adigirl
01-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Who has it and how does it work?

General Lee
01-02-2008, 07:48 PM
its not out till the 23rd

BrAt
01-02-2008, 09:14 PM
We were told on the phone that it was the 7th. Then we were told by a tech that it was the 30th so who knows!!!

General Lee
01-02-2008, 09:30 PM
they told me the 23rd when i called so ya who knows

Killswitch
01-03-2008, 12:47 AM
I was told "some time in January".

Mr & Mrs Allyyyzkat
01-03-2008, 01:45 AM
I was told the 23rd

Strife
01-03-2008, 03:24 AM
I cant wait for Shaw phone to come out. Finally I will have a home phone!! lol

General Lee
01-03-2008, 09:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canadian13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant wait for Shaw phone to come out. Finally I will have a home phone!! lol </div></div>

why not get a bell line ?

Browster
01-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I know someone who has it and it sounds pretty good, mind you one of them works for shaw so that is why they are able to get it now, but I think they are coming out for everyone on the 2nd or 3rd of Feb.

Maryms
01-03-2008, 12:54 PM
I looked and prices will be the same pretty much as any phone service in the market today, $5.95 for this and $1.95 for that ... same old style of ripping ppl off.

Koss
01-03-2008, 01:03 PM
My neighbour works for shaw and he had Shaw Phone installed on the 31st. Seems to work great for him.

Andre
01-03-2008, 01:23 PM
I just looked into it and for my basic calling needs, it's cheaper for me to stick with bell. Oh Well.
Good deal if you do a lot of long distance though.

Strife
01-03-2008, 01:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: General Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canadian13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant wait for Shaw phone to come out. Finally I will have a home phone!! lol </div></div>

why not get a bell line ?</div></div>

Cause I owe Bell alot of money and well......Bell sucks monkey nuts

Killswitch
01-03-2008, 02:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adigirl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who has it and how does it work? </div></div>
It's a regular phone line just like Bell. I thought it was a VoIP deal at first but they don't want to go that route because if the power goes out, you have no way of dialing 911 if needed.

Maryms
01-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Well then that is not any better then Bell.

Killswitch
01-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Well Shaw Digital Phone Lite is $19.95/month for the first 6 months promotion, and at regular price it's $29.95 when bundled with other services. A basic phone line with call display with Bell is about $40. So that's why I'm interested.

Maryms
01-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Well if ti can save $20.00 or more a months it is worth it, but otherwise it is no better then bell. The shaw Lite is regular 29.99 plus tax and to get Call Waiting and Voice Mail you need to add another $5.95 a month to it which is similar to prices of Bell that ppl i know have all services from Bell for $40.00 a month with a 0-10C per min long distance plan depends where they call and at what time.

Killswitch
01-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Call display is all anyone really needs IMO. If it's important enough people can call back and/or leave a message on an answering machine that sits on my table. lol

Andre
01-03-2008, 02:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well Shaw Digital Phone Lite is $19.95/month for the first 6 months promotion, and at regular price it's $29.95 when bundled with other services. A basic phone line with call display with Bell is about $40. So that's why I'm interested. </div></div>

I have basic phone and call display and it's less than $30 for me. Wonder why?
Stand alone shaw lite is $35.

Killswitch
01-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Hmmm.... do you have other Bell services?

Maryms
01-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Cause Andre does not have all the bell features, call waiting, second incoming call waiting, voice mail, 3 way calling, call display, call display 2nd incoming call, long distance package which is awesome from BEll depends on the package of course, also *69 is free in certain packages... awesome i say awesome... These are all features that ppl i know have and only pay $40.00 plus tax a month for.

Killswitch
01-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Well I must have been lubed up and taking it hard then, 'cause all I had was call display and it was a tad under $40. I got rid of it and just use my cell now, but when I'm at work (like I am now) the Mrs only has MSN to communicate with anyone. Plus, the house I recently moved into has a security system that I want to hook up. I would go with Bell again but I already have internet and cable TV with Shaw, and my a$$ was starting to hurt. haha

Cheaper is sometimes better. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Andre
01-03-2008, 03:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm.... do you have other Bell services? </div></div>

No. Just residential line and call display. With 911 and Touch-Tone it comes to $27.42.

Hans
01-03-2008, 05:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adigirl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who has it and how does it work? </div></div>

It's VOIP. It has benefits and drawbacks. Will also have to enable QOS in the router for the VOIP to work under heavy download activities.

Drawbacks :
no internet = no phone.
power outage : no phone, unless shaw manages to stay alive.
911 : no direct call in the same way as a "normal" phone.
Traffic congestion : need to enable QOS on LAN for proper operation under heavy internet activities. Although it's possible they use a separate channel for VOIP that is not affected by the channels used by your cable modem. In that case you would not have this problem.

Benefits :
cheaper
customer service in plain English
assume they have bundles to save even more
Technically speaking they could even provide unlimited calls to other networks across the world if it's direct VOIP. I believe eventually phone calls will be the same way as the internet : flat free rate regardless of time or distance.

Killswitch
01-03-2008, 06:36 PM
The drawbacks you listed are wrong Hans. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Shaw's digital doesn't require an internet connection. The phone will work for up to 8 hours after the power goes out via battery backup. You also get "Enhanced 911". You can also use the same phone and number you currently have.

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/DigitalPhone/HowItWorks.htm

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/DigitalPhone/21FrequentlyAskedQuestions.htm#top

Vianet is the only one I know of here in the Sault that offers VoIP.

tired-n-cranky
01-04-2008, 10:48 AM
It isn't VOIP per se. It is in the fact that it is Voice over an IP network, but that network is not public internet.

It uses a different cable modem, equipped for voice services, and a seperate network.

DO NOT LET THEM TELL YOU IT ISN'T VOIP, because it is. Just in a different way.

There is no affect on it with your interenet usage, becausse again, seperate channels on the cable spectrum.

Enhanced 911 doesn't mean anything, and good luck if you call anything that relies on using your phone number to determine where you are, i.e. restaraunt chains, etc, that place your call to the nearest location automatically.

Hans
01-04-2008, 12:32 PM
What I was getting at is what NetDawg is talking about. While it's not a public internet, it's still a network. If it goes down, so does your phone. I personally trust the old telephone system more then the new digital system when it comes to that.

And usually when the power goes out, your internet is gone also. And even when the power is restored, it sometimes takes several minutes before your internet connection is back up and running. I think it might be related to the line amplifiers they use to boost signal strenght?

Killswitch
01-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Well I don't know, but last month when I went to Shaw's office to pay my bill they told me it was through the phone line. Also, after reading the info at the links I posted above I don't think there will be any issues with the network going down after a power outage. That's why there's a battery backup system.

I'm thinking they use Bell's phone line because it always has power to carry the signal and the battery backup is to keep some type of digital box similar to a modem alive. I think it'll be a good system if that's how it works.

tired-n-cranky
01-04-2008, 05:49 PM
It doesnt use Bell lines.. copper is analogue.... trust me.. one of the guys at my office in Calgary helped design it out there.

Killswitch
01-04-2008, 06:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesnt use Bell lines.. </div></div>
It was a woman that told me it did. I guess I should have known better! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif haha j/k

sniderscott2
01-04-2008, 08:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesnt use Bell lines.. copper is analogue.... trust me.. one of the guys at my office in Calgary helped design it out there. </div></div>

well i love my analogue high speed internet.

tired-n-cranky
01-04-2008, 10:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ding, fries are done</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesnt use Bell lines.. copper is analogue.... trust me.. one of the guys at my office in Calgary helped design it out there. </div></div>

well i love my analogue high speed internet. </div></div>

What does high speed internet have to do with this? I mean seriously. ADSL has nothing to do with digital phone...

Shawn
01-06-2008, 04:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adigirl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who has it and how does it work? </div></div>
It's a regular phone line just like Bell. I thought it was a VoIP deal at first but they don't want to go that route because if the power goes out, you have no way of dialing 911 if needed. </div></div>

Sorry to kill your hopes, it just has a battery built in... if the battery dies your phone still goes out if its a long power outage...

Killswitch
01-06-2008, 08:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shawn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adigirl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who has it and how does it work? </div></div>
It's a regular phone line just like Bell. I thought it was a VoIP deal at first but they don't want to go that route because if the power goes out, you have no way of dialing 911 if needed. </div></div>

Sorry to kill your hopes, it just has a battery built in... if the battery dies your phone still goes out if its a long power outage... </div></div>
Yeah the battery is to keep the digital part rockin' but at least you have 8 hours to use it, and that could be 8 hours of "actual" usage. It may last even longer if you only use it when you need to, depends on how it all works. Besides, how often does the power go out for any longer then that?

Mr & Mrs Allyyyzkat
01-07-2008, 03:34 AM
Well I'm happy...with all the shaw services bundled 2gether including digital phone (not the lite version), high speed internet and digital cable my monthly bill after the promotional prices will be $126.

Giggle Squirt
01-07-2008, 05:17 AM
The reason i LOVE LOVE LOVE SHAW services for anything is because they have 24 7 support and they actually talk english and are friendly.. Bell.. they only have 9 to 5 customer support which sucks beause their internet always went down when i had their dsl servies. And even after you cancel some of their services, they still bill you for them.. I had that problem.. Or they forget to bill you and then send you a letter saying sorry we forgot to billyou for this and that... send us money now!!! Wish i lived in a bigger city with more options.. As for all i konw shaw is getting all my business.. they have my tv, internet and soon to be phone!!! yay for shaw!!!

Strife
01-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Well for the longest time there has been Vianet phone service here. I cant wait for Shaw Phone to come in. Its gonna be great

DoubleXL
01-07-2008, 06:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Man eater!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason i LOVE LOVE LOVE SHAW services for anything is because they have 24 7 support and they actually talk english and are friendly.. Bell.. they only have 9 to 5 customer support which sucks beause their internet always went down when i had their dsl servies. And even after you cancel some of their services, they still bill you for them.. I had that problem.. Or they forget to bill you and then send you a letter saying sorry we forgot to billyou for this and that... send us money now!!! Wish i lived in a bigger city with more options.. As for all i konw shaw is getting all my business.. they have my tv, internet and soon to be phone!!! yay for shaw!!! </div></div>

I loathe Bell. We have had SOOOOOO many issues with them that I was ready to go find ANYONE who worked directly for Bell and punch them in the face. Luckily, once I heard Shaws Digital Phone was coming, I calmed down a bit. Once I get Digital Phone, then everything I have will be with Shaw.

With Shaw, all I have to do is call them and there is never a problem for them to come out and take a look when something is wrong. Their phone support is always super helpful, and they don't threaten to cut me off if my bill goes a bit high one month. I give Shaw A++.

As for Bell, I am not even going to go there. Makes me wanna kill.

tired-n-cranky
01-08-2008, 12:34 AM
One other thing people don't seem to realize is the recabling that needs to be done for it to work with their existing phone system in the house...

BrAt
01-08-2008, 02:20 PM
If you have called to sign up before Dec. 31 like they said you had to in order to get the promo, you can plan on calling back at the end of January some time to schedule your appointment.

We were given an appointment for today when we called back in December. We called again today and were told to call back close to the end of the month in order to schedule our appointment because they still aren't sure of a definite date so therefore can not schedule anything.

403_forbidden
01-09-2008, 12:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shawn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adigirl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who has it and how does it work? </div></div>

Sorry to kill your hopes, it just has a battery built in... if the battery dies your phone still goes out if its a long power outage... </div></div>

A UPS such as a APC Smart 1000 would keep you going for a while along with the built in battery. Although I am not sure how resilient Shaw’s network infrastructure is during times of emergencies or extended black outs. I know that bell either has battery banks and/or generators to keep their switch stations going for a REAL long time....

AmdWolfman
01-10-2008, 12:40 PM
yep, I have hi-speed with vianet and also have their phone, never a prob. I pay 60.00 for internet and phone. . also their long distance is dirt cheap also.