PDA

View Full Version : OEM vista

General Lee
01-08-2008, 03:27 PM
ok so i bought an ACER desktop well i am gutting it next week and have widows vista home premium will i be able to use this key again with the new stuff? also if u have an oem copy of vista can u call acer and get a copy of the 64 Bit?

Maryms
01-08-2008, 04:09 PM
I am not sure about calling Acer and getting 64-bit, but if you can then that would be great, but i don't think you will be able to us the keys from any of them on a generic build as many keys on OEM machines like Acer/Dell/HP are tied to their motherboards.

There is however at times that you can use the key on a generic (Win XP most of the time) build, but Vista for certain OEM machines has their own boot loader to recognize their mobo's and that is why you can't use the OS on a generic build.

You could try it is all and if it does not work. Then of course you will need to purchase a copy of Vista.

filthy
01-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Yes you are correct SM, the OEM keys are tied to the BIOS right from the manufacturer. Like I told you before though General...I called Microsoft and they validated my OEM Vista x86 on my Acer media PC after I formatted and installed Vista Home Premium x64 from my main machine.

Maryms
01-08-2008, 04:30 PM
There was at times Filthy that can be done depending on the Key that is being activated as once you give that 16 digit number MS on the phone can determine if it is a OEM System Build like Acer/Dell/HP or a store bought retail or a store/online OEM version.

The best thing to do General is try it out and see if it works and if so .. then your Rocking.

Worse case scenario is you will have to buy a copy of Vista.

General Lee
01-08-2008, 04:44 PM
well i am not dumping the mobo it is going in the wifes wiyh everything else

Hans
01-08-2008, 04:44 PM
It's tied to the key stored in the SLIC of the oem bios + there's a license file that needs to be installed under windows that's issued to the OEM manufacturer for OEM pre activation to work.
That being said, when SP1 comes out they will tighten the OEM activation, as it's currently widely used to bypass Vista activation and "pass" genuine check.
It's actually amazingly easy to do, and currently Microsoft can not distinguish a "real" OEM activation from a "fake" OEM activation.

Hans
01-08-2008, 04:45 PM
If you are using the original Acer MB then you have unlimited activation, as long as you have the OEM license file.

General Lee
01-08-2008, 04:48 PM
i guess i ll pick my self up a copy of the 64 bit vista for me then i ll run xp till i can get a 64 bit dvd

Maryms
01-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Its pretty cheap to buy a copy at times when on sale $180.00-$192.00 for Ultimate 64-bit OEM.

General Lee
01-08-2008, 04:53 PM
i just want premium what is the big difference

Maryms
01-08-2008, 04:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: General Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just want premium what is the big difference</div></div>

Nothing really except a few extra security features in Ultimate, i have Ultimate 64-bit and it runs great.

Oh and something about 4GB's of memory being only shown up in Ultimate i THINK, look into that one though as i confused as i know premium 32-bit its a no go for showing up 4GB or maybe a patch is out i forget now.

General Lee
01-08-2008, 04:55 PM
there is suppose to be a fix for that o read somwhere

Maryms
01-08-2008, 04:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: General Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is suppose to be a fix for that o read some where</div></div>

Ya i edited my post.

Hans
01-08-2008, 04:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: General Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i guess i ll pick my self up a copy of the 64 bit vista for me then i ll run xp till i can get a 64 bit dvd </div></div>

OEM does not work like that. The bios only holds the SLIC key for the version it was licensed for.

Maryms
01-08-2008, 05:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: General Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i guess i ll pick my self up a copy of the 64 bit vista for me then i ll run xp till i can get a 64 bit dvd </div></div>

OEM does not work like that. The bios only holds the SLIC key for the version it was licensed for.</div></div>

We all know that HANS as it has been stated several times now, but he wants to give the ACER to his wife basically and he will buy 64-bit for himself.

Now as for the SLIC there is copies on the net that have this bi-passed and MS is having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to correct that issue.

Hans
01-08-2008, 05:07 PM
He did not say anything about 2 different systems. He just wants to know if he can reactivate if he keeps the MB and changes everything else. And he also wants to know if he can call Acer and get a 64 bit version for the same system for free.

Maryms
01-08-2008, 05:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He did not say anything about 2 different systems. He just wants to know if he can reactivate if he keeps the MB and changes everything else. And he also wants to know if he can call Acer and get a 64 bit version for the same system for free.</div></div>

Yes but read on as he talks about his wife getting his old parts, which includes the ACER build in which then it should re-activate or he has to call MS to do so and it should re-activate as he is using the ACER mobo still for his wife.

As for himself well he will buy a copy of Vista 64-bit for his new builds as even if ACER gave him a 64-bit version he may/will/could have a problem activating it on his NEW none acer build.

No worries he knows now what to do.. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Hans
01-08-2008, 05:12 PM
It might not be so simple if he is just going to use the mb with all the other parts.
I am pretty sure OEM behaves the same way as retail when it comes to hardware changes.
So he might have to reactivate the OEM.

Maryms
01-08-2008, 05:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It might not be so simple if he is just going to use the mb with all the other parts.
I am pretty sure OEM behaves the same way as retail when it comes to hardware changes.
So he might have to reactivate the OEM.</div></div>

Yes that is what i said in which he may have to call MS to do so and as long as he states he only did a Format and sticks to that story he will be fine.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Hans
01-08-2008, 05:16 PM
MS can not reactivate OEM...

Maryms
01-08-2008, 05:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MS can not reactivate OEM...</div></div>

Wanna Bet, done it myself?

Hans
01-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Each OEM is assigned the same OEM number for each copy they install. Retail numbers do not work on OEM versions.
I would be interested to know how they did that in your case.

Maryms
01-08-2008, 07:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Each OEM is assigned the same OEM number for each copy they install. Retail numbers do not work on OEM versions.
I would be interested to know how they did that in your case.</div></div>

Well i am not going to divulge my information on how in a public forum nor will i PM it either, but i will state it is on the internet to find out how.

filthy
01-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Yes they can, my son got a top o the line Acer from Future Shop. I formatted it immediately to get rid of all the Acer crap software and MS validated it. It came with 32 bit Vista Premium and I used my 64 bit Vista Premium disk to reinstall. Of course his OEM key didn't work so I called MS and they validated it in 2 minutes.

General Lee
01-08-2008, 09:41 PM
what about just buying the upgrad from xp to vista ? think is worth it? i h ave a retail copy of xp pro

Maryms
01-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Nah stay away as far as you can from any upgrade of any windows OS.

General Lee
01-09-2008, 07:53 AM
i guess i will try ebay then i want retail if i can

Hans
01-09-2008, 05:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Filthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes they can, my son got a top o the line Acer from Future Shop. I formatted it immediately to get rid of all the Acer crap software and MS validated it. It came with 32 bit Vista Premium and I used my 64 bit Vista Premium disk to reinstall. Of course his OEM key didn't work so I called MS and they validated it in 2 minutes. </div></div>

But then it's not OEM anymore. Was your 64 Bit Premium an OEM version?

filthy
01-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Yes it was OEM, I bought it off Direct Canada, only thing on that order too. I thought I would have to buy a piece of hardware to make it legit....lol.

Maryms
01-09-2008, 06:09 PM
I know what Hans is trying to say is a RETAIL key won't work on a OEM copy, maybe true so far for Vista, but as for XP there is ways to change a certain file to make Retail a OEM copy and vice versa.

You can also buy a Retail copy of Vista and install it onto a OEM off the shelf PC and it will work fine, just like you can buy a OEM version for it.

Now as for OEM off the shelf keys working with a OEM bought copy of Vista this can work at times depends on the manufacturer and a SLIC boot loader can also bypass this.

So it is possible illegally to do so.

Cruel_Intentions
01-09-2008, 06:48 PM
There are a couple problems here:

MS can validate an OEM key in the sense that they can check if it is a valid/legit key. However if there is a problem with activation or the legitimacy of the key, they will not issue a replacement key. That is up to the original equipment manufacturer to do since they purchased the key from MS under contract.

However, don't forget that all of this hinges on the tech sitting on the other end of the phone and how good that person is at their job. It is possible to call into MS with an OEM key and be given a replacement key (NOTE: It will not be an OEM key), it just all depends on the person sitting on the other end of the phone.

Hans
01-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Exactly. OEM activation is different in Vista then it was before if you purchased it preinstalled from a main OEM. They all use the same key, because the key is not what is used for validation. It's the license and SLIC embedded information that is used to determine activation on an OEM machine.
Here's some more detailed info on this :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490212.aspx

The OEM versions you can buy of places like Newegg are different, they use the CD key and a system signature so Microsoft can activate it the same way as it would activate a retail copy.

I believe the OP was talking about a preinstalled version from a main OEM, which will use SLP 2.0 to activate.

filthy
01-10-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure why they did it, maybe tech on the phone did it out of generosity or stupidity, but...

I bought and built a new system from scratch, along with an OEM copy of Vista Home Premium x64.

My son got an Acer from Future Shop with pre-installed Vista Home Premium x86.

I formatted his to get rid of the backup partition and the ton of Acer software that comes pre-installed.

Now we all know OEM's don't give you a single disk, but there is a key on the side of the case.

I did a full format using my OEM seperately purchased Vista x64 and his key would not work, just as I had expected.

I called MS, told them I had to format due to system files being corrupt, gave them my son's OEM Vista x86 key and they validated it, with the OS being x64 now on his system.

filthy
01-10-2008, 12:07 AM
p.s. if I have to ever format again, is there a way I can "backup" the validation file to reinstall, or anything of the sort? I used to backup the WGA file from my old XP rig, not sure about Vista but it would have the exact same hardware configuration.

Cruel_Intentions
01-10-2008, 12:38 AM
with Vista, there is no difference between an x64 key or an x86 key. When you buy Vista (retail only), the key could be used for either version, which is why the DVD comes with both X64 and X32. However, after activating, they key can no longer be used for the other version. Since when you called the tech he provided you with a retail key (which is the only key he can provide), you could have installed either version, but now can only be used for x64.

filthy
01-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Not true, my OEM disk only has Vista Home Premium x64, because I wanted to use my disk to reinstall the x86 version on my son's PC but it doesn't give you any options.

Hans
01-10-2008, 01:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Filthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">p.s. if I have to ever format again, is there a way I can "backup" the validation file to reinstall, or anything of the sort? I used to backup the WGA file from my old XP rig, not sure about Vista but it would have the exact same hardware configuration. </div></div>

Yes, backup all files with the following file extension :

http://filext.com/file-extension/XRM-MS

I am not sure if the actual file is saved on your pc or not. If not, the files can be found with a little searching on the net.

You will however need to punch in a few commands to install this file, and will require the oem serial. The oem serial can be found in the Microsoft knowledge base for each Vista version.

Cruel_Intentions
01-11-2008, 05:28 AM
notice how I stated that it was the retail only version of the Vista DVD that comes with both x86 and x64 versions of Vista? OEM only comes with one or the other because a OEM will have already made the choice of which to install long before shipping a computer w/ OEM media.

Hans, mind pointing me to the KB article with the OEM Serials?

Hans
01-11-2008, 08:00 AM
The following link is a document that comes directly from Microsoft, so any keys listed are public information. I should have noted on my previous post that these are product keys, which are different from the OEM COA key.

http://oem.microsoft.com/downloads/world...Product_Key.doc (http://oem.microsoft.com/downloads/worldwide/vistareadiness/Windows_Welcome_May_Not_Prompt_for_Product_Key.doc )