PDA

View Full Version : Blu-ray Wins and HD-DVD will be Dropped

Maryms
01-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Paramount in HD-DVD blow
By Matthew Garrahan and Mariko Sanchanta in Las Vegas

Published: January 8 2008 02:00 | Last updated: January 8 2008 02:00

Paramount is poised to drop its support of HD-DVD following Warner Brothers' recent backing of Sony's Blu-ray technology, in a move that could sound the death knell of HD-DVD and bring the home entertainment format war to a definitive end.

Paramount and DreamWorks Animation, which makes the Shrek films, came out in support of HD-DVD last summer, joining General Electric's Universal Studios as the main backers of the Toshiba format.

However, Paramount, which is owned by Viacom, is understood to have a clause in its contract with the HD-DVD camp that would allow it to switch sides in the event of Warner backing Blu-ray, according to people familiar with the situation.

Paramount is set to have a bumper 2008 with several likely blockbusters, including the latest instalment in the Indiana Jones franchise, slated for release.

Paramount joining the Blu-ray camp would leave HD-DVD likely to suffer the same fate as Sony's now obsolete Betamax video technology, which lost out to VHS in a similar format war in the 1980s.

Warner's decision last week to throw its weight behind Blu-ray saw it join Walt Disney, 20th Century Fox and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer as backers of the Sony format.

The Warner move gives Blu-ray about 70 per cent of Hollywood's output, although the format's grip on film content will increase further when Paramount comes aboard.

It is unclear whether DreamWorks Animation has the same get-out clause in its contract with the HD-DVD camp. However, Paramount and DreamWorks have a close relationship, with Paramount distributing DreamWorks Animation films.

The two companies also signed their HD-DVD contracts at the same time.

Meanwhile, Universal has declined to comment on its next- generation DVD plans following the Warner move.

Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, yesterday held out an olive branch to its rival in the next-generation DVD format wars following Warner's decision to back Blu-ray.

Sir Howard said the company would be "open to dialogue" with the rival high-definition HD-DVD camp to "grow the market". The move came as new figures showed that Blu-ray had opened up a decisive lead over the rival home entertainment format.

Sir Howard said: "We are not going to push people around. We'll talk to anyone . . . we have a lot of work to do to grow the market. We'll be systematic and open to dialogue at all times."

He added that Sony still had "a lot of work" to do to get Blu-ray "widely accepted" among American consumers.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ea637496-bd8d-11dc-b7e6-0000779fd2ac.html

Maryms
01-09-2008, 08:37 AM
More information about it or similar in certain parts of this article:

Toshiba loses ground in high-definition DVD battle.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/07/high.definition

oneof3
01-09-2008, 08:46 AM
And yet....

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aQMGgh2LV_bU&refer=japan

Maryms
01-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Oh of course they will deny it for now.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

403_forbidden
01-09-2008, 11:06 AM
This is a bummer for all those that purchased Toshiba HD series players. If Blue-ray wins the format war than HD players will be nothing more than glorified standard upconverting players. Although it is predicted that the hi def war could be drawn out well into the next decade. Time will tell....I just wished they would make a decision and be done with it. I want to get a hi-def player, but not until this format war nonsense is over….

Maryms
01-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Buy a Dual-Player is all.

Ultra54
01-09-2008, 05:36 PM
I hate the way you have to insert a title when posting a link (http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/asus_bc-1205pt_blu-ray/)

403_forbidden
01-14-2008, 11:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soonet Member</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a Dual-Player is all. </div></div>

Yes, but LG (as far as set top boxes go) is the only one that makes them and they only support certian aspects of both HD and blue-ray.....

Koss
01-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Blu Ray will win just in time for HD Digital Download to be ready to primetime.

froggy_doddy
01-15-2008, 04:53 PM
If blu-ray wins that's fine, as long as we get profile 2.0 BD players for $199, and $249 SOON. REAL SOON.

That's the nice thing about HD DVD. It's doesn't have all these different profiles, and it's priced right. However, if you can't buy "software", then the hardware is pretty useless.

Hans
01-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Make a backup and convert it to whatever format you like best. That would be my solution.

Maryms
01-19-2008, 09:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hans</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make a backup and convert it to whatever format you like best. That would be my solution.</div></div>

What program converts Blueray to HD DVD or vice versa?

AmdWolfman
01-19-2008, 11:07 AM
google it

Maryms
01-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Hey hans what program do you use for Blue-ray to HD-DVD conversion or vice versa?

IamMe77
01-21-2008, 04:33 PM
I DONT THINK IT WILL BE DROPPED JUST YET MICROSOFT BACKS IT UP AND THERE THE BIGGEST COMPANY IN THE WORLD they could start making GAMES FOR PCS THAT ESCLUSIVELY USE HD DVD IF THEY WANTED TO&gt;

tired-n-cranky
01-21-2008, 11:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoveToSing77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I DONT THINK IT WILL BE DROPPED JUST YET MICROSOFT BACKS IT UP AND THERE THE BIGGEST COMPANY IN THE WORLD they could start making GAMES FOR PCS THAT ESCLUSIVELY USE HD DVD IF THEY WANTED TO&gt; </div></div>

Whether they back it or not, if no hardware manufacturers make the drives, it is pointless. HD-DVD is gone,

Maryms
01-22-2008, 07:33 AM
I agree with NetworkDawg as if no manufacturers build units for HD-DVD then it will be dropped and this will force Microsoft to use Blue-Ray units in their future consoles and of course use Blue-Ray media.

In my opinion, i do think Blue-Ray is better then HD-DVD.

JohnnyCash
01-22-2008, 11:45 AM
HD is on the way out, its the same lame people defending HD who defend plasma. 2 years from now you wont find an HD player or plasma tv in a store, (well actually a good name brand one, you'll still see the primas and legends)

filthy
01-22-2008, 01:01 PM
I have to admit that a 1080p LCD HDTV with a Blu-Ray player is the best solution for the best entertainment experience.

tired-n-cranky
01-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Nothing wrong with plasma tvs, I have a very nice 42" Samsung plasma that there is absolutely nothing wrong with.

Hans
01-22-2008, 05:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dusk-Till-Dawn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey hans what program do you use for Blue-ray to HD-DVD conversion or vice versa? </div></div>

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

Works like a charm and it's my favorite program to read DVD discs.

Add CloneDVD 2 to it (from the same company), and you can backup anything and convert it to fit on a single DVD, remove all the trailers, warnings, menu's and other junk.

You end up with a DVD on a single disc that you pop in and it plays by itself. It's great to backup the kids DVD's, and this way they don't have to wait until all the FBI and copyright warnings, company logo's and other junk is done before they can see their Scooby Doo Movie.
In other words, you end up with a DVD the way it should be...

H.E. Pennypacker
01-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Major Hollywood Movie Studios Support Blu-ray
Disney • Fox • Lionsgate • MGM• Sony • Warner Bros.

More of the Top HDTV Manufacturers Produce Blu-ray Players
Sony • Samsung • Phillips • Panasonic • Pioneer • LG • Sharp • Hitachi

Four of the Most Innovative Computer Brands Support Blu-ray
Apple • Dell • HP • Sony

More Hollywood Movies Including Disney Are Available Only On Blu-ray™
More of the top HDTV manufacturers produce Blu-ray players
Sony • Samsung • Phillips • Panasonic • Pioneer • LG • Sharp • Hitachi Four of the most innovative computer brands support Blu-ray
Apple • Dell • HP • Sony

Maryms
01-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Yeah so its a waste of time and money to by HD-DVD disks and convert them to blue-ray as that is a long process to do expecially when you have to convert 15-25GB of data.

IamMe77
01-22-2008, 09:56 PM
dont FORGET THE BIGGEST COMPANY IN THE WORLD MICROSOFT BACKS HD DVD

tired-n-cranky
01-22-2008, 10:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoveToSing77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont FORGET THE BIGGEST COMPANY IN THE WORLD MICROSOFT BACKS HD DVD </div></div>

Doesn't mean [censored]. Others did too, and guess what, THEY CHANGED!

tired-n-cranky
01-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Ohh yeah, another thing, Microsoft IS NOT the biggest company in the world by far.

Here is the top 10 largest companies, and oh... Microsoft isn't even in the top 10!
1. Wal-Mart Stores
2. Exxon Mobil
3. Royal Dutch Shell
4. BP
5. General Motors
6. Toyota Motor
7. Chevron
8. DaimlerChrysler
9. ConocoPhillips
10. Total

filthy
01-22-2008, 11:42 PM
I still say neither will be dropped, both are staying. There is a market for both, some enjoy HD-DVD and others prefer Blu-Ray. I compare Blu-Ray to Kraft Peanut Butter and HD-DVD to No Name Peanut Butter....lol.

I do think when it comes to movies that Blu-Ray will sell more copies in the end.

opinionated
01-23-2008, 07:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Filthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> some enjoy HD-DVD and others prefer Blu-Ray</div></div>

And I'm sure some enjoy betamax and some prefer VHS....hell...betamax is smaller, I'm sure thats a bonus for a lot of people... but look at what happened to that format war.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Filthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I compare Blu-Ray to Kraft Peanut Butter and HD-DVD to No Name Peanut Butter....lol.</div></div>

The problem with this analogy is the fact that you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on a different type of bread to eat the peanut butter on :P