PDA

View Full Version : Acer issue

Zanunz
12-26-2007, 12:13 PM
First off Merry Xmas to all.

I have an Acer, bought it in September 2006. The hard drive crashed a couple months ago. Acer won't replace cause its over 1 year old, no warranty. Seagate won't replace cause its in an Acer machine, they go by their warranty.

I bought 2 western digital sata second gen drives. I tried putting them in the Acer and of course Acer restore crashes and gives an error.

I tried to install XP and when it gets to the part where you say to creat partition or install XP, it shows the disk info, but in my case it says no disk present, or something similar to that.

When you reboot and press F12 to boot from CD it shows the hard drive there. In bios it comes up inder the 4th primary IDE?

Acer will not assist me, I asked them if they knew and they responded "Acer does not provide assistance with third party hardware or software. I will be unable to assist you with this issue." They are the worse company I have ever dealt with as far as customer service. I emailled western digital but its xmas and boxing day so they will not answer yet.

Anyone have any idea of what may be happening?

Maryms
12-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Yes i know what it is ... the XP disk your using does not have SATA drivers within it which is the case for XP as many motherboard manufacturers have drivers for the SATA controller separately in which to have to be downloaded and put onto a Floppy Disk in order to load them up at the time of installing windows by pushing F6 to install a sata driver. You will need to know what controller is being used as in some instances you will need to load two drivers at the install point of XP.

Then XP will see the drive or drives, then you can install XP on to the drive you wish to do so, of course you need to make a partition first to install on to.

General Lee
12-26-2007, 12:51 PM
How can u blame acer the warenty is Done

That is why they have EXTENDED WARENTY'

Strife
12-26-2007, 12:52 PM
With some SATA drives you have to load in the drivers first so that the install of XP will recognize the drive.

As for Acer, comming from a tech support background, they are 100% justified in their position. They may know darn well how to fix it or know the answer to your questions but they cant provide any information because they are protecting their @sses. If something that an Acer rep tells you to do, you do it, and it screws up your machine or the third party hardware device, they are legally responsible to fix it or repair it. You should have purchased an extended warranty

AmdWolfman
12-26-2007, 01:03 PM
How long was the warranty on it in the first place?, what was the length warranty and how much more would have it cost you.

General Lee
12-26-2007, 01:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AmdWolfMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long was the warranty on it in the first place?, what was the length warranty and how much more would have it cost you. </div></div>

acer is 1 YEAR unless u pay the extra and its anywhere from 100-300 i belive when i bought my acer laptop they wanted an extra 240 for 2 extra years i laughed at them

AmdWolfman
12-26-2007, 01:09 PM
holy [censored]

General Lee
12-26-2007, 01:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AmdWolfMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">holy [censored] </div></div>

ya so its worth it if u do not knwo what u r doing

General Lee
12-26-2007, 01:12 PM
hey AMD why u not on line?

AmdWolfman
12-26-2007, 01:16 PM
I don't even see in my messenger list. but when you sign in it shows .

General Lee
12-26-2007, 01:18 PM
that is wierd

Zanunz
12-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks MAD MAXX for that detailed technical help. I was doing some reading and found that it said almost the same as you did. I do have the drivers dled from western digital.

Everyone else...I read through my original question and nope, did not see anything that said can anyone critisize me because I don't like Acer? The forum title is Computer Tech Support not critisize people support.

Thanks again MAD MAXX.

General Lee
12-26-2007, 01:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZanunZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks MAD MAXX for that detailed technical help. I was doing some reading and found that it said almost the same as you did. I do have the drivers dled from western digital.

Everyone else...I read through my original question and nope, did not see anything that said can anyone critisize me because I don't like Acer? The forum title is Computer Tech Support not critisize people support.

Thanks again MAD MAXX. </div></div>

hey this si a discusion board u cry because u got somthing that is out of warenty and expect a company to fix it for free Acer is one of the better companies imo

Strife
12-26-2007, 02:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZanunZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks MAD MAXX for that detailed technical help. I was doing some reading and found that it said almost the same as you did. I do have the drivers dled from western digital.

Thanks again MAD MAXX.</div></div>

I didnt criticize you. I simply explained things from a tech support kind of view. Dont like it, dont post

Zanunz
12-27-2007, 12:25 PM
I've just had multiple problems with the Acer since I bought it from Futureshop just over a year ago. When a lot of things go wrong, its frustrating.

Strife
12-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Some computers are like that. No 2 computers are the same. I have had my compaq desktop for years now and have only had a hard drive fry and some problems with XP, which I caused. I think I have had this machine for more than 6 years and the hard drive fried at 5 years, which is the normal expectancy for a hard drive