PDA

View Full Version : Charity???

bubble gum
01-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Just a question.I usually donate kids clothes and toys to St Vincent or I drop them off at Value Villiage.I was just wondering if there was a place that I could bring it to where it was not sold but went directly to people that need it without anyone having to pay for it.

lmags
01-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Salvation Army would be the best or Women in Crisis.

bubble gum
01-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Do they sell it at The Salvation Army or donate it

bubble gum
01-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks I also forgot about the Women In Crisis

lmags
01-21-2008, 09:26 PM
They sell it but for really cheap.

tasma
01-21-2008, 09:31 PM
I still have a bag of coats for kids women and youths, maybe I can drop it off there at WIC. Is it still on Oakland?

dilligaff
01-21-2008, 09:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tasma5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still have a bag of coats for kids women and youths, maybe I can drop it off there at WIC. Is it still on Oakland? </div></div>

yes

Giggle Squirt
01-21-2008, 09:46 PM
ya, don't drop it off at Value Village... they sell it for outrageous prices... ... the stuff is donated their but they sell it like it was new.. Not worth it.. I go to WIC or Salvation army..

Wrangler35
01-21-2008, 09:47 PM
I always bring all items to Salvation Army..they sell for dirt cheap vs the place on Norther Ave.The Salvation army has helped me in the past in countless ways and continue to help countless thousands here in the Sault..

kuietgrl (got lost)
01-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Would Women in Crisis take baby formula and baby food? I have a bunch here I'm never going to use.

Babzz
01-21-2008, 09:49 PM
I am sure they would be happy to have it

Macs II
01-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Where is the Salvation Army and does it smell there like it does in value village.

tippikitty
01-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Do you normally sniff out these places? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Macs II
01-21-2008, 10:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *~TippiKitty~*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you normally sniff out these places? /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif </div></div>

No but I've been to value village and it smells like an old attic

tippikitty
01-21-2008, 10:00 PM
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Giggle Squirt
01-21-2008, 10:05 PM
no the salvation is on elgin accross from the fabric store... and it does not smell like gross old people in their. And they do sell stuff but for very reasonable prices... last summer i believe they had a stuff a bag of kids cloths for 5$!!! and they get some really nice stuff intheir!!! Worth taking a look.

Macs II
01-21-2008, 10:07 PM
wasn't there a place on gore st. too ....are they still open ?

Barney Rubble
01-21-2008, 10:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Man eater!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ya, don't drop it off at Value Village... they sell it for outrageous prices... ... the stuff is donated their but they sell it like it was new.. Not worth it.. I go to WIC or Salvation army.. </div></div>

ya gotta remembewr.....they still gotta pay rent and they do have alotof square footage plus staff wages so......

RUNNER
01-22-2008, 07:49 AM
The Health Unit at 126 Queen, down from the bus terminal takes childrens clothes for their kids closet that they have. They are not sold and offered to anyone I believe. There are a lot of moms that participate in programs there. I just dropped off some of my kids clothes there not long ago.

Hidden Treasure
01-22-2008, 07:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wasn't there a place on gore st. too ....are they still open ? </div></div>
Its called MJ's I believe and its still opened.They sell stuff pretty cheap. I've also donated quite abit there.

EyelashExtensions
01-22-2008, 07:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RUNNER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Health Unit at 126 Queen, down from the bus terminal takes childrens clothes for their kids closet that they have. They are not sold and offered to anyone I believe. There are a lot of moms that participate in programs there. I just dropped off some of my kids clothes there not long ago. </div></div>

Not ALL but a lot of the people that get these are people that really need it. Young mothers or low income families. I would donate to either the WIC or the The Health Unit.

bubble gum
01-22-2008, 09:01 PM
The health unit. Do they accept toys as well

Sweet Little Sister
01-23-2008, 09:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Health Unit at 126 Queen</div></div>
thats what i was going to say..
they would probably take the formula and baby food too..i gave them a bunch years ago..

heintzman
01-24-2008, 12:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is the Salvation Army and does it smell there like it does in value village. </div></div>

what does it matter if you are donating?? you must be looking, and you are particular if it smells like dog or woman,,, it is called TIDE and JAVEX!! what size are you looking for Macs,,, Small?? must be.

givememore
01-24-2008, 12:33 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: §weet £ittle §ister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Health Unit at 126 Queen</div></div>
thats what i was going to say..
they would probably take the formula and baby food too..i gave them a bunch years ago..

</div></div>
They will take the formula and baby food. They take very few if any toys, but infants clothes are a real godsend to some of these low income moms. I used to bring my sons baby clothes there, and then I had another son. So they go through 2 then go.

Muffin
01-24-2008, 07:37 AM
YOu can always drop things off at the Soup Kitchen on james St. Always free,,,lots of families with babies and they have a chidlren's program, so the toys can be either given to the program or sent home directly with the children. They may even do a pick up if you call. They are always looking for formula, diapers, clothing and toys for the children.

Simba
01-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Last year, I had some stuff to donate for kids. It was pretty much clothes so I called the Fire Station and asked if there were any families in need of clothes etc. They didn't know of any at the time, but they took them anyway for when there are families in need.

Sweet Little Sister
01-24-2008, 09:41 AM
good idea simba.

iluvchristian
01-27-2008, 04:17 PM
The Diabetes Clothsline program has an agreement with Value Village. Clothesline picks up any unwanted household items, and Value Village sells it. The money raised goes towards research and funding. So it's not like the money made by Value Village is just profit for the owners.

sage
01-27-2008, 06:56 PM
I run a clothing depot for women and children, I would LOVE donations for our program. Pm me please and I can give you location and Ph.# of business.

bluekrissyspikes
01-27-2008, 11:51 PM
the health unit has a good comunity closet which is free, the community center/soup kitchen on james st will take any second hand stuff and make sure it goes to the people who need it. i remember when i was doing volunteer work there, i got to give the stuff out to the kids and they'd be so happy to get new shoes and stuff.

bluekrissyspikes
01-27-2008, 11:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Macs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is the Salvation Army and does it smell there like it does in value village. </div></div> /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif it does smell like a basement in there or something

Giggle Squirt
01-28-2008, 01:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IluvUChristiaN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Diabetes Clothsline program has an agreement with Value Village. Clothesline picks up any unwanted household items, and Value Village sells it. The money raised goes towards research and funding. So it's not like the money made by Value Village is just profit for the owners. </div></div>

Actually that is not how it works... The diabetes picks up clothing and stuff and drops it off at value village.. value village weighs it and pays them per pound. I don't konw how much per pound but it is not alot.. What value village sells and everything goes towards value village and their proffits...

EyelashExtensions
01-28-2008, 02:01 AM
I thought Value Village donates their profit to charities. Does anyone know for sure?

skibunnie64
01-28-2008, 05:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lizzardskills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Value Village donates their profit to charities. Does anyone know for sure? </div></div>

only a percentage not all goes to charity