PDA

View Full Version : How am I wireless?

Smash
12-26-2007, 02:17 AM
Hey,
I have a question because I am confused! I have a regular desktop computer hooked up to a regular ol' shaw modem with NO router and no sort of wireless stuff. I just got a laptop today for Christmas. I turned it on in my living room just to try it out and it connected me to a network and I was online!
Can someone please explain what is going on and how I can be online without any sort of router or wireless thing?? I am lost....
Thanx!!!

hemi_69
12-26-2007, 03:56 AM
i posted in the other thread for you also..
plain and simly , you picked up a neighbours unsecured wireless network

Strife
12-26-2007, 11:08 AM
yeah Hemi beat me to it. You got connected to a neighbors unsecured wireless connection. If he isnt a tech guru I wouldnt worry about it but I would get a wireless router soon. They are really cheap nowadays. Get a Linksys or DLink router

AmdWolfman
12-26-2007, 12:06 PM
If you get a wireless router don't forget to password it.

Maryms
12-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Free internet.. lmao

Best there is .... keep using it as long as the neighbour does not block you.... lmao

AmdWolfman
12-26-2007, 02:36 PM
lol

Strife
12-26-2007, 02:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mad_Max</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Free internet.. lmao

Best there is .... keep using it as long as the neighbour does not block you.... lmao

</div></div>

lol....although slightly illegal, it is fun using free wireless

ByrdDawg
12-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Unless he has a bandwidth limit and you start driving his bills up /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Strife
12-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Well its still illegal /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Mind you its not something I havent done before anyways

Smash
12-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanx for the info! lol i did not mean to steal it, but it just conntected on its own. I am picking up a router this week.
IF i do happen to tap into his signal tho in the meantime lol,and it says in unsecure, does that mean he can access my computer or I can catch any virus he has? I am clueless bout this stuff!

ByrdDawg
12-27-2007, 12:46 AM
If he's running an unsecure network, I wouldn't worry about him having the knowledge to hack your computer.

As a matter of fact, if he just plugged that thing in and left the factory defaults, some one else could get in and lock him out.

tired-n-cranky
12-27-2007, 09:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canadian13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well its still illegal /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Mind you its not something I havent done before anyways </div></div>

And pray tell, which law declares this? Open radio waves are not illegal to hop onto...

Strife
12-27-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure which law or if there is a specific law that refers to this but technically it is theft

Maryms
12-27-2007, 10:38 AM
It is not theft if your able to receive a signal without doing any type of hacking to achieve it.

What us illegal is if you download material in which would cost the person money because of your usage which will bring the persons Capped Limit over and above.

What also is illegal is using a Hot Spot finder to find open routers to engage in internet usage. Basically you went beyond the means to find an area on purpose to engage internet activity.

Just because they are sold does not make it right to drive into every neighbourhood to find open routers. It becomes invasion of privacy at that time.

AmdWolfman
12-27-2007, 11:08 AM
I agree with ByrdDawg . If it's locked and you hack into it , that againsta the law. but if his router is giving out signals then i wouldn't bother, like what was said earlier if he doesn't know enuff to secure it by now, he never will. your good to go.free at tim hortons too. all over downtown, in the mall . many more.

Strife
12-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Oh okay.....wasnt aware of that

Hans
12-27-2007, 04:02 PM
While jumping on the signal and use it might not be illegal, using his internet access is illegal. All ISP's have a clause against sharing internet access with others.

Maryms
12-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Yeah so just use the neighbours connection until you get booted from it.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif