PDA

View Full Version : NTFS to FAT32

xXx
01-15-2008, 01:36 AM
i have an external 300 gb hdd, and it is NTFS, i need it to go to FAT32 so my Playstation 3 can read it. i have tried using various windows xp cds and it doesnt give you the option to format using FAT32 anymore, I also have vista so i cant do it from windows either. any suggestions, any programs??? thanks. oh and partition magic wont work in vista i tried sevral versions, none of them are compatible with vista.

filthy
01-15-2008, 03:24 AM
If you right click My Computer, select "manage" and then choose disk management you should be able to format to FAT, FAT32, NTFS and exFAT (if using Vista). As long as it's not the boot disk I have always been able to use this method to format any hard drive.

hemi_69
01-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Download and install swiss knife. it'll get the job done for you quickly and easily
http://www.compuapps.com/download/Swissknife/swissknife.htm

Maryms
01-15-2008, 08:13 AM
Or click/double click on my computer and where the drives are listed which you see when you do this... right click on the drive you wish to format (scroll to format in the list)and then choose your options Fat32, no volume label (unless you want to label it, but i and many others don't) .. The drive must be unallocated first to do this.

Or go to Disk Management if the drive is unallocated first and you can format it through there as well.

Shawn
01-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Partition Magic 8 is an awesome program to use... Too bad Symantec bought it and destroyed it... If you had vista there is a partition manager built in as well...

GirlNextDoor
01-15-2008, 11:43 PM
any linux live distro will have what you need. you can even keep your remaining data on the drive and use whats free.

xXx
01-16-2008, 10:20 PM
ok i went back to xp, theres no option to format to fat 32, and theres no "manage"

xXx
01-16-2008, 10:45 PM
i have partition magic 8 and theres not option to format to FAT32

xXx
01-16-2008, 10:48 PM
oh and remember is a usb external hard drive

Maryms
01-17-2008, 09:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jack-O-Lantern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok i went back to xp, theres no option to format to fat 32, and theres no "manage"</div></div>

What?

Right Click on the Icon called My Computer.

02-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Changing the filesystem isn't in the format. It is the setting of the partition. You set the partition to either FAT or NTFS or EXT2 or whatever, and formation accordingly.

filthy
02-06-2008, 04:49 AM
Yes but you should format while doing it, for possible data corruption. I have done it with programs and data on that partition remained intact.

Maryms
02-06-2008, 07:48 AM
You need to delete the partition first, then recreate the partition, then format using Fat32.

Strife
02-06-2008, 10:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dusk-Till-Dawn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to delete the partition first, then recreate the partition, then format using Fat32.

</div></div>

not true.....you can just reformat the partition using FAT32. You dont have to delete the partition itself

GirlNextDoor
02-06-2008, 01:53 PM
get a live linux disk. from the terminal type fdisk -l to display your drive. when you see the output you would type fdisk /dev/hdx &lt;&lt;&lt;-(x is the arbitrary letter there). from there just hit "t" , than 6, than "w". reboot and you should be fine

filthy
02-06-2008, 02:11 PM
wrong...losing your touch eh Maxy?

Maryms
02-06-2008, 05:57 PM
In windows XP when you go to manage/disk management there is no OPTION to format to Fat32 when it is already been formated to NTFS.

Therefore PPL = Filthy in order to do so in XP you need to delete the partition, then recreate it, then format it Fat32.

I have not lost anything filthy instead you need to be more knowledgeable to state that to me.

Forget about talking about using a third party program..this is only when dealing within XP itself is what i refered too in my previous post.

GirlNextDoor
02-06-2008, 06:44 PM
forgot to mention in my other post, you have to have root privileges and unmount the drive. screw using microscrap

Maryms
02-06-2008, 06:51 PM
I use a program called Paragon Disk Wiper or Disk Copy or HD partition Management either or will allow for delete/format to whatever you want including Linux Partitions.

Strife
02-06-2008, 08:30 PM
In Windows setup you can reformat the partition to FAT32. That is dealing with Windows itself

Maryms
02-07-2008, 09:06 AM
When talking about the Windows XP CD .. when it boots to the point of formating ... if the HD partition was already NTFS it will not provide you the format Fat32 Option. The Partition must be deleted then recreated first, then the option will be provided to format it Fat32.

This goes for the samething while IN WINDOWS itself in which i stated a few times now in this thread.

Once a HD is NTFS XP does not have a CONVERT OPTION. The HD/Partition must be deleted .. then recreated.. then formated to whatever file format is required.

Killswitch
02-07-2008, 09:49 AM
There's basically two options.

One is to use a program such as Partition Tragic (lol) to backwards convert your data if there's anything on the disk you want to keep. This option is not too reliable and you might lose it all your stuff anyways.

The other option is exactly what Dusky-Do-Da said, delete the partion then recreate and format to Fat32.

http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1820

Maryms
02-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Ok dudes this thread was made Jan 15 2008 and if he/she has not done anything noted in this thread. Then i say unto he/she "get to it" as that PS3 is waiting still.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif