PDA

View Full Version : Stripping help.. Pics included...

Giggle Squirt
01-25-2008, 02:23 PM
I have an old wooden banister... I want to strip the layers of paint off of it down to original wood.. I don't know what to use on it. Some of th paint is oil, some is laytex and some is possibly laced with lead. Keep in mind i have 2 children and a dog I was considering using a heat gun, but will that work on all the layers or will i have to use it on every single layer?

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg269/maneater2008/100_2255.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg269/maneater2008/100_2248.jpg

Huggy85
01-25-2008, 02:28 PM
You can buy a product at C. Tire, I forget what its called. It's sold where the paint thinner is. You put it on, let it sit, then all the gook pretty much wipes off. A little sanding will be required afterwards. I did an old dining room set down to the original wood and it worked well. Took off at least 3 coats of paint.

I'd wait til summer though, the fumes are not pleasant and you'll want to be able to open windows.

hp2
01-25-2008, 02:29 PM
man eater there is a liquid paint stripper you can by at home depot or canadian tire, soo mill etc.. all you do is poor it on waite a few mins and whip it off.. IT makes it almost like a corn syurp type deal.... after its ready it makes it bubble etc... I do not know what the actual name is but i do know it works

hp2
01-25-2008, 02:30 PM
lol I guess me and huggy are on the same page lmao

kuietgrl (got lost)
01-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Good luck with that...looks like the door frame in my kitchen. There's got to be at least 10 coats of thick paint on it. It looked a lot like that, actually lol Still does. We've tried every single kind of paint stripper you can buy. The gel, liquid, heat, wire sanders...EVERYTHING. And it still looks like crap. And it's a flat surface...yours is going to be really hard /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I feel for you...I hope something works on your paint. I think the paint I have was mixed with cement or something lol

mokitapupita
01-25-2008, 02:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~~~~~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man eater there is a liquid paint stripper you can by at home depot or canadian tire, soo mill etc.. all you do is poor it on waite a few mins and whip it off.. IT makes it almost like a corn syurp type deal.... after its ready it makes it bubble etc... I do not know what the actual name is but i do know it works </div></div>

you could put that on your skin too to destroy any hairs youd like permanently removed /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Andre
I for one am sorely disappointed in the contents of this post. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

washawee
misleading thread title

hp2
01-25-2008, 02:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moochkita</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~~~~~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man eater there is a liquid paint stripper you can by at home depot or canadian tire, soo mill etc.. all you do is poor it on waite a few mins and whip it off.. IT makes it almost like a corn syurp type deal.... after its ready it makes it bubble etc... I do not know what the actual name is but i do know it works </div></div>

you could put that on your skin too to destroy any hairs youd like permanently removed /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

wtf are you insinuating...... DO I know you or do you think you know me? I have no problem with hair thanks

KRP
01-25-2008, 02:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~~~~~</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moochkita</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~~~~~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man eater there is a liquid paint stripper you can by at home depot or canadian tire, soo mill etc.. all you do is poor it on waite a few mins and whip it off.. IT makes it almost like a corn syurp type deal.... after its ready it makes it bubble etc... I do not know what the actual name is but i do know it works </div></div>

you could put that on your skin too to destroy any hairs youd like permanently removed /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

wtf are you insinuating...... DO I know you or do you think you know me? I have no problem with hair thanks </div></div>

Don't worry about his comment, look at the source.... need I say more.

hp2
01-25-2008, 02:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JKnxdk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~~~~~</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moochkita</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~~~~~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man eater there is a liquid paint stripper you can by at home depot or canadian tire, soo mill etc.. all you do is poor it on waite a few mins and whip it off.. IT makes it almost like a corn syurp type deal.... after its ready it makes it bubble etc... I do not know what the actual name is but i do know it works </div></div>

wtf are you insinuating...... DO I know you or do you think you know me? I have no problem with hair thanks </div></div>

Don't worry about his comment, look at the source.... need I say more. </div></div>

lmao thanks.. I just find it hard for people to make these comments without knowing the people or even seeing them for that matter

washawee
01-25-2008, 02:36 PM
i dont think it was directed at you.. i think he was just saying in general

mokitapupita
01-25-2008, 02:36 PM
but lye works better

hp2
01-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks polaris.. just dont know why he quoted me to when huggy pretty much posted the same thing I did.....

hp2
01-25-2008, 02:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moochkita</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but lye works better </div></div>wtf are getting at?

KRP
01-25-2008, 02:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~~~~~</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moochkita</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but lye works better </div></div>wtf are getting at? </div></div>

Don't try to understand him or anything he posts lol

cheeky
01-25-2008, 02:43 PM
When my kids were small I stripped the hardwood floor in my living room...I used this stuff from Lyon's I can't remember exactly what it was called but it smelled like oranges. It took a little more elbow grease than other products, but was safe for the kids and pets, and it didn't smell bad at all.

Peety
01-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Just ignore him hp2..

hp2
01-25-2008, 02:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peety</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just ignore him hp2.. </div></div>

lmao you know me am I hairy??

Peety
01-25-2008, 02:47 PM
No hun,,You have nice hair on your head tho..

KRP
01-25-2008, 02:51 PM
lol he just likes to post random questions and comments to get under people's skin and it often works, which means he keeps doing it for his own enjoyment.

hp2
01-25-2008, 02:53 PM
well Maybe I should try it on my box... I always woundered how I could get rid of all that hair.. NOW I know.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif Maybe under my arms to.... I might just give it a try....

KRP
01-25-2008, 02:55 PM
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

SusyQ
01-25-2008, 02:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~~~~~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well Maybe I should try it on my box... I always woundered how I could get rid of all that hair.. NOW I know.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif Maybe under my arms to.... I might just give it a try.... </div></div>

You'd end up with one heck of a black box /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

hp2
01-25-2008, 02:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~~~~~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well Maybe I should try it on my box... I always woundered how I could get rid of all that hair.. NOW I know.... /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif Maybe under my arms to.... I might just give it a try.... </div></div>

You'd end up with one heck of a black box /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif </div></div>

LMAO.. Black from what?? being scortched?

SusyQ
01-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Melted and scorched /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif Holy man you'd be hurtin!

kuietgrl (got lost)
01-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Yet another thread gone...RIP.

hp2
01-25-2008, 03:07 PM
was not my fault...... Im sorry man eater.. But I was not the one that started it!!!

Giggle Squirt
01-25-2008, 03:57 PM
haha noproblem.. i almost choked on my popcorn with the black and scorched comment!!! LOL.. i actually LOLed out loud LOL.

cybolynx
01-25-2008, 08:18 PM
you could get it sand blasted ...

Giggle Squirt
01-25-2008, 08:40 PM
would sandblasting wreck my hardwood floors?

cybolynx
01-25-2008, 10:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Man eater!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would sandblasting wreck my hardwood floors?
</div></div>

for that you use a sander ... the big ones ...

but for posts sandblasting i cant see being bad for them ... as long as you don't over do it ...

or you can do it the traditional way ... sand it down by hand ...

with sanding it you can shape the wood back to shape if it has warped over the years ...

sometimes its just cheaper to buy a new post ... or post top ..

Giggle Squirt
01-26-2008, 12:24 AM
yes buying a post or a new top is an option, BUT... i am willing to do all the work because i have this bad obsession with old natural wood... I want to get down to the original hardwood and then stain it. I just love wood and i think that painting wood is a sin. LOL..

starterwiz
01-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Those are some nasty ****s!

Genny
01-26-2008, 09:04 AM
I used to strip furniture, I think the name of the product I used was poly strippa, it is thick, similar to a gel, you put it on, let it sit until bubbles form, then scrape away. You might have to apply a couple of times. Hope this helps a little.

Evangeline
01-26-2008, 04:17 PM
what about just using a power sander?
do it once it it warm enough to open windows,wear a mask, and block off your upstairs with a sheet, just tape the edges against the walls so that the dust doesn't get everywhere, block off whatever other rooms you can aswell, then just make sure you vaccum & damp mop everything that gets dusty.

Giggle Squirt
01-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Hmmm.. i guess i can do that for the big parts like the big post and the railing and then just use the chemical stuff on the little post, because i dont' think i can get a sander into all the little parts.....

4caster
01-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Sanding a previously painted surface will not work. The heat from the sanding will melt the paint and gum up the sandpaper. Besides, these old houses used lead based paint and you don't want that turning into a dust by sanding.

Poly stripper works well but it is very stinky. In fact, the fumes can be harmful if you are in an enclosed area (like your livingroom in winter). There is another product called citrus stripper. It works just like the Poly but it smells like oranges and can be found in the paint section of the hardware store. Much nicer to work with.

One tip when working with that stuff is to cover your surface with saran (plactic) wrap. This will keep the agent in contact with the surface instead of evaporating.

Keep in mind that you may have to apply, wrap and scrape several times before getting down to the bare wood. Remove as much paint in this fashion before you start to sand (see above...RE LEAD). Sanding is the final prep before you decide your next finish.

Lots of work but it is a great winter project!

Good Luck!

Paully
01-28-2008, 10:51 AM
I did a set of stairs similar to that a few years ago and by far, the easiest and cleanest method was a heat paint strpper gun and a a few drywal putty knives. Leaves very little to sand!

Giggle Squirt
01-28-2008, 01:11 PM
I got this chemical stripper but it only takes off one layer at a time.... This is going to take me a few months LOL