when there is not much info to go on it is hard to state exactly what is the issue.

You may have installed a program that is causing the issue .. who knows.

filthy
12-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Reformat your PC then see, bet it will run mint then. But if this is just happening now after installing your 8800GT, I'd say it's overheating.

AmdWolfman
12-14-2007, 06:37 AM
well it has been acring up recently also. with lock ups, and things. i'ld do a reformat but i got no place to put my games

General Lee
12-14-2007, 07:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AmdWolfMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well it has been acring up recently also. with lock ups, and things. i'ld do a reformat but i got no place to put my games
. </div></div>

burn your saved game files then format

axalon2003
12-14-2007, 07:46 PM
When you removed the drivers, did you check for ghost drivers and remove them if there? They can sometimes cause issues. Just boot into safe mode and go into the device manager. Remove any and all devices listed under display adapters, then reboot and load the new drivers.
Also, make sure you power lead to the video card is not feeding other devices. It is possible for it to be a power issue as well.

AmdWolfman
12-15-2007, 02:09 PM
well i did a full reformat with my pc. Games keep freezing on me. Other bugs. Ideas?

axalon2003
12-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Try reseating the video card, and then plugging in the power only to the bare minumum that you need.
It's possible that you have a bad card, or a bad rail on your power supply. I would lean towards the video card as the issue, since that's the only thing you changed on what was a stable system otherwise. If the card takes a seperate power lead, try running one to it that doesn't get shared with anything else. You may need to RMA your video card if it still gives you problems.

mboy67
12-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Well how can I say this.

1 Your Apt. is too hot at 82 degrees and up.

2 The GT cards have a cooler that does not exit the case like other models.

3 You need to install either ntune or ATI tool to manually control the GPU's cooler.

Maryms
12-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Or even a program like Rivatuner works good for adjusting the fan.

Also download a program like everest to monitor your temps and let us know here what they are.

If that place is that hot ... WOW no wonder your having lockups and other issues. I did not know it was that hot in your Apt.

AmdWolfman
12-16-2007, 10:09 AM
yes i let it get hot, but only has the highest temps in the evening from having the furnace on all day, so it's maxxed out in the evening.
Another thing, I can't even post a 3dmark. It freezes up all the time. And this is in the morning like i said it's cool in the morning.

Maryms
12-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Try this driver here and let me know, just download it and install it and run 3dmark 06 and see if it is OK.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/169.02/169.02_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe

mboy67
12-16-2007, 10:44 AM
post us some system temps. we need all info to help narrow it down.

AmdWolfman
12-16-2007, 12:54 PM
IT won't let me save file, just cancel button shows klikable

mboy67
12-16-2007, 01:39 PM
link works for me and can be saved
use explore not firefox

Maryms
12-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Yes use Internet Explore and try downloading it as the link works for many others as well including myself.

filthy
12-17-2007, 12:08 AM
Your 8800GT is overheating...I'd bet a nickel on it. Try reseating the card with premium paste and get a side intake fan on it. IF those are not options under clock it and see if it works, will tell you if that's the problem but I hear they overheat like mad. Do you have Everest or anything to log temps? Either that or your using a driver that's causing the lock-ups or you have a piece of hardware failing.

My bet...8800GT is overheating.

AmdWolfman
12-17-2007, 10:25 AM
what cooler is used by those guys that are overheating cards. I don't want to spend alot.

Maryms
12-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Did you try the driver yet?

There is driver issues that can and has caused lockups for many users for the GT cards, but the one listed in here a few i know are running it NP's.

Also did you download any programs we in here suggested so that you can turn the FAN speed up.

Why buy more stuff if ya don't need it.

The default speed on those cards are around 30% and the Bios is not allowing the Fan to increase at a decent Temp.

AmdWolfman
12-17-2007, 10:37 AM
No button lets me into the bios., so thats out. I tried every button

Maryms
12-17-2007, 10:43 AM
I am not talking about the motherboard bios. I was refering to the video card bios from the factory does not allow the speed to increase on the GT's at a decent temp.

You can't get into the video card bios like you would with a motherboard bios and you don't need to do so.

Just try that driver "i posted" out first to see if it sovles the issue of lockups.

And if not (it maybe a heat issue) and you will have to download a program like rivatuner to adjust the fan speed or even Nvidia's Own program called Ntune will allow adjustment as well.

No need to buy an aftermarket cooler if this all above solves the issue.

AmdWolfman
12-17-2007, 10:58 AM
i tried the driver. in all games it freezes up.the odd time in a review site or whatever. I think i'll pay someone to do what I can't.

Maryms
12-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Rivatuner 2.06

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

And here is how to do the fan speed adjustment.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/malox/RivatunerInstructions.jpg

AmdWolfman
12-17-2007, 11:51 AM
won't let me dl. it just sits and idles. doesn't show that it's going to dl at all

AmdWolfman
12-17-2007, 12:14 PM
brings me to a page where i look for tuner , so i tried to dl it and it wouldn't let me .

Maryms
12-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Are you using firefox?

If so try using internet explorer.

I don't know why your the only one i know of having such an issue with downloading things, unless it is a firefox issue.

Also did you install all the latest Windows Updates yet?

AmdWolfman
12-17-2007, 12:49 PM
i put sp2 on yesterday, so it didn't help with my problem.

Maryms
12-17-2007, 12:52 PM
To update my above post:

I just installed firefox and downloaded rivatuner np's from the provided link i posted.

AmdWolfman
12-17-2007, 02:50 PM
ok, done. i turned up the fan controller

Maryms
12-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Great.... now do you have issues still?? ... run 3dmark 06 and such?

What speed you up fan too 60-70%. i say 70% would be most suitable in your environment, but if need to be up it to 80% ... never run fan at 100% full speed for 24/7 use as it will eventually wear it out and much faster then normally.

Maryms
12-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Also one more thing i forgot to mention it also sounds like a power issue, maybe a faulty PSU.

mokitapupita
12-18-2007, 10:39 PM
NUGGET!

Maryms
12-18-2007, 10:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mokitapupita</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NUGGET!</div></div>

Yeah dude? and it is NUGCAT not (NUGGET) as that sounds like a piece of T.U.R.D.. lol