PDA

View Full Version : What is your Best of the Best?

scsint
01-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Hey guys ...
What would you consider to be "the best" for readily available components in each category. I see Intel has a Duo Core 2 Quad processor, and AMD has their Phenom processor ... question is do they compare reasonably well, what are the pros and cons of each? How about video. ATI vs NVidia? LCD panels? Hard drives? NAS? UPS's?

I'd like to build a system or order a system already built that has say 3 LCD wide screens (the extras could be run by a USB video card if needed), a few GB of memory, a TB or so of drive space. I'm looking for input before I go and start piecing this thing together. Everything I've mentioned so far are only suggestions for starting points. The sizes and capacities can be varied.

Here's where I'm currently at ... running a P4 HyperThreading 3.0GHz laptop with 1GB PC3200 RAM, 17" LCD 1440x900, ATI Radeon Mobile 128M RAM, 100G 7200RPM hard drive, single layer DVD burner ... I want to upgrade so to speak or stay the same if possible, but in a home PC setup.

I do "some" gaming but mostly it would be for CAD, viewing DVDs, writing custom applications in Visual Studio, maybe run a version of Linux too.

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

shadowjak
01-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Do you want the best in consumer/gamer hardware or workstation/ enterprise

mboy67
01-27-2008, 06:48 PM
what's your budget for this.

scsint
01-27-2008, 06:49 PM
ShadowJak - Good Question. I don't have a definitive answer. I know it needs to perform well for doing mostly 2D CAD, with little 3D CAD. Processor power is probably most important. I would like to watch DVDs. As far as games go, I haven't had much time for game play but who knows hahaha, that could change ;-)

I can certainly start with some sort of base system and work my way up with extras over a short time frame.

Mboy - I'm thinking about $1500 to $2000 give or take. At least for the initial bulk of the system.

Maryms
01-27-2008, 07:00 PM
For that kind of money you can build a Quad-Core Yorkfield QX9450 (when they arrive next month i do believe) setup with a ATI X3780 video card, 4GB of DDR2 memory G.SKill or other brand name, Nice mobo Asus Maximus Formula X38 Chipset Good For Overclocking if desired to do so, Nice PSU Thermaltake 650w-750w ToughPower, a Terabyte HD or Heck get Two of them one For Backing up the first one, LG DVD-rom unit and LG DVD-Burner nice for a 1:1 straight burn, also a nice Keyboard and Mouse is good to have for gaming if desired to o so.

A nice Case to boot as well is the Antec 900 series case, Awesome Air Cooling in that case.

As for LCD monitors, well it is debatable on how much you want to spend on one and if you want three of them, well then your looking at least 900-1200 for all three (combined Price plus tax and shipping) for a decent monitor. I would not go less then 24 inch monitors, but that is me.

scsint
01-27-2008, 07:09 PM
DTD - sounds great. I will have some sort of network storage as well. I currently use NASLite to run my network server but it is not secure and I would like to change it to something that is secure.

As far as the LCDs go, I may just start with the one and add them as needed down the road. 24" sounds good.

The system will be in a "shop" environment. Used for pretty much anything including entertainment for when I'm "in the doghouse" hahaha!

mboy67
01-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Better get a good solid case maybe one on wheels lol

scsint
01-27-2008, 08:07 PM
lol for sure. Well I do have an empty ATX rack mount case and 2 cabinets I could put to use. One is full height of about 6' tall, the other is about 3' tall with casters. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif