J*B
01-28-2008, 04:11 PM
No surprise..

Super Gram
01-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Yeh they will probably change it to Chapleau

Giggle Squirt
01-28-2008, 05:14 PM
I don't understand why they are taking so long to bring this to trial.. it is 4 months shy of 2 years.. If she is sentenced they better not include this time as part of her sentence.. she should rot in her own waste.. i have no compassion for people who decide to drink and drive.

01-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Alll just ploys by the defense to stall the inevitable. After the press that the incident has had, I wouldn't think that she could get an "unbiased" jury anywhere in the province.

MaO3
01-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all. In fact I'm beginning to think it might be the right thing. At least they won't be able to use that as grounds for an appeal.

Maryms
01-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Well i am not sure why the heck his has taken this long to bring this case to trial. It appears certain criminals can sit in wait for a longtime before being sentenced or tried. These types of crimes should be tried fast within 6 months of the crime.

Giggle Squirt
01-28-2008, 08:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dusk-Till-Dawn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well i am not sure why the heck his has taken this long to bring this case to trial. It appears certain criminals can sit in wait for a longtime before being sentenced or tried. These types of crimes should be tried fast within 6 months of the crime.

</div></div>

Not only for the sake of getting it over and done with, but for the sake of the family as well. two years is two years to long to wait for something of this magnatude to come to trial.

Macs II
01-28-2008, 08:36 PM
what does she need a jury for ...just hang her and get it over with.

sniderscott2
01-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Excuse me, while i get drunk and run that [censored] over.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
01-28-2008, 08:38 PM
I see she is staying with future in-laws. My first thought was that if the jury got it right she may never have the chance to have in-laws...

Giggle Squirt
01-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Maybe she should get hit by a drunk driver for punishment the whole do unto others as you would have done onto you.

axalon2003
01-28-2008, 09:24 PM
What agravates me is that by the time they even start the trial, it's likely going to be 2 years. It will probably be another 2 years before she sees any jail time, if she sees any, once the trial and appeals are all done.
She'll get a stern lecture and some forced soul searching through the tribal justice system, a slap on the wrist from the legal system, and Const. Doucet will still be dead, his family still deprived of someone they truly lived, and the community and the community left without a valued member.
I weep for our society if this is the type of treatment we heap upon real heros. Her trial should have begun long ago. If we can get a young offender, a thief or a mugger into a trial situation in under 6 months, then we have no excuse for not having a murderer of a local hero in that time as well.

SusyQ
01-28-2008, 10:01 PM
What more evidence do people need he's dead by the vehicle that him with the drunk B$TCH BEHIND THE WHEEL. Jesus!

J*B
01-28-2008, 10:06 PM
I don't think some of these comments are quite appropriate guyz, she hasn't even gone to trial yet..

Super Gram
01-28-2008, 10:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Man eater!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't understand why they are taking so long to bring this to trial.. it is 4 months shy of 2 years.. If she is sentenced they better not include this time as part of her sentence.. she should rot in her own waste.. i have no compassion for people who decide to drink and drive. </div></div>

She is not in jail.........she is out on bail and staying at a relatives. She asked if she could stay at her fiancees. But the judge said no.If there is a change in venue she will probably not be found guilty. It all depends on her lawyer and the prosecution.

Super Gram
01-28-2008, 10:48 PM
You can read about it on sootoday BUT HERE are some of the reasons. We people in the Sault are really biabed.

Gladys Pardu refused a change of venue but Larry Whalen agrred....he will probably be the trial judge.

[1] The accused is charged with impaired driving causing bodily harm and death, dangerous driving causing bodily harm and death, and impaired driving. Her trial has commenced with the hearing of pre-trial motions, including
this one, and with a jury to be selected in Sault Ste. Marie on February 4, 2008. She has applied for a change of venue because she fears she cannot have a fair trial before a Sault Ste. Marie jury.

[15] There is no question but that the current case has maintained a very high profile in the community. Because it involved the death of a police officer who was a passenger in the police care that came into collision with the accused's vehicle, and because Constable Doucet was the first member of the local police service to lose his life in the line of duty, the reporting has been very full and dramatic. It has been all the more emotionally charged by its happening to a young officer with a wife and children on Mother's Day. The allegation of consumption of alcohol by the accused has also fed into the current public interest in tightening up on alcohol-related driving offences.

[16] There is no doubt that the allegations have been reported broadly in Sault Ste. Marie's print and internet media. Evidence was not presented about reporting in the broadcast media, although I am certain the matter has been covered there with equal intensity, at least locally. Each step in the process has triggered a review of the case's history to date. There has been an outpouring of sympathy for the family, augmented and protracted by a large ceremonial funeral. The outpouring of emotion has focused intense local attention on the unfortunate officer, his family and the community.

[17] While most of the reporting has been factual and fair, there have been several instances of careless reporting by one of the local internet media, which specified that the officer had died at the hands of a "drunk driver". There have also been internet blogs with highly biased comments linking the alleged offence to the accused's native background, and stereotyping her and the entire native community as chronic abusers of alcohol. Some individuals have expressed intemperate and inflammatory opinions about the accused's guilt, and have recommended that she be dealt with very harshly.

The accused's concern is that this provincial authority's bare conclusion will be accepted by the public, and the natural deduction will follow that if the officer driving the police car did not cause the collision, then the accused must have. The theory of the defence is that the officer ran a red light, which was the real cause of the accident. However, the defence wants that issue tried by a jury, not by the press, where the accused believes the weight of opinion is presently stacked against her.

[20] The accused is also concerned that there is significant racial prejudice in the District of Algoma against members of the aboriginal community. She believes it is particularly serious in Sault Ste. Marie and other cities where First Nation Reserves border the municipality. She believes that this bias includes a stereotype of Native Canadians as chronic alcoholics and a close part of alcohol-related crime, including driving offences. Because of the nature of her charges, she fears she will have no chance before a local jury imbued with that stereotype.]

Macs II
01-28-2008, 11:11 PM
she hit a police car , she was drunk ...hang her ..case closed.

Kristina Bourdage
01-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Be prepared people... my cousin was hit by a drunk driver while walking back to his campsite 1 1/2 yrs ago. The kid was finaly tried in Sept. They concluded that although the 19 yr old was drunk and high, my 20 yr old cousin caused this for himself by NOT walking in the ditch, but the justice system!!

axalon2003
01-29-2008, 01:40 AM
I saw the wreckage of the cars very shortly after the accident..It wasn't pretty to say the very least.
I saw the wreckage of the family....First hand. My family.
I just had a friend get pulled over for DUI 3 months ago..Her case went to court within 90 days. Trial and sentencing are complete.
A police officer was killed by a drunk driver, and here we are 18 months later and are barely out of the gate as far as her court case goes.
I think that the people in our community are rightfully upset at the complete lack of progress. It is hard to feel closure when it doesn't seem like anyone is being held accountable for this senseless death.

Krysta
01-29-2008, 01:52 AM
look at our case, it just finished trial a few weeks ago and it was 2 years after Our family member was killed by a drunk driver.

We are still waiting for the sentencing of it though.
One good thing is that she is out of jail during this time so that she cant ask for time served for dead time.
My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends through this, the trail is going to be tough especially to have to go through all those memories over and over again.

scs446
01-29-2008, 07:22 AM
It's just selfishness that she can't own up to what she did and serve the time. She's looking for an easy way out and serve as little time as possible. Why even try fighting it when you know you where in the wrong, just plead guilty and lets all move on!
Should have been over within a few months of the accident if she had any kind of morals

jeffster
01-29-2008, 07:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Axalon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw the wreckage of the cars very shortly after the accident..It wasn't pretty to say the very least.
I just had a friend get pulled over for DUI 3 months ago..Her case went to court within 90 days. Trial and sentencing are complete.
A police officer was killed by a drunk driver, and here we are 18 months later and are barely out of the gate as far as her court case goes.
I think that the people in our community are rightfully upset at the complete lack of progress. It is hard to feel closure when it doesn't seem like anyone is being held accountable for this senseless death.

</div></div>

very well said

someguy
01-29-2008, 08:19 AM
As you can see by reading this thread, Judge Whalen made the right decision. I am not defending her or what she did as it is totally wrong.

However, in this country you are innocent until proven guilty. If the jury was picked here, you can see by this thread how biased people here are. A juror must go into a case without any prejudice or pre judgment of the defendant.

MaO3
01-29-2008, 08:23 AM
The other thing that people need to remember is that "when she's found guilty" and I believe that she will be based on information etc... if the judge had declined her petition to have a change of venue -- she would have a legitamate reason to appeal.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
01-29-2008, 08:32 AM
The reason so many people here are BIASED is not because of people's personal perspective it is based simply on the facts!!

Simba
01-29-2008, 08:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Axalon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw the wreckage of the cars very shortly after the accident..It wasn't pretty to say the very least.

</div></div>

very well said </div></div>

/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/high5.gif Yes very well said!

The Chronic Liar
01-29-2008, 08:46 AM
I havent been following the coverage lately...does anyone know what her defense is at all. i know its not at trial yet but there must be some idea.

MaO3
01-29-2008, 08:50 AM
I believe that there has been a publication ban RB so next to no information has been printed.

tired-n-cranky
01-29-2008, 08:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: It's Just Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If the jury was picked here, you can see by this thread how biased people here are.</div></div>

And you think it is just there????

01-29-2008, 09:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: It's Just Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the jury was picked here, you can see by this thread how biased people here are. A juror must go into a case without any prejudice or pre judgment of the defendant. </div></div>Agreed. I'm not defending her at all. Personally, I could think of some pretty evil things that should be done to her. I was one of the persons that worked at the funeral doing the sound, and I saw first hand the grieving that people were going through because of this. I was drawn to tears myself particularly when his daughter spoke at the funeral.

Do this by the book, so she has no hope even through the appeal process.

And even though it is moved to a different venue, I'm sure the incident was published enough there as well.

J*B
01-29-2008, 09:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ☻RB☻</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I havent been following the coverage lately...does anyone know what her defense is at all. I know its not at trial yet but there must be some idea. </div></div>

The contention is that the police car ran a red light.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
01-29-2008, 09:08 AM
It makes you wonder who provided for or on what basis such a defense was made though. I really hope they didn't get it from any kind of testimony from her...

Barney Rubble
01-29-2008, 09:12 AM
was not the police car involved, one of those dark stealth cars or a regular cruiser????

GRUMPY
01-29-2008, 09:13 AM
it's all rumors right now as there hasn't been any witnesses called yet,this is all still pretrial stuff.

01-29-2008, 09:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney Rubble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was not the police car involved, one of those dark stealth cars or a regular cruiser???? </div></div>It was the stealth car.

Barney Rubble
01-29-2008, 09:20 AM
i remember driving one night and that stealth car zipped past me and scared the ---- oot of me. never saw it coming.
again, working at northern breweries, i saw it flash by the store at crazy speeds.
although, i sympathize with the outcome Doucette as I knew him personally through hockey and the PL and that she was blatantly impaired, it doesn't surprise me if "THAT" cruiser was speeding and went through a red.
nevertheless, she still was impaired.

just my thoughts & , no matter the outcome, a sad tragedy.
i dont see it as a cop dying but rather a person and anybody dying this way is sad.

GRUMPY
01-29-2008, 09:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney Rubble</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> that she was blatantly impaired, it doesn't surprise me if "THAT" cruiser was speeding and went through a red.
nevertheless, she still was impaired.</div></div>

Very true no matter what the cop did she was still drunk. As for the way the cops drive in this town, just stay out of their way when they are making a coffee run to Timmies or you'll get run over!!!