PDA

View Full Version : Trigeminal Neuralgia

Chaotic Chick
12-23-2007, 03:01 PM
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? (Also known as "Tic Douloureux").
I suffered from it for a couple of years after my youngest daughter was born and it had not bothered me again until recently. If anyone has experienced this, what do you do for relief of the pain? I cannot see my doctor until the first week of January and I am hoping not to have to visit the Emergency Room. (Most ER doctors cannot really do anything for me as the usual pain relievers are not effective. They just give me Tylenol 3 and high doses of ibuprofen).

My grandfather suffered from it for many years, but my grandmother says that he took anti-convulsants for it... I just need some ideas to make it to my doctor's appointment!

Simba
12-24-2007, 12:26 AM
What is it? I've never heard of it.

Chaotic Chick
12-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Facial nerve pain. It causes brief, but severe pains in the face. Kind of like a zap of pain, many times in a day. Since the pain is not constant, pain relievers do not work. It is usually treated with anticonvulsants instead. My doctor in Barrie gave me Clonazepam for it. I guess it went into remission for several years. Too bad it didn't wait until my doctor was done his vacation to come back!