View Full Version : Baby Puke

Giggle Squirt
01-01-2008, 09:43 PM
<span style="color: #3366FF"> <span style='font-family: Century Gothic'> Due to medical reasons i have had to stop feeding my 2 month old, and now because of the formula when he spits up it is staining his clothes. I have tried to spray them with stain remover before i put them in the laundry but they are still staining. Does anyone know how to get baby puke stains out of clothing? Is it ok to bleach the baby clothes????</span> </span>

kuietgrl (got lost)
01-01-2008, 09:44 PM
I found if I just wash them enough times, the stains fade and come out themselves...even those bright yellow newborn poopy stains lol

01-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Usually when they spit up, using baby wipes right away to wipe up the spit up helps prevent stains. I don't know how many times I was spit up on and puked on by my daughter until we switched the type of formula she was on. I just used a wipe to clean up any puke no matter where it was, did the same thing with my son (which is how I knew to do it with my daughter). After I wiped it up I would take her onsies and run them under some water and rinsed it a bit more before I threw it in the laundry and so far no stains.

Not sure about stains that are already set in so I can't help you there, just a tip on how to help prevent them from setting in... at least it worked for me.

01-01-2008, 10:15 PM
yes you can use bleach on the clothing. Just make sure that you put the clothing through one extra rinse cycle after bleaching to make sure all the residue comes off the clothing. And its natural to have baby puke stain things, I was told after I had my first, that baby puke was my pay for a job well done!!

01-01-2008, 10:19 PM
My oldest was formula fed and spit up quite a lot. I tried to make sure he always wore a bib when feeding so that he wouldn't spit up on his clothes ... also draped a receiving blanket over my shoulder when burping him.

I found that oxiclean stain remover worked really well on anything that did get stained. Also feeding smaller amounts more frequently really cut down on how much he was spitting up as he would drink the entire bottle no matter how much we fed him.

Giggle Squirt
01-01-2008, 10:45 PM
I will try the oxi clean stuff. I have been taking the clothes off of him after he spits up and spraying them with stain remover but it dosn't always work.. When he was just breast fed he never spit up.. Maybe i will try to switch formula.. I have heard that giving a soy formula is easier on their stomachs then a milk based formula.. has anyone seen any difference? Or would getting a soy based formula just be a waste of money???? I am new to this whole formula thing...

01-01-2008, 10:45 PM
We burped my daughter more often during each feeding to help cut down on the gas in her belly. We also ended up starting her on a very small amount of pablum once a day at 3 mths old. After a few days of having the small amount of pablum once a day following one of her bottles in the afternoon, she almost stopped spitting up all together. Mind you this was after speaking to her doctor and him suggesting this as it sometimes does help and for her it did.

Chaotic Chick
01-01-2008, 10:56 PM
My babies were breastfed, and when my oldest daughter was 11 months old, I put her on milk. She was allergic to it and I put her on soy formula. It made her throw up a lot and it stained her clothes and blankets. (And it smelled bad lol.)
I used bleach on my babies' clothes, but a lot less than I do on my own clothes and bedding and it helped remove the stains. I even used bleach on some of the coloured clothes, as long as they were light colours.

Giggle Squirt
01-01-2008, 11:05 PM
My first son was breast fed until he was 13 months old.. then i switched him to milk and he a reactino to it.. he had the runs and bad stomach cramps and i had to end up giving him lactose free milk. and he is fine. SO i was wondering if maybe the baby could be having the same reaction. How do you tell in a 2 month old if it is just normal spit up or a reaction to the formula?

01-01-2008, 11:10 PM
you can't unless you switch to a different formula, try a soy based one. It is hard to tell if it is reflux, normal or a reaction.

Chaotic Chick
01-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Depending how long he has been on the formula, it may be that his system is getting used to it. I took my daughter to the doctor when I thought that she was having a reaction to the milk and the soy formula, but the main symptom she had was projectile vomitting. And she threw up immediately after having a bottle.

I have never bottle fed a baby at 2 months before, but if he seems to be spitting up more than usual, I would talk to the doctor. Formula is dairy based and can cause stomach upset. Even changing brands can make a huge difference though.

01-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Diaper Rash usually occurs with a milk reaction in addition to the vomiting.

01-02-2008, 12:28 AM
My youngest was a huge spitter/vomiter, she didn't seem to be gaining weight and I took her to the doctor. He said to feed her slower. Even giving a minute rest after each burp. I found that helped. She was eating it too quickly. He didn't want to switch formulas unless she wasn't keeping anything in or had other reactions. It worked for us. She was on Parent's Choice. If her clothes got formula on it, I would spray with Spray 'N Wash and her clothes were washed in baby laundry soap. I think I used Baby Soft. I find soap for babies worked better at getting those stains out.

Jackie B
01-02-2008, 12:52 PM
I was going to say Oxyclean as well. It has gotten out just about everything I have tried it on. Also, in the future, you might consider putting a bib on the baby, so atleast it's the bib getting kersplatted instead of the outfits.