View Full Version : Deep Fried Turkey question ?

10-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Hello Everybody:

Today we hope to cook our turkey in those deep pots full of oil.

When we opened the box it says to use Peanut oil, we have bought vegetable oil.

Can we use the vegetable oil we have or is peanut oil what is needed?

If you know, please post a reply ASAP.

Terry E. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

10-08-2005, 10:02 AM
i think that pnut oil has a higher cooking temp and wont burn, maybe bring back the veg and get pnut to be sure. have a good one and be careful. Chris

10-08-2005, 10:05 AM

No, you don't have to use peanut oil. It's just suggested for flavour and because it has a high smoking point. The high smoking point is good because it won't likely catch on fire. You have to use a cooking oil that has a smoking point of about 450. Vegetable oil, I believe, has a low smoking point. I think it's about 350 or so.

Other oils you could use are corn oil, safflower oil... canola oil.

Just suggestions. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

10-08-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks Chris and Brat:

Well, it turned out very, very good.

I decided after reading your posts to spend the extra $$$ and get the proper oil.

We now have veggie oil for about a two year sullpy, LOL!!

The bird was very good, moist, wonderful to watch cooking in boiling oil. You do need to stay with it at all times though.

I do miss not be able to make gravy from the drippings, and no stuffing inside the bird either.

All in all, it was a success, everybody enjoyed and it was actually a conversation piece.

Thank-you again for your input.

Take care.

Terry E. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

01-13-2007, 11:15 PM
glad to hear that things turned out,, we have been deep frying turkeys for about five yrs now, we just use regular vegetable oil, and they always turn out great! I hear you on missing the stuffing and gravy, so what we do sometimes, like at thanksgiving, is we buy a turkey breast and cook it in the oven, then we have gravy, i usually just make the stuffing in a loaf pan.
Deep fried turkey is so different tasting than regular turkey, that people are usually just thrilled and forget about that stuff though, so it is a treat winter or summer, to have just potatoe salad, macaroni salad, ceasar salad, and fresh veggies with it.
hope you enjoy your fryer, hey , try popping in some wedged sweet potatoes after the turkey is done,,, you will be amazed!

01-14-2007, 07:52 AM
The one thing to ALWAYS do when deep-frying turkey is ..Turn the gas off when you lower the bird into the hot oil, the open gas flames could (and do) ignite the oil and then you have a big problem, once the bird is submerged and the violent bubbling is at a safe level torn the gas back on.

01-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Also make sure the inside of the bird is dry becuzz as you know water and hot oil don't mix...just a suggestion

01-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Good tips, my husband got one of those fryers for his birthday.Were going to give it a try soon.

01-25-2007, 12:06 PM
We had one last August 1st weekend, I was suprised how good it really was. We'd tried one before but I wasn't impressed, this one was GREAT!