PDA

View Full Version : pregnancy question

Sophie's_Mommy
01-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Quick question about meds and pregnancy, can i take Advil or Tylenol or any kind of cough syrup, i have a cold and i dont know if it is safe to take anything for it, if not thats ok, i can put up with it if needed..lol..

Jackie B
01-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Only Tylenol, not Advil. I also took Nyquil with my last pregnancy, and everything was fne. I'm not saying it's safe, or to go ahead and use it, I'm just saying I used it and had no problems because of it.

Sophie's_Mommy
01-22-2008, 03:22 PM
ok, i have heard that u can take Tylenol while pregnant, but im being extra careful maybe too paranoid..lol..but this cold wont go away,but i will put up with it i don't really want to take anything for it in case its not safe ( i should call my doctor and ask him) and i have a wisdom tooth that had a hole on it i just noticed and it hurts every now and then, i need to goto the dentist but i don't know if they will do anything about it if im pregnant, i brush my teeth 2 times a day sometimes 3 but this one wisdom tooth has a hole in it and i want it removed asap but i think i may have to wait until baby is born.

goodasgold
01-22-2008, 03:25 PM
I was able to take Advil until 28 weeks pregnant, then only Tylenol. There are a couple of cough medicines that you can take while pregnant. I can't remember the name at the moment and I don't have the pamphlet any more. You can get a pamphlet from Shopper's Drug Mart and it lists what meds are safe and ones you should avoid.

Jackie B
01-22-2008, 03:26 PM
They will not do any dental work during pregnancy (because of anesthetic) unless it is an emergency, and you can call your doctor, but Tylenol is considered safe during pregnancy. I took it throughout all four of my pregnancies for various ailments and have four healthy kids. I think the stress of being in pain (if it's really bad) is probably more harmful than just taking something. *IMO*

Jackie B
01-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Oh, BTW, let me know if/when you find out what you're having. I have oodles of baby clothes. Some I've already given away, but still have lots.

kitca
01-22-2008, 03:28 PM
the algoma health unit has a wonderufl clinic and hot line you can call and ask questions or take a course. at least they used to. it was called the parent info line, i dont have the number but it is easy enough to look up. they were my 'bible' while i was pregnant and for the first few years.

kuietgrl (got lost)
01-22-2008, 03:47 PM
I went through a nasty cold when I was pregnant. I spoke to telehealth and the pharmacist. Dristan nasal spray (if you can manage that, I couldn't lol) and Cepacol throat lozenges are all I could take. And they said a saline nasal solution would clear it up, too. Unfortunately, I can't inhale through my nose, though /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Sophie's_Mommy
01-22-2008, 03:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackie B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, BTW, let me know if/when you find out what you're having. I have oodles of baby clothes. Some I've already given away, but still have lots. </div></div>

oh thanks Jackie, i will know more on feb 14th when i go for my next ultrasound they should be able to tell me and i ll let u know, its greatly appreciated!!:)

Misschix
01-22-2008, 07:42 PM
I had bad migraines during my pregnancy
Tyelenol is safe

DogsRule
01-22-2008, 09:06 PM
When I was preg, I was coughing so bad one night and the only thing I had was cough syrup with Codine, I was dying and took a small swig. I told my OB and she said it was ok.

The best bet however would be to ask your own personal OB. I think Benalyn is ok too

kuietgrl (got lost)
01-22-2008, 09:18 PM
I know Benalyn is OK breastfeeding...

Giggle Squirt
01-25-2008, 06:28 PM
i took benalyn when i was preo, my obgyn said it was ok, she also told me claritan was ok. She said tylenol was ok to take too!!!! I had super bad allergies when i was prego and i was avoiding taking anything and then she told me not to suffer and basically it was better for the baby if i was not sick type of thing..

bluekrissyspikes
01-26-2008, 08:44 PM
a pharmacist will know what you can and can't take. i had all my wisdom teeth pulled when i was pregnant and had no ill effects from the anesthetics used, although at the time i was about 2 mos preg and didn't know.