PDA

View Full Version : Listening to the radio on the comp???

DMP
01-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Once upon a time I was able to listen to my nephews hockey games that were broadcast on myFM 105.7

Since I purchased this computer last October, I have not been able to listen to one single game. Its not the station, because my sister has my old comp and she gets the games just fine.

Does anyone know what I'm suppose to change if anything? This comp. has Vista, the old one had XP.
If there are any vista users out there, could you plz do me a favor and try the following link and let me know if you can hear the music.

http://www.myfmradio.ca/1057/

Just click the circle on the top right corner, then click the play arrow. Thanks for any assistance.

cybolynx
01-25-2008, 03:55 PM
works fine on my vista OS ...

you might need some codecs ...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/...c-Package.shtml (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-Codecs/Advanced-Vista-Codec-Package.shtml)

mokitapupita
01-25-2008, 04:09 PM
is it powa 97?

DMP
01-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Do you mean the station? The station is 105.7 myFM out of strathroy.
I'm d/l the codec package now, its huge, might not be done by gametime tonite

Maryms
01-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Are you on dial-up?

If so that is why you are stating it is huge... lol

Do you know of anyone who has highspeed internet?

DMP
01-25-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm on shaw highspeed, I can get a song in 5-30 secs. This file is 12.8MB

Maryms
01-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah and i can get it less then a minute on highspeed. Its only 12.8mb not GB.

DMP
01-25-2008, 04:59 PM
I didn't say GB, I said MB. So why the heck is mine taking its sweet old time?? Any ideas?

mokitapupita
01-25-2008, 05:01 PM
i got shaw lite speed and have no problem listening to live streaming radio

DMP
01-25-2008, 05:02 PM
I never had an issue with it before, not until I bought this new system and it came with vista.

Maryms
01-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Is it Vista Basic by any chance as if it is then it would not have the media codecs and other media features that are in the higher up versions and therefore you will need to obtain such things manually.

Now no one is stating you have to use the provided link that Cybolynx posted to get such codecs. Try search google forthe codecs and find a faster download server that maybe better suited for your connection as it maybe possible the server hopes to that servers files is slow from your house/location or if not then your internet is Fubar right now possibly a ISP issue.

Just keep trying to get them and see if it fixes your issue.

DMP
01-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Something wasn't right with that first d/l, so I cancelled it, then googled codec and found another one. It took less than two mins. to install, however I still can't listen to that station. Any other suggestions. I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium if that helps???

Maryms
01-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Is it even buffering for you, the station?

Also make sure that no firewall including Vista's is blocking that particular website from doing anything.

DMP
01-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Firewall is off, not even buffering.

Maryms
Also the built in popup blocker or googles or heck any that you have make sure they are not blocking that site.

DMP
Game on in less than 40 mins, this is so frustrating!!!

Maryms
01-25-2008, 06:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Firewall is off, not even buffering. </div></div>

Then it appears something is blocking it to do so or you have one crappy internet connection.. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I doubt the latter part.

Maryms
01-25-2008, 06:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Game on in less than 40 mins, this is so frustrating!!!</div></div>

Do you or did you get any popup from that site or even a Yellow Bar across the top of the site below the address bar?

DMP
01-25-2008, 07:06 PM
I did get the pop up, clicked the play button, waited a bit, no buffering like it used to, just says ready. But no sound...

DMP
01-25-2008, 07:09 PM
For tonight I'll go to my sisters and listen to the game. Tomorrow I'll work on it some more. Hopefully it will work soon.
Thanks for the help, I'll be checking back later for any suggestions to fix this.

Maryms
01-25-2008, 07:20 PM
No sound, no buffering, nothing blocking it ... i am at a lost as to what it could be.

If i had it in front of me i could most likely figure it out or even a few others in here as well can do the same.

binky
01-25-2008, 08:39 PM
works fine for me cable and vista premium, its an active x extention from microsoft so if your not getting a yellow info bar and warning then your security level is either too high or you need to customise it to 'ask before downloading active x'

DMP
01-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Ok, there was not a yellow warning bar, just the pop up to activate the radio, which still doesn't want to work. As for ActiveX, that could very well be the issue. A few certain emails will not open properly because of ActiveX control, however, I don't know how to change the settings. Good lord I feel so useless sometimes lol

binky
01-26-2008, 03:59 PM
active x settings are in tools/internet options/security tab and the active x is set in custom level but if the security slider is at medium or medium high you should have been good to go .

axalon2003
01-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Download speed also relies on the speed of the source you are getting the file from. If they are really busy, or are limiting speed to conserve bandwidth, then your download would take longer.