PDA

View Full Version : DSL Providers: Sympatico, Teksavvy, Vianet...

403_forbidden
01-10-2008, 08:44 PM
I was wondering how other DSL providers like Vianet and Teksavvy provide service over BELL phone lines. Do they rent space on there (BELL) existing lines and DSL switches?
For example, if a person was currently with Sympatico and getting around 3 to 3.5 Mbps on a 5 Mbps profile because they are on the limits of DSL lengths, and you switched to another DSL provider such as Vianet or Tech Savvy would you still only get the same 3 to 3.5Mbps because you are at the limit of DSL for Sympatico?

Maybe NeTDaWg can chime in about Teksavvy?

\m/ Rich \m/
01-10-2008, 11:40 PM
i got the eact same speeds with vianet as i do with Bell. 4.5mbps on a 5 meg profile. I imagine that when i transition to teksavvy, i'll be getting the same.

Andre
01-11-2008, 07:59 AM
I have Teksavvy Premium DSL and they bumped me up to a 6 MB profile. Increased my bandwidth cap from 100 to 200GB/month and lowered the cost of extra bandwidth from $3/GB to 25/GB and I'm still paying $29.95/month.
Suck it Bell...suck it long and suck it hard!

Andre
01-11-2008, 08:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: There's no Place Like 127.0.0.1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering how other DSL providers like Vianet and Teksavvy provide service over BELL phone lines. Do they rent space on there (BELL) existing lines and DSL switches?
For example, if a person was currently with Sympatico and getting around 3 to 3.5 Mbps on a 5 Mbps profile because they are on the limits of DSL lengths, and you switched to another DSL provider such as Vianet or Tech Savvy would you still only get the same 3 to 3.5Mbps because you are at the limit of DSL for Sympatico?

Maybe NeTDaWg can chime in about Teksavvy?</div></div>

To answer your question..You will most likely get the same speed with vianet, teksavvy etc...
I had both Bell and Teksavvy at the same time. Bell with the Speedstream 5200 Modem and Teksavvy with a 2Wire Modem/Router. Switching between routers and logins Teksavvy was a little faster than Bell for some reason. My average speed test from bell or Teksavvy at the time was 4200Mb/sec on a 5MB profile. Teksavvy bumped me up to a 6MB profile and now I'm averaging about 5100Mb/sec.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/220940086.png

Maryms
01-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Bell Sucks

tired-n-cranky
01-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Bell is mandated (read, forced) by the CRTC to open up their DSL lines to DSL providers.

So Bell in effect provides the link from your house to the provider, but all traffic goes out through your provider. So Bell can not see it, throttle it, or anything else it.

If a person was getting 3 to 3.5Mbps, chances are they are on a 4 Mbps profile, which may be all their line can handle.

Andre
01-12-2008, 12:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So Bell in effect provides the link from your house to the provider, but all traffic goes out through your provider. So Bell can not see it, throttle it, or anything else it.</div></div>

Not throttled in any way shape or form.
Download like a madman.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If a person was getting 3 to 3.5Mbps, chances are they are on a 4 Mbps profile, which may be all their line can handle.</div></div>

This

Hans
01-13-2008, 02:49 PM
They will throttle in the end. It all boils down to how much they end up throttling.

Maryms
01-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Bell is throttling at night time mostly and even around 2:30PM EST, depends on how much ppl are downloading, so if your downloading do it early 6am-12pm.

tired-n-cranky
01-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Negative, Teksavvy will never throttle.

Hans
01-13-2008, 07:36 PM
We will speak again when his network is saturated 24/7 and the complaints start coming in.

tired-n-cranky
01-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Actually he is always monitoring network throughput, and adds on more gig-e connections as needed. He even openly shares graphs of network throughput at the core.

tired-n-cranky
01-14-2008, 09:51 AM
If you want to know about Teksavvy, take a look in this forum at dslreports.com: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavvy

The owner, his Network guy, and a lot of their support people post in there. Ask a question, they answer.

They go go any lengths to satisfy customers, as it appears most providers do BUT Bell. Bell thinks everyone is a bad guy or a child.

Oh yeah, this is from the owner regarding traffic:

We're sitting at 2.2 out of 3Gbps available right now... We have 2 x 1Gbps connections being installed right now so that we can go to 5Gbps.... We're handling it! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

403_forbidden
01-14-2008, 12:47 PM
NeTDaWg: I think you have sold me on Teksavvy DSL....You sure don't get that type of service with Bell...you call Bell service and you ususally get a guy you can't understand from over seas.....I was helping my neighbor with his Sympatico problems and I narrowed it down to a BELL line problem...I called up Bell and got some guy I could hardly understand asking me if the bloody DSL modem was plugged in etc....I mentioned I narrowed it down to a BELL line problem....I was an hour on the phone before they concluded it was a problem on their end (line problem)....I basically wasted an hour with Bell's great service.....VERY VERY VERY bad service indeed.....

What kind of DSL modem do you recommend purchasing with Teksavvy. I know they have ones for sale on their site. Should we purchase those modems, or is there any brand/model that works the best on their network.......

tired-n-cranky
01-14-2008, 02:31 PM
I use the Speedtouch 516v6 modem myself. It can be a firewall/router, or you can put it in bridge mode (normal modem) and use your own router.

That modem is great when used with the DMT application, which shows you all kinds of stats about your DSL line, you can use the app to re-sync your DSL, reboot the modem, etc.

I have also used a 2Wire modem which I bought from Canadacomputers.com , I think Andre has this one, it is also another great modem, also Wireless built into it.

Hans
01-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Doing a simple calculation tells me he has enough bandwith to supply about 450 customers with a 7 Mbit DSL profile 24/7.
So we will see what happens when 2000 customers use P2P applications at the same time and saturate the 3 GBPS he's sitting on.
They don't limit network speed because of P2P, but because they always oversell the available bandwith at a certain factor. It's that factor that determines how "hard" they limit P2P traffic.
I don't know how much customers they have, but I assume it's well beyond 2000...

Andre
01-14-2008, 10:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Speedtouch 516v6 modem myself. It can be a firewall/router, or you can put it in bridge mode (normal modem) and use your own router.

That modem is great when used with the DMT application, which shows you all kinds of stats about your DSL line, you can use the app to re-sync your DSL, reboot the modem, etc.

I have also used a 2Wire modem which I bought from Canadacomputers.com , I think Andre has this one, it is also another great modem, also Wireless built into it. </div></div>

Yes I have the same 2Wire DSL Modem, Router, Hyper-G Wireless Access Point, Firewall from CanadaComputers. That was a great friggin' deal. Thanks!
It works very well for me. From what I was reading on the teksavvy forum, this modem is supposed to work even better than some of the others if you're further away from the DSLAM.
I also tried it with my old bell Speedstream 5200 and it worked pretty good as well.

Chrylon
02-06-2008, 07:43 AM
I have Teksavvy and am enjoying every minute of it. The service is infinitely better than Bell.