PDA

View Full Version : Piercing Question???

lovekisses
12-21-2007, 03:30 PM
I was wondering what someone could use besides peroxide for a piercing? To help it heal.

Also when someone has a belly button pierced do they turn it at all or just put peroxide etc on it.

Its not a ring

cambar
12-21-2007, 03:45 PM
I was told to use sea salt

MaO3
12-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Don't use peroxide. Use warm water and seasalt. Peroxide isn't good for that kind of thing.

A*lil*Loopy
12-21-2007, 10:14 PM
WTF??
Piercing done with a gun? That is how I'm reading it and if I'm wrong, please disregard.

Doing body piercing on any region other than the ear LOBES only is not permitted. It is actually not allowed by the Algoma Health Unit. It is not a safe method of body piercing. Any business doing this should be reported to the AHU as all businesses have been warned and they already know better. If someone has done this it is strictly for financial gain and they KNOW that they are putting you at risk.

DO NOT use peroxide on any piercing, it kills off new tissue growth. If it was pierced properly, then the best aftercare for your situation would best be provided by your piercer, they are required to give oral and written aftercare instructions.

This isn't the 80s, there is now so much that goes into doing it properly.

If I've pissed you off, please see the second line of this post.
Good luck healing.

lovekisses
12-22-2007, 04:15 PM
No the piercing wasnt done with a gun

And Ive just been told to use sea salt so thanks

How long should it take to heal?

rmkryan
12-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Anybody get their tongue pierced? Does it hurt?

A*lil*Loopy
12-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Glad to hear a gun wasn't used. Everyones healing time depends on their own situation, many variables including diet, health, surroundings, aftercare, etc. Average 2-5 months to heal but why didn't you just ask your piercer? They are the ones that can provide all the information that you need.

And it needs to be non-iodized sea salt, mixing ratio must be specific or you end up drying out the tissue and causing problems.

rmkryan, tongue piercings are known to be the least painful of all the body piercings. Not all people can have it done and it is best to have your tongue checked by a professional piercer to find out if it is safe for you. If it is not done correctly, it can cause severe swelling, absesses, and fatal blood loss.

rmkryan
12-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks loopy.... now I'm paranoid! lol. I'm debating getting it done still though.

Molly
12-23-2007, 12:38 PM
I have my tongue pierced and it didn't hurt at all.

MagicFingers
12-23-2007, 12:48 PM
My good friend got her tongue done and she ended up in the hospital on christmas eve a few years ago hooked up to an IV and they had to use tools to take it out as her tongue swelled up all around it.

Chaotic Chick
12-23-2007, 01:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A*lil*Loopy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

rmkryan, tongue piercings are known to be the least painful of all the body piercings. </div></div>

It is definitely the least painful piercing I have had done. I was terrified to get it done. (I have had some facial and body piercings that were pretty painful). I went to a professional piercer and made sure it was done properly, as I did with all of my piercings and was fortunate to have no complications. I have had my tongue piercing for 7 years now, and had no problems at all. I do know one person who had issues. She did not go to a professional piercer and wound up in the hospital due to massive blood loss.

I did have a lot of discomfort for a few days after, from the swelling but it healed within a couple of months. It took me a while to learn how to speak clearly with the tongue ring too lol.

rmkryan
12-23-2007, 02:11 PM
How often do complications arise with getting it done?

A*lil*Loopy
12-31-2007, 03:45 PM
hey rmkryan, complications don't arise very often actually as long as proper care is taken. Sometimes people swell an incredible amount and the jewellery can get overtaken by the tongue. It's rather gross and quite distressing to have it removed. I've seen it more often than I should, usually a result of someone not being pierced properly or with jewellery that was too short.

Usually swelling can be reduced by taking ibuprofin(Advil) providing there are no allergies, as well as avoiding certain things like alcohol especially beer, sucking on straws, elevating the head during sleep, etc.

Providing the piercer knows what they are doing and aren't the graduates of a 2 day course, and the aftercare is followed, the rest should be relatively easy. Also be sure that your body piercer is available in case you need help, it's quite often that there are questions afterwards because during the "moment" people tend to forget little things.

And paranoia is sometimes a healthy thing.

Giggle Squirt
01-03-2008, 06:19 AM
I have had 7 piercings. I also find taking zinc pills along with the twice daily soak of sea salt work wonders in healing. Zinc actually helps your body heal. ANd as for the tougue.. No it did not hurt. Most painful was the breast.

Giggle Squirt
01-03-2008, 06:19 AM
I have had 7 piercings. I also find taking zinc pills along with the twice daily soak of sea salt work wonders in healing. Zinc actually helps your body heal. ANd as for the tougue.. No it did not hurt. Most painful was the breast.

mokitapupita
01-03-2008, 06:32 AM
ever had your tongue pierced? i had that done once, didnt last long though cause i hated it when i had to eat, and i eat alot

Chaotic Chick
01-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Meh,I stopped eating for a few days when I had mine done and managed to keep mine in for 7 years now.

A*lil*Loopy
01-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Man eater, yes, the zinc is something that is rarely mentioned but is a great benefit. Thank you for bringing it up. Even making sure that your diet is healthy and that zinc is a part of it makes a big difference in the ability to heal well.