PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Providers

DemonBaby666
01-19-2008, 02:48 PM
So I'm with this company called Wintel Communications. They have a really great plan, 25 cents per long distance call, anywhere in North America. But the thing is that they don't send out regular monthly bills, they only seem to send me a bill when they're gonna cut me off because I haven't paid. So they cut my service off and are being arseholes about 12 bucks, won't reconnect my service till i pay it.
So what I'm wondering is if anyone has a really good provider with good rates, and no bullcrap? I like the Wintel plan, but if anyone has suggestions for a better sompany, I'd like to check it out. (I don't make any international calls, just out of town) /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Huggy85
01-19-2008, 02:52 PM
I hate to tell you this, but they will all expect to be paid for their services. I had a long distance provider bill me for 12 cents once. I wrote them a check for 12 cents that they actually cashed; must have cost them about 10 bucks to cash the check.

Anyway, there is no free long distance, and it sounds like that's what you're looking for.

DemonBaby666
01-19-2008, 02:53 PM
No, not free long distance, there's no such thing. Just wanna know what other people are using.

Huggy85
01-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Distributel....but I pay my bills

01-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Shaw phone, which launches on the 23rd, has unlimited long distance in north america, with 1000 international minutes. All the bells and whistles for $40.

Or Shaw phone lite, where long distance anywhere in north america is only $.04 a minute.

cuteandcuddly
01-19-2008, 05:37 PM
i use 10-10-710 and i get a whole hour for .99 [censored]

curious1
01-19-2008, 05:54 PM
I haven't checked this out but step son uses it.
It is a free download

http://www.skype.com/newtoskype/

From what I understand calls are made through computer and if you "call" someone who also has "SKYPE" there is no charge for the call.
You only pay if the party you call doesn't have it downloaded.

He has had it for some time now and uses it frequently to call from US to Canada.

Could be worth checking into if looking for free long distance calls.

Anyone else heard about this ?

Chaotic Chick
01-19-2008, 06:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-pot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shaw phone, which launches on the 23rd, has unlimited long distance in north america, with 1000 international minutes. All the bells and whistles for $40.

Or Shaw phone lite, where long distance anywhere in north america is only $.04 a minute. </div></div>

I think they told me (but I could be wrong lol) that I will be paying $29.95 for the first 6 months. Not bad, I just got a Bell bill, and it was $110 for one month. I called them and I was not very nice about it, cancelled my service and don't even care that I will have no home phone for a few days before my Shaw service is connected.

Macs II
01-19-2008, 06:41 PM
I have used SKYPE for years and prefer it over a regular phone.
Skype to Skype calls are always FREE,anytime,anywhere, no matter how long you talk and the sound quality is superior to any regular phone. You can also make video calls.

You can also get SKYPE Pro ....for $3.00 a month you can make calls to any land line or cell phone in the U.S and Canada...anytime and talk as much as you want.

Macs II
01-19-2008, 06:43 PM
oh yeah and my last BELL phone bill was $23.95 ..there is no need to pay anymore than that. LOL

curious1
01-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Macs when you get calls from someone using SKYPE do you get a weird number showing up on call display?

One call was a 946-.... number and another time I got 000 0012345

step son also has the video call, but there is no way would I ever hook that up !!!! lol

Macs II
01-19-2008, 07:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: curious1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Macs when you get calls from someone using SKYPE do you get a weird number showing up on call display?

One call was a 946-.... number and another time I got 000 0012345

step son also has the video call, but there is no way would I ever hook that up !!!! lol </div></div>

The number you see is when someone buys SkypeIn subscription they get a SkypeIn ID number and it is sometimes displayed on the Caller ID screens. You can't tell who the caller is from that.

curious1
01-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Okay, explains weird numbers showing up.

Sounds like a good deal, but I need a plan where I can receive long distance calls from phones in US or Canada, Evenings, days or weekends.
A have an anytime plan now, but may look at other plan options that are cheaper and try SKYPE for other calls.

Thanks for your input on SKYPE

Macs II
01-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Skype always had a problem because no phone number or ID number would show up in caller ID's.Instead you see all those weird numbers....nothing to worry about and they will fix it soon I think.

Chaotic Chick
01-19-2008, 07:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh yeah and my last BELL phone bill was $23.95 ..there is no need to pay anymore than that. LOL </div></div>

I have the $24.95 unlimited long distance because all of my family is in BC. My phone bill was supposed to be $40 or something a month. So far, it was $91 for a partial month, and then the $110. Plus the satellite. I am just going to use my cell phone until my Shaw phone is connected and watch DVDs until my cable is connected. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif I have never had a problem with my Shaw internet, and the customer service and technical support representatives are so much better... even a few days after I got Bell installed at this house, I had problems with my phone and spent my two days off work that week calling them. It was horrible.

I can't use Skype, my dad complains that it echoes too much. *rolling my eyes* And I talk to my daddy several times a week so long distance is super important to me. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

Macs II
01-19-2008, 07:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need a plan where I can receive long distance calls from phones in US or Canada, Evenings, days or weekends. </div></div>

You don't need a plan to receive long distance calls...they are all free. You only need a plan to make long distance calls.

curious1
01-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Even from a pay phone in U.S calling to Canada

Macs II
01-19-2008, 07:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: curious1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Even from a pay phone in U.S calling to Canada </div></div>

Nope as long as someone is calling you...and not "collect" lol

curious1
01-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Okay, Thanks I am seriously thinking of going with SKYPE.

Have you purchased any of the products, phone etc,?

Macs II
01-19-2008, 07:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Have you purchased any of the products, phone etc,? </div></div>

No, never have.

Barry Morris
01-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Try out Skype first. I sincerely doubt it's BETTER than a regular phone line. I've heard Internet phone many times over the last couple of years. It's ALMOST as good as Bell, on a good day. Several businesses in town use it already, NOT Shaw or Vianet.

BTW, I've had phone calls literally from the other side of the world, as far away as you can get, and they sounded amazing, like across the street. It's pretty hard to get better than Bell quality when it's working right.

Macs II
01-19-2008, 08:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try out Skype first. I sincerely doubt it's BETTER than a regular phone line. I've heard Internet phone many times over the last couple of years. It's ALMOST as good as Bell, on a good day. Several businesses in town use it already, NOT Shaw or Vianet. </div></div>

For talking Skype to Skype it has always been crystal clear for me ...but you also need a fast connection and a good mike/headset.

curious1
01-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Going to try SKYPE and see how it goes. The reception on the calls I have received by SKYPE Users has been good.

Even for the 3.00 for SkypePro is much better than what we are paying now.

Thanks guys for the information

Macs II
01-19-2008, 08:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: curious1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Going to try SKYPE and see how it goes. The reception on the calls I have received by SKYPE Users has been good.

Even for the 3.00 for SkypePro is much better than what we are paying now.

Thanks guys for the information
</div></div>

The sound quality from Skype to regular phone is about the same as any phone call.....however Skype to Skype calls are far superior in sound quality.

curious1
01-19-2008, 08:39 PM
I can believe that.

Just got a regular long distance call from Brampton and reception wasn't any better than the skype calls from Florida we received during the past week.

Macs II
01-19-2008, 08:42 PM

I can believe that.

Just got a regular long distance call from Brampton and reception wasn't any better than the skype calls from Florida we received during the past week.

</div></div>

if you have the person as your "contact" and talk skype to skype you see the difference....of course then both would have to be on the computer

snowy
01-19-2008, 08:53 PM
I pay 20 bux to vianet and get free in Ont

snowy
01-19-2008, 08:54 PM
an 12.50 for servives

curious1
01-19-2008, 09:03 PM
No problem for me to go skype to skype but getting husband on a computer, Mission Impossible
I'd have to go skypePro.
But at $3.00 a month well worth it I think

Macs II
01-19-2008, 09:04 PM

No problem for me to go skype to skype but getting husband on a comoputer, Mission Impossible
I'd have to go skypePro.
But at $3.00 a month well worth it I think </div></div>

yeah I don't think anyone can beat that price

curious1
01-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for your input and information

Macs II
01-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Here's what you get with Skype Pro (http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/skypepro/)