PDA

View Full Version : Power Problem

ssmarie
01-25-2008, 12:05 PM
my computer keeps shutting itself off...I have tried an new power bar and I have tried a new electric outlet also...any other suggestions to try

GirlNextDoor
01-25-2008, 12:06 PM
clean out your heatsink and fan on your pc. it sounds like an overheating problem.

ssmarie
01-25-2008, 12:08 PM
how do I do that....

opinionated
01-25-2008, 12:45 PM
How long have you had your computer??

And I presume its a desktop PC (not a laptop) since you didnt mention a battery.

If you do want to clean it out you need to open up the case, and CAREFULLY try to clean as much dust as you can off of everything, especially vents and fans (you can try a few methods - queue tip, vacuum cleaner, compressed air...just BE CAREFUL you don't break any components). The 'heat sink' will be a small square thing with 'fins', usually with a fan on top of it. you need to try and clean those fins out.

ssmarie
01-25-2008, 02:09 PM
ok...ty I have had my computer for about 8 months or so yes, it is a desktop

Babzz
01-25-2008, 03:49 PM
I had a bad virus a few months ago that made my pc restart itself. I do not remember the name of the virus though. good luck

ssmarie
01-25-2008, 04:42 PM
it doesn't restart itself...it just shuts down...

mboy67
01-25-2008, 05:40 PM
how long does it run before shutting down. does it start right back up.

ssmarie
01-28-2008, 02:01 PM
it could be running for hours or a few seconds and no it does not come back on....I actually have to reset the power bar...I have tried different outlets...i brought it to the store where I bought it as it is still under warranty and hooked up my old PC...still having the same problem so i wonder if it is the connection cord I got with the computer

axalon2003
01-28-2008, 03:28 PM
If it's blowing the breaker on your power bar, you might want to start checking for a short somewhere. It may also be an issue with the power bar itself.
Start with disconnecting all the cords from the power bar except the tower and see if it still shuts off. If it does, try another socket on the power bar. Check the cord next. Look for kinks, bulges, and burns. If you don't see anything, check in the tower. Look behind the motherboard to see if any of the connections are touching the case or if something is sitting accross any of the solder joints. Look for anything loose in the tower too that may be shorting out connections on the board.
Hope this helps. Let us know
Pax

ssmarie
01-29-2008, 09:52 AM
thx Pax, I will try all of that tonight

Maryms
01-31-2008, 06:25 PM
It could be a power supply issue in which the power supply is running fine, but when running for a few hours it heats up or it is defective with a bad compacitor.

It could also be a heat issue related to CPU.

It could be a defective motherboard compacitor(s).

It is hard to determine many things over the internet and if your not computer savy i suggest getting someone to look at it for you and try to find the source of the issue.

It is either a power related issue or a heat releated issue or even a newly installed componet issue or even a driver issue or even a defective rom unit.

There is so many things it can be that to 100% diagnose it over the internet is not always going to happen.

I am only guessing from experience that it is a power related issue and possibly it is with the power supply unit or a motherboard issue, but again i can't be 100% certain unless i actually looked at it.

hemi_69
01-31-2008, 08:44 PM
I'd put my money on a power related issue as well, most likely a power supply, but as Duck-Till-Dawn mantioned you can never be 100% without seeing it and actually testing your theories