PDA

View Full Version : stew/chilli

goodasgold
09-25-2005, 07:44 PM
I am looking for a receipe for beef stews. I have never made one and am wanting to try. I also have a basic chilli receipe from my mom's that I doctor a little. Wondering if others have some receipes that I may venture trying.

Lady_Dalkara
09-26-2005, 09:01 AM
Beef and Vegetable

depending on weather you use broth or gravy, you get either soup or stew, your choice.

take one pack of beef cubes or hamburger and put in the bottom of dutch oven pot. put a half inch of broth into pot. turn heat on to hi and boil/cook the meat stiring freequently.

while meat is cooking chop up anything you want to go in the mix, broc, cauliflower, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes(i did it once with parsnips, was great but parsnips take a wee tad longer to cook)

when meat is cooked throw in all veggies and spices, fill pot with broth/gravy and bring to a boil. once it starts boiling turn it down and let it simmer for two hours.

totaly edible after that but for best results let the soup sit on the stove or in the fridge for another 6 or so hours. all the flavors really soak into the meat then.

hope it helps, i make it all the time.

BrAt
09-26-2005, 10:40 AM
This is a "recipe" that I use to make stew. You can modify the ingredients easily as well as the amount depending on family size or the size of your crock pot. Here are the ingredients I use...

- 2 containers of beef broth (I use the Campbell's stuff that comes in a "box" container)
- 1 pkg. stewing beef
- 1 sm. bag baby carrots
- 4-5 potatoes
- about a cup of frozen peas
- Any preferred spices

Put all of this (except the peas) into your crock pot and cook on high for about 2-3 hours. Turn crock pot to low and continue cooking for about 5 hours. Add peas about an hour before cooking time is up. Right before you're going to serve, mix flour (or corn starch) and water and add to crock pot ingredients until you have the consistency you want.

Jades'place
10-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Hi Brat, I am going to be making your stew recipe on tuesday for supper. I have to work till 4, so this will work perfectly. Just thought I would let you know, I bought a pkg. of stew mix frozen vegies from No Frills. It has frozen potatoes, carrots, green beans, rutabaga and onions. I guess if I add this with the meat it should be perfect? I will add peas at the end as you recommend.

Thank you for your recipe.

BrAt
10-08-2005, 10:50 AM
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif I didn't know there was any such thing!! Thanks, I'll have to have a look for them!

Let me know how it turns out. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/beerchug.gif

Jades'place
10-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Yep I bought them on thursday. At No Frills. Made by Artic Gardens, and it says on it for stew mix, 750 gram bag. Healthy vegies made easy!! I will let you know how it turns out.