PDA

View Full Version : FREE Wireless HotSpots in the Sault?

Maryms
01-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Does anyone know of any FREE public wireless Hotspots in the Sault other then the Library?

Lets get a list of FREE Hotspots going here in soonet for readers to see.

Maryms
01-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Public Library SSM FREE WIFI, this is what i know for sure is FREE wifi access in the Sault, anyone else know of any others?

FREE PUBLIC ACCESS:

Public Library Downtown, Bay Street
Churchill Plaza, East End
Korah Branch, Second Line West

GirlNextDoor
01-21-2008, 07:20 PM
not sure if this is supposed to be free, but i do know the hospital has a couple of open wifi connections.

Maryms
01-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Cool and yeah i a not sure if the hospital is a Public Accessed Wifi or it may only be for residents in the hospital.

Anyone know of any other FREE public accessed hotspots in the sault that are for anyone?

01-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Don't you have any Tim Hortons in the Soo that offers a wifi connection?

Maryms
01-23-2008, 09:35 PM
i am not sure if tim hortons does or not.

Can anyone verify this?

H.E. Pennypacker
01-24-2008, 12:24 PM
station mall does (at least i think the food court)

NewCasa
01-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Steamy Bean up on Great Northern Road has connections.

GirlNextDoor
01-25-2008, 12:19 PM
macs on gore st also has am open wifi spot.

Maryms
01-25-2008, 08:24 PM
I picked up several open wireless routers in town, but i am looking for FREE public access ones only and not ones that should not be logged into.

hemi_69
01-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Pretty Sure that the Timmy's on John is, as well as the Macs on the corner of Pine and McNabb

Scabtacular
01-28-2008, 08:38 AM
The Source (Radio Shack) and Joey Calzone's. Funny story....I was at Joey's and reading CNN on my PSP this old couple in front of me but behind me was the waiter, asked...(complained)

AND I KID YOU NOT....WHY THEY WEREN'T PLAYING ITALIEN MUSIC!!!
That it wasn't an authentic restaurant, and the waiter said he would relay that to management! THEN after looking at me, WITH ZERO LAPTOP or computer of anykind a second after that asked....

AND AGAIN I KID YOU NOT.... "Do you have wireless internet here?"
He had to be well into his late 70's early 80's and the waiter said...No we don't!!! I was at the table right behind this waiter and pointed directly at my PSP and quite Vigourously noded my head up and down without saying a word, to the old guy facing me across the booth table. The waiter, after some more interigation from the old man, noticed and brushed it off as..

"Oh, I will be back with your order" and walked away!

I will have to remember next time to ask for free pens at motel I never need to stay at!!! Just to see if the front desk person says "No, but we have Italien music!"

Maryms
01-28-2008, 08:39 AM
hemi_69:

Is macs a public access point where ppl can drive on in and hookup without being fined as Mac stores are not a place to sit down in.

I will call around to find out for sure what is FREE by Macs as if anyone at anytime can pull into the parking lot of any Macs store and hookup that would be awesome as there is plenty around.

The same for Tim Hortons i will ask around to see if ppl can just pull on in anytime of the day or night and hookup as that would be awesome as well.

Maryms
01-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Scabtacular:

Joey Calzone's may not have Free Wifi, but infact you may have picked up a signal from a business around them.

I will look into this more as it would be a good thing if they do have such a service for public access as it may only be for patrons.

I will also ask the source as i am not sure if it is public access or not. It maybe open but only for the employees there.

I do know somewhere in the middle of the mall area there is a strong signal that can be brought up from the outside parking lot even at 1am. I don't know whos signal it is, but it is a strong signal. I assume it maybe within the food court area opened to public access. I will investigate this as well and find out for sure if it is public access or not.

Scabtacular
01-28-2008, 08:52 AM
The best way is to use a PSP with its built in WiFi Scan and go War Driving, but I do it by foot, it even looks like I'm playing a video game while waiting for the city bus.

Here's some funny listings some people nickname there wireless!!
IHateCables
MasterGIG
ICanSeeYouChangeYourClothes (McDonald Hill)
(and my personal fav next door to mrs.B's - Locksmith)
LockitorLoseit
That's a great way of Free Advertisement!!!

If you only knew the amount of people to lazy or unknowlegdgable that not only leave ZERO encryption on, BUT....

ACTUALLY LEAVE THEIR LAST NAME AS THEIR SSID!!! A close second is the name of there wireless router!! Linksys, or D-link as example....

Scabtacular
01-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Your right, that's why the SSID says....

Joey Calzone's

I do appreciate your post, let me know of your findings. Your a rare breed of "Make sure its on the up and up" and I salute you for that! I would love to go door to door, residental and business and hand out flyers with a URL for basic tutorial on WiFi encryption setup. Right off of youtube even!!!

shadowjak
02-06-2008, 09:47 AM
For Unix & windows users

http://www.kismetwireless.net/

http://www.wireshark.org/

http://www.netstumbler.com/

For Mac---

http://kismac.macpirate.ch/

General info--

http://sectools.org/wireless.html

J*B
02-06-2008, 10:07 AM
There's a antenna called a "cantina" that picks up wireless from a lot further away.

shadowjak
02-06-2008, 01:54 PM
It is called the Cantenna.here are some plans to make your own

http://www.seattlewireless.net/CookieCantenna

This was debuted at DEFCON It looks like an Rifle but it is really an aimable 14.6 dBi Yagi antenna that can get you online at up to 10 miles (16.1 km).

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/03/wi-fi_aerial_gun/

Maryms
02-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Awesome info and i will continue to find out who has FREE public wireless access in this town and if anyone has any contributions please post away.

Suzanne027
02-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Steamy Bean and the Lonestar have free WIFI.

Maryms
02-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Can you access it from their outside parking lot(s) or do you need to go inside?

Karl
02-14-2008, 09:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Famous MadMax Returns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you access it from their outside parking lot(s) or do you need to go inside?</div></div>

I wish to know this as well.

newman
02-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Great...I'm driving there right now so I can sit in the parking lot and go on Ebay???????????????????????

Xzavia
02-15-2008, 11:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Famous MadMax Returns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
hemi_69:

Is macs a public access point where ppl can drive on in and hookup without being fined as Mac stores are not a place to sit down in.

</div></div>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Mac's has a coffee bar thing inside no? I remember seeing a few tables and chairs set-up in there last time I was in there. Might explain the free WIFI thing there.

hemi_69
02-16-2008, 12:04 AM
yup theres i think 3 tables with a couple chairs at each one

Karl
02-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Anyone find anymore FREE wireless HotSpots in this town?

I was hoping when reading this thread there would be at least 20-25 locations, but it is apparent "so far" this town sucks for such a purpose.

H.E. Pennypacker
02-21-2008, 03:14 PM
The Steamy Bean Coffee Co. - 357 Great Northern Road - 705-353-9690
Sault Ste Marie Public Library - East St
Quality Inn Bay Front - 705-945-9264
Glenview Cottages - 2611 Great Northern Rd - 705-759-3436