PDA

View Full Version : Vista to XP - Can YOU do it??

BrAt
12-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Looking for someone that can take my laptop from Vista to XP. I do not like Vista and would LOVE to have XP.

If you can do this, please reply with price and how long it takes.

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

~ Happy New Year ~

Maryms
12-31-2007, 04:03 PM
I will do it for FREE as long as you have a XP disk.

hemi_69
12-31-2007, 04:24 PM
only thing to remember is to back up everything you have as you cannot revert to xp without formatting

Maryms
12-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Yes all can be done for FREE like i mentioned.

BrAt
12-31-2007, 05:36 PM
Oh, I can back up onto my external first no problem. It's just a lot harder than I thought to do it. I've tried and can't get it. We have all discs and whatnot... just don't know how. It's not just a plain old format like before.

I think it's a conspiracy!! LOL

Maybe you could PM me and tell me how to do it if there is nothing special I need to do or buy?

Maryms
12-31-2007, 07:26 PM
Brat the problem may also be if the componets inside the laptop have no XP drivers then your SOL as some manufacturers are making it that way on purpose.

It is more or less i need to see it or someone i know also can do this for you.

BrAt
12-31-2007, 08:58 PM
Really?? So, say... Acer. They may not allow me to put my own operating system on it?? That's kinda rude! lol I hate Vista but didn't have any other option when I bought it.

How can I tell if it has the drivers?

General Lee
12-31-2007, 09:01 PM
check out acer's web site i guess

Strife
12-31-2007, 09:57 PM
The only way you can get back to XP is to reformat. As for the Acer warranty, they will not cover your XP installation. If you have any software problems, dont expect them to help you out. However, your hardware warranty is still intact.

Nihilistic Heathen
12-31-2007, 10:22 PM
Sounds like you have a SATA hard drive and that's why you can't install xp. Check your bios settings for the sata/raid configuration, you may just have to disable raid.

cybolynx
01-01-2008, 04:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrAt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really?? So, say... Acer. They may not allow me to put my own operating system on it?? That's kinda rude! lol I hate Vista but didn't have any other option when I bought it.

How can I tell if it has the drivers? </div></div>

i say just get used to vista .. its nothing more than a pretty XP anyhow ... and in a year almost everybody will be running it anyhow ... and XP will be like 98 is today ... vista isnt that bad i find it alot better in ways ... once it learns what you do the most is remembers basicaly and tries to make those aplications that you use most load up quicker ...

SURE its diffrent ... but its not bad at all .. most gammers dont want to run Vista cause it had some shotty driver support ... drivers are running stable now ... and even better than b4 ... alot of software is being writen for vista ...

so all i can say is learn it now b4 you try and learn it later ... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

but its not all that much diffrent from XP ... like i said its just prettier ... lol

Maryms
01-01-2008, 09:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrAt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really?? So, say... Acer. They may not allow me to put my own operating system on it?? That's kinda rude! lol I hate Vista but didn't have any other option when I bought it.

How can I tell if it has the drivers? </div></div>

Well for example the laptop ACER motherboard drivers if there is any see on ACER's website if a XP driver exists for your model and also look for the sound driver, video card driver and if it is running a SATA Harddrive you will need drivers for it as XP does not have any sata drivers within it, so you will need to see if ACER or the sata controller company has a driver for XP.

The sata driver needs to be installed on a floppy disk or incorporated into the XP disk, if you have no floppy drive then there is only a the other choice of incorporating the driver into XP with a program called Nlite.

This is not for a novice to be doing as it take special care when running such a program to know what to do. It is easy, but you need to know what to to.

If you have a floppy drive then when trying to install XP you need to HIT the F6 key when it says to do so to install a third party sata/raid drive almost at the beginning of installing XP.

Without seeing or knowing your LAPTOP model i can't say for sure if it has the drivers needed for XP or if it has a Sata HD witin it.

Vista is a nice OS i am running 64-bit on my PC and i like it better then XP. People who don't like Vista is only because they are not use to it or don't like it cause maybe some of their older XP programs don't work on Vista. Some older programs need to run in XP compatibility mode for them to work in Vista which is fine, but if you don't know how to do this then please ask away as it is simple to do.

I suppose i should ask why you don't like Vista.

Also i should state YES some manufacturers are making laptops and PC's with vista on them that don't have XP drivers to revert back to and that is why so many are getting the answer from DELL, ACER and a few others that their system can't really revert back to XP cause of drivers.

If your network card, motherboard, sata controller, on borad video card does not have a XP driver for it, your pretty much SOL.

What model is your laptop?

Also in Vista you cna turn of that pesky UAC popup crap everytime you open something up or want to do something in a folder and such.

BrAt
01-01-2008, 12:55 PM
LMAO!!! I just read that and I felt like I was in grade 1 learning to read again! hahaha

I suppose this is not something I should be attempting on my own.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 3050.

There are many small reasons I don't like Vista but the main reason I don't like it is everything that comes with it takes up SO much space. I hate that they made a 60G HD into 2 30G HDs. The RAM issue is brutal... it came with 512Mb which I quickly upgraded to 1.5G because it was SO slow.

Blah! I just don't like it. I really would prefer to have a desktop with XP but that is impossible to find also!

I don't like not having the option to switch my OS if I so choose, ya know? Why should I be stuck with something (which I have given a fair chance [since March]) that I really don't care for?? Nor fair AT ALL! *cry* I also play WOW and it lags SOOOOO badly that it's hard to play at certain points. My husbands laptop was almost the same but he had XP and less RAM (only 1G) and his ran just fine.

~LOL~ And there you have it folks... my first rant of the New Year!!

Strife
01-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Well Brat I do have a desktop with XP for ya if your still up for that trade.