PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Options in Goulais

NewCasa
01-14-2008, 10:05 AM
I recently purchased a home in Goulais and I'm wondering what high speed internet options there are in the area? Thinking there's probably no cable, so what about other options?

Anyone know?

Thanks

403_forbidden
01-14-2008, 12:40 PM
If DSL is not an option, your only choices would be satellite or maybe one of the options using a cell tower....if the technology exists on the towers out there.....

NewCasa
01-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Does anyone know names of companies I can call?

axalon2003
01-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Vianet or Bell might have coverage in your area. Vianet can check availability with your telephone number here: http://www.vianet.ca/residential_dsl.php

Shawn
01-16-2008, 12:30 AM
I just was talking to someone tonight out in the 777 area that had dsl, I guess bell may have put a dslam out in the area. If you want to know for sure if its available pm me and I will check the official database with your number.

tired-n-cranky
01-16-2008, 12:34 AM
You don't even need a phone number to have it checked, you can also have the address checked.

Shawn
01-16-2008, 12:37 AM
Ya, but phone number is usually easier and gives better results because then bell already knows if it is able to be terminated at that address...

porsche944
01-18-2008, 11:05 PM
i'm in Harmony area and all we get is dial-up or Satellite that I know of.

J*B
01-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Satellite only and you won't like the price!!
Check out Xplornet.. $600.00 up front and anywhere from $55 to $250 per month depending on what you want to do, if you want to download anything or do online banking then it's at least $150 per month.
Bigtime ripoff if you ask me..

I have dialup thru dialupatcost, unlimited for $9.95 per month.

gouligann
01-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Does anyone know how/where to find out if you live in an area that will be getting broadband soon? (according to the Sault Star, printed on Friday Jan 18th) It was front page news, and I HOPE my area is included.

Maryms
01-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Check out this article about 350 new rural areas to be covered in the Sault region.

http://saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=865374&auth=By%20Michael%20Purvis,%20THE%20SAULT%20STAR

tired-n-cranky
01-22-2008, 10:29 AM
That isn't 350 in the Sault region, that is 350 across Canada.. minor mistake /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

NewCasa
01-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the article guys. At least there's hope!

NewCasa
04-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Anyone got an update on this? I heard that Goulais might actually get highspeed, but no details about when or how. Anyone know?

403_forbidden
04-03-2008, 11:02 PM
You could try one of the cell phone providers and find out if you can get EVDO service. Basically, it's a card that installs in the PC and uses the cell coverage for data and Internet access. It's expensive, but not as expensive as satellite service. I would check with BELL or Telus. I know some people in behind Echo Bay that use EVDO for Internet and VPN into their office service.

Shawn
04-05-2008, 11:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoCasa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone got an update on this? I heard that Goulais might actually get highspeed, but no details about when or how. Anyone know? </div></div>

Its a no go, they got a court order against the CRTC to not have to proceed so far with putting high speed into these area's... Probably be years before any copper based services will show up.

Shawn
04-05-2008, 11:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: There's no Place Like 127.0.0.1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could try one of the cell phone providers and find out if you can get EVDO service. Basically, it's a card that installs in the PC and uses the cell coverage for data and Internet access. It's expensive, but not as expensive as satellite service. I would check with BELL or Telus. I know some people in behind Echo Bay that use EVDO for Internet and VPN into their office service. </div></div>

Its only 1X in those areas, towers are owned by Tbay tel in Goulais if I remember correctly so Telus and Bell are just leasing. 1X might be faster than dial up but it is probably going to cost a fair amount for data over the cell towers.

NewCasa
04-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Well that sucks. So basically it's satallite or nothing?

I don't get your next comments about cell. I've got a Telus phone and don't get any reception out at Goulais.

Shawn
04-07-2008, 03:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoCasa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well that sucks. So basically it's satellite or nothing?

I don't get your next comments about cell. I've got a Telus phone and don't get any reception out at Goulais. </div></div>

Have not tried my cell in Goulais, but I get reception all the way out to Searchmont. One of the towers on the Searchmont highways should be visible from parts of Goulais so there should be some reception there. It will be a while before any high speed options are available out there... its already taken me nearly 2 years just to get gros cap looked at for high speed...