PDA

View Full Version : some ideas... :-)

sharon
01-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Has anyone got any ideas on how to keep a cat off the cupboard and table? theres nothin on it for her to eat. I keep everything put away and the dishes in the dishwasher...

LettuceLady
01-06-2008, 12:55 PM
"Apply Sticky Tape to the Edge. Cats hate the feeling of sticky tape, and will be discouraged after one or two tries. The disadvantage is that you may have to keep reapplying it indefinitely, and the sticky stuff may be difficult to clean up afterward.
Tape a Strip of Aluminum Foil. It's not only the feel of it on their toes, but the noise that deters cats.
The Pennies in a Can Trick. This is an old tried-and-true means of deterring cats from many forms of undesirable behavior. Drop a few pennies (or pebbles) in an empty aluminum can and tape the opening. When you see your cat start to jump on the counter, shake the can loudly. The problem here is that he'll learn it's okay to jump when you're not around.
Another method is to place several of these "shaker cans" right at the edge of the counter with just two or three inches betweeen them. One jump will bring down all the cans, and make a terrific racket, which will also bring down the cat.

The Spray Bottle. I don't generally approve of using a spray bottle for discipline, because some people just get carried away and end up drenching the cat. However, ONE very quick spray set to fine mist will do the trick for that one time. If you can manage to do it so the cat doesn't connect you with the uncomfortable feeling, it may be a permanent solution. (However it's my opinion that cats are a lot smarter than we give them credit for.)"

I know for me, all I have to do is clap my hands /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Is it a window that they are trying to get to? If so, maybe put one of those window perches at another window so that they can look outside.

bgrant
01-06-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't really have a problem with mine on cupboards, but if they go on the table, I clap my hands and say "Off off" quite loudly - seems to work well. They have their window perches at the bedroom windows so are not really interested in the kitchen.

sharon
01-06-2008, 01:23 PM
well i guess i better invest in a window perch shes the only one so far getting on the cupboard and table so far the other one doesnt but thats because she chases him into the bedroom and wont let him out. I noticed that this morning. I thought it was because he was really shy which he is, I separate them when i give them there can food first thing in the mornin and i put her in the laundry room so I can coax him out he stayed around till hubby let her out and then he disappeared again. :-( and ideas on that? these r 2 cats we just have had about 9-10days,but she also will chase my min pin and I have noticed her having accidents and she hasnt had them since she was a pup. I thought they were getting along but Bobbie is trying to be the boss over them I guess. can u tell me were to get the perches

bradwc2002
01-06-2008, 01:27 PM
i put newspaper down on mine, when they would jump on to the counter top, the paper slides and they fall off, after a few times of that, they never did it again, and it was really funny to

sharon
01-06-2008, 01:29 PM
well i guess i will have to try them all and see which workd ty all very much for the input, I appreciate it.

LettuceLady
01-06-2008, 01:33 PM
I bought my window perch at Canadian Tire. They are $15-$20. Even my dog uses it /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

sharon
01-06-2008, 01:59 PM
ty lady

LettuceLady
01-06-2008, 02:21 PM
If you go to http://www.canadiantire.ca and do a search on Deluxe Window Seat you will see it there. My cats (and dog) just LOVE it!

sharon
01-06-2008, 02:41 PM
ty i checked it out i will have to get 2 i guess so they dont fight..lol

bgrant
01-08-2008, 02:06 PM
We just put got a piece of plywood used for shelving and it is held up with a couple of brackets. It was under $20 with shelving and brackets. Here is a photo of the cats vying for space. We have this in the other bedrooms too, so they switch places according to where the sun is coming in. There are lots of birds in the tree in front of this window so they love sitting there. I know of people who put a few short shelves as steps leading up to the window if they have a small dog who can't jump like a cat.

http://hosting.soonet.ca/humanesociety/HoratioSweePeaIzzyPriscilla.jpg

Here is one of our loungers in the wider back bedroom ledge:

http://hosting.soonet.ca/humanesociety/IzzyLedge.jpg

bgrant
01-08-2008, 02:32 PM
With the number of cats we have, all of them have very different personalities. I have two shy ones who hide whenever there is any commotion going on. I find it best to let them sort out their own hierarchy or pecking order if a new one is added to the herd, but I keep and eye out and I guess I take special measures a little bit.

One example is when I feed the canned food in the evening. My oldest girl doesn't like any canned food, one girl won't eat with the others watching her, she is too nervous, and one girl is territorial about her dish of food. I put 4 bowls in one room for 4 of them and close the door. These are 3 boy cats and one tomboy. One bowl goes in the kitchen for one special quirky girl who is territorial about her bowl of mush. I put the other bowl on the bedroom ledge for the shy girl who is scared of someone looking at her sideways when she is eating.

Over the past few years, they have all worked out their differences, but once in awhile I have to scold my long haired orange boy for bugging the food territorial girl. He likes to just lay in front of her and taunt her, just stand in front of her, and watch her hiss at him. These two were big kittens together here at my house, but they are not buddies. His snuggle buddy is the shy long haired black kitty, they are very snuggly together. If this boy bugs quirky girl too much I move him to another room for a minute, and that ends it.

They are really all very funny to watch. The shy ones just have to get used to the others so they get confident, I suppose. Maybe some are always shy. I always wondered what happened to them when they were young before I adopted them to make them have their personalities.

LettuceLady
01-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Pooches, you have 7 as well dont you? That would be something that I would need.

sharon
01-09-2008, 12:03 PM
well I don't know how you do it with 7 cats I have 2 new additions and I'm still trying to figure them out. One the girl is my cupboard cat which i really don't like her doing. I have tape all over my cupboard for the last 3 days and she still tries jumping up there but doesn't like the tape. So usually how many days do I have to leave it there do you think before she gets the idea. She knows shes not suppose to be there as soon as we get up of the couch she hears and jumps down and is gone like lightening to hide under the bed. I have never adopted adult cats before I have always had kittens and they learned as they grew that the cupboard and table were off limits to them any place else was fine. The boy cat well hes finally starting to come out when its quiet and he will cuddle with me on the couch in the evening when hubbys in bed and so is the dogs, mind you he likes the min pin he rubs up against her all the time. Suzy & Bobbie don't get along though I guess it's the female thing going on...lol the cats get there can food first thing in the morning and heaven for bid if i sleep past 8am Bobbie gets up on the bed and taps my check as if to say hey lady don't you think it's time for the can food now..lol I feed the cats separate though Omar is a slow eater and Bobbie eats very fast so I put her in the laundry room and shut the door till Omars done.She always checks to be sure he ate all his breakfast like a good boy of she finishes it for him and they always have a big bowl of hard food in the laundry room. Hubbys says hes gonna make them a scratching perch so they can claw it instead of the couch and door frames and then they can ralax on it in the sun if and when we get some....lol well ty for your in put on the cupboard and table ideas. i will wait a few more days and take the tape off the cupboard...lol hubby thinks its crazy but im game to try anything so she stays off the cupbaord Omar doenst get up there which is good and I hope he doesnt fallow her... like most kids do, they fallow the one that likes to get into trouble...hehe

bgrant
01-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Yes, I have 7 cats. I can't imagine my house without them now. I have 2 big dogs also. I think it all started with empty-nest syndrome. I have always been fond of taking care of kids so the next step was naturally taking care of critters. I have to confess that when I was younger with my own little kids running around, I did not have pets because my son had asthma so the doctors back in those days advised not to have pets, rugs, or stuffed animals, so I completely put it out of my mind. Now the kids are all grown up and moved out, and I have replaced them with pets, it seems. I found I was missing something with no kids at home. Funny, now the doctors say that you should expose your young children to pets and they won't be as prone to allergies. I do make sure if I have allergic company, I vacuum, and tuck away the pets in the bedrooms.

Don't worry, your cats will sort themselves out after awhile. Just keep shooing off the counter. I know it's annoying, but eventually they will know you mean business. You can't train cats like you can train dogs, but I think they get the idea when they are doing something naughty.

I think cats like being up high and counters are up high, so if you put some ledges under the windows they will be up high and have a nice view too.

debrac
01-10-2008, 07:04 AM
Thst ie w reawlly cute pic

sharon
01-10-2008, 08:57 PM
yea we have a plan of making like a tree house sort of thing for them and gonna put it in this room cuz it has the most sun and gonna move the couch in front of the livingroom window that way they can also lay in comfort and watch whats going on outside too. its a start and Bobbie doenst seem to mind the tape so I might as well take it off the counter she still gets up there. She knows though when she hears us get up off the couch she runs and hides the little bugger...lol

LettuceLady
01-10-2008, 11:08 PM
I bought a HUGE cat tree on Ebay for $7. Mind you shipping to Pak N Ship across the River was $105. Regardless, $112 for a 6 foot, 7 level cat tree is amazing! Its one of my best investments because my cats are always on it. I have it in my rec room and I wish I had room for it in my livingroom in front of my big window. I can give you their Ebay ID if you like?
Edited to add: the cat tree was brand new /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

sharon
01-14-2008, 12:45 PM
sure i would love the address.