PDA

View Full Version : Clotheslines illegal?

Bullzie
01-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Since when has this been the case? Anyone know if this is the case in the Soo?

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2008/01/21/clothesline-ban.html

Bullzie

Barney Rubble
01-21-2008, 05:15 PM
i think i heard they were dangerous. years ago, i think a tall kid hung himself accidentally.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
01-21-2008, 05:18 PM
I have heard other people say that in new subdivisions they weren't allowed because of esthetics...

Lance
01-21-2008, 05:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Peter Love said clothesline bans were passed at a time when priorities were different, and the time has come for people to "have the right to dry their clothes outside."
</div></div>

LOL,there going to change the law to where people thought it always was in the first place. I never knew clothes lines were illegal and by the looks of things not to many others did as well.

May of been on the bottom of the list of laws to be enforced.

Koss
01-21-2008, 05:25 PM
If clothes lines are illegal then we have become totally disconnected from each other. If people want to stop their neighbours saving on money and some energy by drying their clothes on a line, then they have a problem.

Bullzie
01-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Having grown up in a house that almost always hung clothes up outside to dry, I don't understand what would make the sight so bad that they would go through the trouble of banning them.

bluekrissyspikes
01-21-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm a criminal....

Tutones
01-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Clotheslines are only illegal in certain locations where local bylaws outlaw them. They are not illegal in the Sault, but most areas of Toronto have a municipal bylaw that forbids clotheslines. Mostly because of too many people hanging them out their apartment windowns or in areas where there are strict community codes (like telling you what colours you can or cannot paint your house).

Macs II
01-21-2008, 06:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The 6th Member Of AC/DC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard other people say that in new subdivisions they weren't allowed because of esthetics... </div></div>

That is correct and it has been like that for years.It usually only applies to new subdivisions where it was agreed that no one would have them. Just like in some subdivisions you are not allowed to have boats, trailers or bigger trucks on your driveway or yard.

tasma
01-21-2008, 06:43 PM
It probably makes certain luxury neighbourhoods look too much like 'hoods! I love my "hood" clothesline.

Barney Rubble
01-21-2008, 07:27 PM
i thought it was cuz of cruelity to animals???
you dont remember those posters???

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/PTGPOD/378793.jpg

Andre
01-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Yep, these bylaws are passed only by the uber elite snobs that think "Clothes Lines" add a "Trailer Park" atmosphere to their uppity neighbourhoods.

/Just took down Ma's 50 year old clothes line and put up a new one. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

mokitapupita
01-22-2008, 07:04 AM
uber

binky
01-22-2008, 07:16 AM
yeah there's a couple of these i know about. bianchi est. and that gated one on north st. no clotheslines, stuff in the yard or drive, mullet haircuts or billy ray on the radios.(the last two for effect.)

Maryms
01-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Well ppl have been using clotheslines for years in many communities including this one. I heard about it being illegal here in the Sault about 15 years ago but who the heck cares about it as many still use them still.

It has to be a certain height and you must have steps leading up to the line or podium of some type, basically so no one can run across the yard and get hung up by it.

Chaotic Chick
01-22-2008, 07:48 AM
I grew up in the suburbs, in places where clotheslines were not allowed. Mullets were not against the rules, but I am sure that the rest of the people living there would ostracize the mullet-wearing person. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif Seriously, there were always petitions of some sort going around, trying to get rid of different neighbours. *rolls eyes*

crazymamma
01-22-2008, 10:20 AM
I live in a co-op and were not allowed to have any type of clothesline. I hung something out on my wire clothes rack that I use in the basement the first summer when I was here and got crap for it...dman bylaw...so I'll be glad it will change!!!!!!!!

mandala
01-22-2008, 11:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crazymamma (the Original)</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in a co-op and were not allowed to have any type of clothesline. I hung something out on my wire clothes rack that I use in the basement the first summer when I was here and got crap for it...dman bylaw...so I'll be glad it will change!!!!!!!! </div></div>
thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard.
i would have had stuff hanging out of every window the next day just to be a dink. lol

snowtrax
01-22-2008, 11:46 AM
yup I am with crazymamma on that one I also live in a coop (different from hers)....we are not aloud any type of clothes line.....(they say it looks tacky) yet they complain about the energy bill every month...also not aloud trailers of any type sleds 4 wheelers or a vehicle without plates.... I can understand not turning the place into a car shop but when is it going to be enough already....the only thing I am wondering about is most co ops generally have there own bylaws so they may still keep the know clothesline thing in effect even after the city choses not too..

Simba
01-22-2008, 11:48 AM
I have to agree. I can't believe what I am reading! Dumb.

kuietgrl (got lost)
01-22-2008, 11:56 AM
I love my clothesline. I actually took a pic of my babies clothes hanging out last summer because it was so cute with all the little outfits hanging up /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif How could a little pink dress be tacky?! lol

crazymamma
01-22-2008, 12:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wicked_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yup I am with crazymamma on that one I also live in a coop (different from hers)....we are not aloud any type of clothes line.....(they say it looks tacky) yet they complain about the energy bill every month...also not aloud trailers of any type sleds 4 wheelers or a vehicle without plates.... I can understand not turning the place into a car shop but when is it going to be enough already....the only thing I am wondering about is most co ops generally have there own bylaws so they may still keep the know clothesline thing in effect even after the city choses not too..

</div></div>...hmmm sounds exactly like mine....r u in the west end?

katste11
01-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Sheesh what a ridiculous law..I've used clothes lines for years, even while living in the city.

Macs II
01-22-2008, 01:40 PM
You want clotheslines move into a trailer park.

katste11
01-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Or move into the country..I love my clothes line. The clothes smell great and it cuts down on the cost of electricity in the summer.

crazymamma
01-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Well as soon as I find a house that I want to buy...if there's no clothesline.there will be!~

katste11
01-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Go Crazymamma go! /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/purpbanana.gif

Macs II
01-22-2008, 02:23 PM
I don't wanna look out my window and see someones granny panties hanging out there.....EEEEWWWWW

Jackie B
01-22-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm not a clothes line type person. I could spend 10 seconds throwing them in the dryer, or 10 minutes hanging them on the line. But I guess with four little ones, time is more of a hot commodity to me than electricity. LOL

Koss
01-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I think in this day of age if something as simple as a clothes line can help reduce energy use, it should be encouraged. Not to mention your clothes smell better too without any chemical enhancement. Also, there's the Zen factor in taking the time to hang the clothes on a beautiful summer day.

We are so busy and so in to ourselves these days that small acts like these can really make a difference in the world around us.

crazymamma
01-22-2008, 03:45 PM
I don't hang underware outside...that I draw the line at!!!

dancingqueen
01-22-2008, 04:27 PM
good point Koss. It can be nice and relaxing to hang clothes up on the line. I remember when we where all younger I would volunteer to do this job because I loved the summer weather.

crazymamma
01-22-2008, 04:34 PM
And they smell so nice!!!! Especially Blankets and sheets!!!

Hans
01-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Soon the laws prohibiting someone from having clothes lines will be null and void. It will be against the law for anyone to prohibit someone from putting them up and using them in Ontario.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/296126