PDA

View Full Version : Banished Words for 2007

GenX
12-31-2007, 12:28 PM
CHICAGO (Reuters) - A "surge" of overused words and phrases formed a "perfect storm" of "post-9/11" cliches in 2007, according to a U.S. university's annual list of words and phrases that deserve to be banned.

Choosing from among 2,000 submissions, the public relations department at Michigan's Lake Superior State University in Sault Ste. Marie targeted 19 affronts to the English language in its well-known jab at the worlds of media, sports, advertising and politics.

The contributors gave first prize to the phrase "a perfect storm," saying it was numbingly applied to virtually any notable coincidence.

"Webinar" made the list as a tiresome non-word combining Web and seminar that a contributor said "belongs in the same school of non-thought that brought us e-anything and i-anything."

Similarly, the list-makers complained about the absurd comparisons commonly phrased "x is the new y," as in "(age) 70 is the new 50" or "chocolate is the new sex." "Fallacy is the new truth," commented one contributor.

Some words and phrases sagged under the weight of overuse, contributors said, citing the application of "organic" to everything from computer software to dog food.

In the same vein, decorators offering to add "pop" with a touch of color need new words, the list-makers said.

Such phrases as "post 9/11" and "surge" have also outlived their usefulness, they said. Surge emerged in reference to adding U.S. troops in Iraq but has come to explain the expansion of anything.

Other contributors took umbrage at the phrase to "give back" as applied to charitable gestures, usually by celebrities.

"The notion has arisen that as one's life progresses, one accumulates a sort of deficit balance with society which must be neutralized by charitable works or financial outlays," one said.

"Back in the day" raised hackles for being applied to recent trends rather than historical events.

Other teenage linguistic indiscretions such as the often meaningless use of "random" and "sweet" raised the ire of list-makers, as did the pointless "it is what it is."

Reporters were chided for skipping out on detail by describing an event or parting as "emotional," and for misapplying "decimate" when they mean annihilate or destroy, not the word's true meaning of to lose a fraction.

Sports announcers were urged to drop "throw under the bus" when assigning blame to a player. "It is a call for the media to start issuing a thesaurus to everyone in front of a camera," a contributor said.

And finally, any self-respecting writer would groan at being labeled a "wordsmith" who engages in "wordsmithing," the list-makers said.

LINK (http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSN2846970520071231?feedType=RSS&feedName=lifestyleMolt&sp=true)

Maryms
12-31-2007, 12:40 PM
"Speedy the Arrogant Parrot" can never be used again or said again in the new year and years to follow.

Barry Morris
12-31-2007, 12:41 PM
And why would we listen to an American telling us about English???

Maryms
12-31-2007, 12:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And why would we listen to an American telling us about English???</div></div>

Cause he speaks french too.

GenX
12-31-2007, 12:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And why would we listen to an American telling us about English??? </div></div>

Canadians submitted words to be used, too.

Maryms
12-31-2007, 12:44 PM
Yes and Canadians are better at english then Americans.

GenX
12-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Oh, I know...I see it in here all the time.

I'm blown away by your mastery of the language...

_daynzy
12-31-2007, 12:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mad_Max</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes and Canadians are better at english then Americans. </div></div>

You're an exception then.

Maryms
12-31-2007, 12:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mad_Max</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes and Canadians are better at english then Americans. </div></div>

You're an exception then.</div></div>

Maybe, but i fall in the middle of better/best so i am still better then 99% of Americans.

_daynzy
12-31-2007, 12:47 PM
You keep telling yourself that.

Maryms
12-31-2007, 12:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You keep telling yourself that.</div></div>

Yes as it is true.

GenX
12-31-2007, 12:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mad_Max</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes and Canadians are better at english then Americans. </div></div>

I rest my case.

_daynzy
12-31-2007, 12:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedy the Arrogant Parrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mad_Max</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes and Canadians are better at english then Americans. </div></div>

I rest my case. </div></div>

LOL.

That was my point too.

Maryms
12-31-2007, 12:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedy the Arrogant Parrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mad_Max</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes and Canadians are better at english then Americans. </div></div>

LOL.

That was my point too.</div></div>

yes i know canada rules.

GenX
12-31-2007, 12:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mad_Max</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedy the Arrogant Parrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mad_Max</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes and Canadians are better at english then Americans. </div></div>

LOL.

That was my point too.</div></div>

yes i know canada rules.

</div></div>

Maryms
12-31-2007, 12:56 PM
Yes speedy does too.

GenX
12-31-2007, 12:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mad_Max</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes speedy does too.

</div></div>

Such a mastery of the language, commas can be left out at will!

_daynzy
12-31-2007, 12:58 PM
lol

Maryms
12-31-2007, 12:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedy the Arrogant Parrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mad_Max</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes speedy does too.

</div></div>

Such a mastery of the language, commas can be left out at will! </div></div>

Good to know that.

GenX
12-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Don't you mean, "Gewd two no thatt"?

Maryms
12-31-2007, 01:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedy the Arrogant Parrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't you mean, "Gewd two no thatt"?</div></div>

No that would be the spanish american way to state such a thing.

GenX
12-31-2007, 01:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mad_Max</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedy the Arrogant Parrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't you mean, "Gewd two no thatt"?</div></div>

No that would be the spanish american way to state such a thing.

</div></div>

Maryms
12-31-2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah you got it right.

GenX
12-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Yaw, ewe gott itt rite

Maryms
12-31-2007, 01:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedy the Arrogant Parrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yaw, ewe gott itt rite</div></div>

Huh ... speak english will you.

12-31-2007, 07:06 PM
I hate hockey phrases.

"Oh know he blew a tire" &lt;-- THEY ARE ON SKATES
"Takes it to the mesh", this one, I guess can slide. But it is a net!

Or when one refers to "horse power" as "Ponies/Pony's"

"How many ponys?" A pony is a "SMALLER" horse. So why would you want to refer it to that?

My truck has 300 horsepower, why would I say Ponies? To dummy it down?

Miles From Nowhere
12-31-2007, 07:36 PM
I made a suggestion a couple of years ago that never made the list. I had grown quite tired of listening to the phrase, "at the end of the day." when used as an exhaustingly overused synonym for ultimately.

nightingale
01-01-2008, 05:50 AM
I look forward to this list every year. I find it fascinating that this list comes from our twin city's university, and I think we should ALL be proud of that.

I am also personally amazed that I have never heard the phrase "a perfect storm."

How do others feel about that? Is is really an overused term? I really can't recall having heard it....

IMHO
01-01-2008, 11:58 AM
I thi nk we should ban the phrase

BANISHED WORDS...they are NOT banished at all.

01-01-2008, 12:01 PM
It is used ALOT. I heard it once or twice in sports.

My favourite saying is "HOLY MACKINAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

IMHO
01-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Some that I hear all the time are:

Give me a break
You gotta be kidding
Get serious
get outta here
Dream on
get a life.

crazymamma
01-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Bannish words...gimmie a break!!! As if I'd listen to some idiot tell me hey you can't say that anymore....Some stupid moron came up with this just to make his damn ego bigger!!!

And yes "WE CANADIENS" are well mannered in the english language. At least I didn't "AXED you the question!

Barry Morris
01-02-2008, 11:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thinking Hard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thi nk we should ban the phrase

BANISHED WORDS...they are NOT banished at all. </div></div>

True. We can thank an american back woods college for advertising them to the whole world.

GenX
01-02-2008, 12:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Morris</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thinking Hard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thi nk we should ban the phrase

BANISHED WORDS...they are NOT banished at all. </div></div>

True. We can thank an american back woods college for advertising them to the whole world. </div></div>

An American backwoods college that has a high number of students from Ontario.

Says a lot aboooot Canadian universities. Ehhh??? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

GenX
01-02-2008, 12:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bannish words...gimmie a break!!! As if I'd listen to some idiot tell me hey you can't say that anymore....Some stupid moron came up with this just to make his damn ego bigger!!!

And yes "WE CANADIENS" are well mannered in the english language. At least I didn't "AXED you the question! </div></div>

No, you didn't "axe" anything, but you did tell us "aboooot" something, Ehhh!

GenX
01-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Anyone that has gone to LSSU, or has family that did, or does, attend LSSU, just realize that Barry Morris, a car stereo installer, just called LSSU "Backwoods".

Now THAT made my day!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
01-02-2008, 12:34 PM
I went to LSSU,lol

Tutones
01-02-2008, 01:49 PM
I just wish they'd hurry up and burn the snowman. I'm getting tired of winter already!

Barry Morris
01-02-2008, 05:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedy the Arrogant Parrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone that has gone to LSSU, or has family that did, or does, attend LSSU, just realize that Barry Morris, a car stereo installer, just called LSSU "Backwoods".

Now THAT made my day!! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Gotcha RGWR. How ironic, I was just thinking today how careful Speedy has been not to use any of the stupid comments RGWR used to make. And now you've blown it.

Thanks for todays laugh!!

GenX
01-02-2008, 05:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotcha RGWR. </div></div>

Translation: "You've got me, I have no comeback...stereo installers really have no reason to put down any institutions of higher learning"

By the way, please keep up the Rwgr comparisons...it's the best compliment I've ever received in here! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Barry Morris
01-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the free advertising, BTW. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif