PDA

View Full Version : Fox sighting

mytwocents
01-21-2008, 11:33 PM
I spotted a fox in the Sussex Rd, Brunswick area tonight. I followed it and it was not afraid, walking right beside the vehicle. It was walking in and out of driveways. Is this cause for concern? I thought that I should have called someone.

Barney Rubble
01-21-2008, 11:34 PM
it is more scared of you!!
prob hungry and pilaging garbage cans!!

Ultra54
01-22-2008, 06:08 AM
I saw one on Sunday plus an eagle on the waterfront in the east end.

Andre
01-22-2008, 06:18 AM
Where I grew up(35 years ago) there was a fox that used to be seen all the time at the neighbourhood park. Kids yelling and screaming, having a good time. The fox wasn't afraid of us and we weren't afraid of the fox. <s>Foxes, Fox's, Foxsusess</s> whatever the plural of fox is can be scavengers when they are hungry and will hang out in populous areas when so.
I wouldn't worry.

mytwocents
01-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the information. I guess I am always worried about rabies but I really didn't know whether a fox would be vicious. I wished I had my camera with me because it was so close and was beautiful.

scsint
01-22-2008, 07:22 AM
A few years ago in fall I noticed one hanging around a bait shop north of Thessalon. I pulled a crayfish out of my bait bag and fed it to the fox. It seemed a bit hungry so I gave it a few more. It must've been fed there often as it was pretty friendly (lol - ya don't bite the hand that feeds ya!)

I've also seen the occasional fox when at work in ASI. A good number of fox-tracks in the snow too. One time I brought a side of smoked fish to work and set it out where I knew one came around. After a few minutes I saw that fox with the fish in it's mouth taking off through the rail yard. I never saw that fox there again. Something fishy goin' on ...

J*B
01-22-2008, 07:35 AM
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/Katch5/images-2.jpg

Maryms
01-22-2008, 07:38 AM
I see one to two foxes around my place every year and i just one of them about a week ago coming out of the driveway next to mine.

Never have had a problem yet with it and it has seen me on many occasions and just kept on walking. Whatever you do, don't go near them as they nay have rabies or what have ya.

Super Gram
01-22-2008, 02:23 PM
If you see a fox around.keep your cats and small dogs in the house.

Andre
01-22-2008, 03:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *Super Gram*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you see a fox around.keep your cats and small dogs in the house. </div></div>
Have you ever seen a fox?
They will not go after a cat, or small dog.

dancingqueen
01-22-2008, 04:22 PM
really? I didn't know that. That makes me feel alot better cause even though my dogs are pretty big, one is pretty old

kitca
01-22-2008, 05:55 PM
ive seen several around town over the years. one lives somewhre near the herny, one lives at ft. creek and one in the puc pole trailway off 2nd line. though, it could be the same one or two? ive never really worried about them, the one by the henry is pretty brave, and doesnt scare easily, but the one at ft. creek is very skittish. i think they are beautiful!

Andre
01-23-2008, 06:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dancingqueen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">really? I didn't know that. That makes me feel alot better cause even though my dogs are pretty big, one is pretty old </div></div>
The average Fox around here weights in at about 10 lbs.
My mom's cat is about 16 lbs. and would beat the snot out of one.
Foxes hunt mice and voles. Things like that. They may go after something as large as a sick or near dead rabbit.
That's about it.

Sweet Little Sister
01-23-2008, 09:27 AM
we used to have one that came to our window to be fed every night..he'd sit on the snowbank and wait until we brought something out.. he was beautiful..then we got a dog and never saw him again /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

J*B
01-23-2008, 09:32 AM
There is a fox that shows up most every night here at dusk for leftovers. He's a healthy looking guy with a big bushy tail.
He sits right outside my back door even with the outside light on and eats up, then moseys on!

Babzz
01-23-2008, 09:33 AM
that is cool JB
Take some pics of your little fury friend for us

J*B
01-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Might prove to be difficult as if I opened the door he would flee, I can see him out of the side window, but too sharp of an angle to take a pic. I'll try and place his food in a little different spot where I might be able to get a mug shot!

Sweet Little Sister
01-23-2008, 09:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a fox that shows up most every night here at dusk for leftovers. He's a healthy looking guy with a big bushy tail.
He sits right outside my back door even with the outside light on and eats up, then moseys on! </div></div>
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif maybe he's the one we used to feed.
we took pics of him one time but they didn't turn out very well..took then thru the window..

J*B
01-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Not too likely as there are many around here, but ya never know for sure!

smokey_canada
01-23-2008, 11:57 AM
there is a fox that comes thro the hospital almost everynight between 3-4 amI've worked we usually see him head to the garbage cans bythe doctors building then thro the back side of the plummer I have seen him heading towards the houses.

MagicFingers
01-23-2008, 01:08 PM
There is a little fox that hangs out where my mom works. At first they were really nervous but it seems the fox was unafraid. They have a cat where my mom works which goes outside, apparently the fox and cat likes to play. They are gentle with each other and often the fox waits for the cat they run and play in the snow. It's cute seems harmless enough but really makes you wonder how it became so domesticated.

leafs93
01-23-2008, 04:52 PM
I live in the Sussex area and we actually have two of them. Watched them play on my front lawn snow bank the other night. If I had a decent camera I would take a few pics, both are not shy. They didnt even flinch when the dog was staring out the window at them. Every morning I have fresh tracks all through my yard, lots of moles and mice around....they don't bother anything else and if they keep the rodent population down it doesn't bother me.

They must be eating good, my neighbours keep chickens and rabbits and they haven't lost any to the foxes. They sure are beautiful creatures.

GRUMPY
01-23-2008, 04:56 PM
might be the same ones we see over on Farwell.

Larimar
01-24-2008, 02:40 AM
My dad saw a coyote by the sault college wood area, and I heard one near my house. I will not let my dog out alone now lol.

Larimar
01-24-2008, 02:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leafs93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in the Sussex area and we actually have two of them. Watched them play on my front lawn snow bank the other night. If I had a decent camera I would take a few pics, both are not shy. They didnt even flinch when the dog was staring out the window at them. Every morning I have fresh tracks all through my yard, lots of moles and mice around....they don't bother anything else and if they keep the rodent population down it doesn't bother me.

They must be eating good, my neighbours keep chickens and rabbits and they haven't lost any to the foxes. They sure are beautiful creatures. </div></div>
awh i'm jealous. i'd love an opportunity to photograph animals like a fox!
very cool.

GoldDogs
01-24-2008, 03:03 AM
Foxes are pretty small, but could hurt a smaller pet if they needed too. I'd still be cautious.

Foxes are all over this city, near Bellvue Park, the Hospital, the Locks, the pavillion and in residential areas of the city. I've seen them behind Great northern Road in the Champlain, Elmwood area. Not scared at all. He stepped up right behind me on my way home. Car almost got him... good thing it didn't get hit though cause I would have bawled my eyes out.