PDA

View Full Version : Does this Have to be done in the middle of winter?

GRUMPY
01-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Power interruption notice

There will be an electrical power interruption on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 starting at 2 a.m.

Power will be off for approximately five hours.

Areas affected

Customers within the areas of Huron Street to West Street, Cathcart Street to Canal Drive including Albert Street and Queen Street, west of Huron Street.

The outage is necessary in order to facilitate an upgrade to the electrical equipment servicing your area.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

Contact PUC Services Inc. 759-6535 should you require further information.

kuietgrl (got lost)
01-28-2008, 07:08 PM
5 hours in the winter is a long time /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

italiandomino
01-28-2008, 07:08 PM
i dont' live there .. so doesn't bother me none

lynys
01-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Would bother me if I had no heat for five hours.

italiandomino
01-28-2008, 07:11 PM
put some clothes on

MagicFingers
01-28-2008, 07:16 PM
keep your windows and doors closed....all should be fine. We went without heat for two days when the furnace went down just last week when we had those really cold days. We were fine. Bundled up put an extra blanket on the bed and we were fine.

orchid
01-28-2008, 07:26 PM
that sucks, i live in that area...

Giggle Squirt
01-28-2008, 07:45 PM
ya it is fine for "normal" people. But i feel for the people who have medical problems and circulation problems /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

GRUMPY
01-28-2008, 07:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MagicFingers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">keep your windows and doors closed....all should be fine. We went without heat for two days when the furnace went down just last week when we had those really cold days. We were fine. Bundled up put an extra blanket on the bed and we were fine. </div></div>

True but theres a difference between when something breaks and a scheduled down time.

italiandomino
01-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Yes .. you know in advance when you will have no heat and make other arrangements.

GRUMPY
01-28-2008, 08:00 PM
such as???

italiandomino
01-28-2008, 08:01 PM
sleep at a friends or family member, dig out an extra blanket .. invite another girl to sleep over so you have more warmth in the bed ... lots of options

CyLixx
01-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Well looks like bundled up blankets and going to bed early that night...

Hopfully sleep through the whole thing...

ALthough its possible my part may not be affected but I live close enough it just might

Tutones
01-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Old drafty houses don't hold heat very well and even people without electric heat won't be able to run their furnaces with the power off. Not very good planning IMO.

GRUMPY
01-28-2008, 08:17 PM
I can understand if it HAS to be done right now but if it doesn't whats a couple of months?

CyLixx
01-28-2008, 08:18 PM
sure isnt I dont think any of this should be done unless its broken in the winter...

This kind of stuff should be done in the summer/spring/fall when it wont be FREEZING..

MagicFingers
01-28-2008, 08:58 PM
And people in the summer will complain they don't have power to run their air conditioners and that eveything in the fridge and freezer is spoiling. Doesn't matter what they do it will never be the perfect time. Those who have medical issues can go to the hospital atleast they know in advance that they can prepare for it. If they are on oxygen machines there are batteries on most if not all have them fully charged. It will be 5 hours, people will be just fine. Heat your house well before the power goes out. You are most likely in bed at 2 am and by 7am when you get out of bed the power will be on.

Giggle Squirt
01-28-2008, 09:15 PM
So very true!!! 5 hours of no power... Oh know people heading back to the soneage.. Personally i can handle the 5 hours of maitnamce if it prevents another black out.

axalon2003
01-28-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm just going to turn up the heat a bit higher than normal, and go to bed. As long as things go to schedule (*cough*cough*no murphy's law*cough*cough*) I will still be toasty warm when I wake up. The forcast is pretty reasonable for Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

I do wish they would wait 'til spring to do this though though.
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

rmkryan
01-28-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't know about that... especially with electric heat.

Lollypop
01-28-2008, 09:48 PM
I woke up this morning to a cold house. The pilot light went out sometime during the night and the gas company didn't get here till close to supper time.
I had been up for a couple of hours before I noticed the chill.
I hope that all goes as planned and there are no ill effects from the outage.

Super Gram
01-28-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't think the PUC is doing this for the fun of it. There seems to be a need for more power in that area. They are saying 5 hours but I bet it will only be for a little while. Bundle up warm in bed and you will sleep through it all.

curious1
01-28-2008, 10:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MagicFingers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And people in the summer will complain they don't have power to run their air conditioners and that everything in the fridge and freezer is spoiling. Doesn't matter what they do it will never be the perfect time. Those who have medical issues can go to the hospital at least they know in advance that they can prepare for it. If they are on oxygen machines there are batteries on most if not all have them fully charged. It will be 5 hours, people will be just fine. Heat your house well before the power goes out. You are most likely in bed at 2 am and by 7am when you get out of bed the power will be on. </div></div>

Right, never a "Perfect Time", but 2.m. till 7:00 quite often is the coldest hours of the night/day. If if must be done at this time of year, why not during the day, and people can go to a friend or relatives house. To me this makes more sense.
J M O.

Sorry I don't understand your statement
Those who have medical issues can go to the hospital. Why to sit there and what, wait in the waiting room for the power to come back on at home. Yes people can prepare for the outage, but it is definitely not as easy for some people as others.

Giggle Squirt
01-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Just take it as an excuse to cuddle up extra close to the special some one in your life..

sniderscott2
01-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Its more than likely emergency work, they just dont want to admit it, when life hands you a lemon, eat it.

SusyQ
01-28-2008, 11:17 PM
People would complain if it was in the morning because of getting ready for work or school. In the afternoon because dinner has too be prepared and early evening while getting little ones too bed etc so why not while everyone is sleeping. Grab a few extra blankets have sex whatever but it will not bother you while YOU ARE SLEEPING.

curious1
01-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Been there! Done that!

Macs II
01-28-2008, 11:18 PM
If it's something that has to be done ... I think the timing they picked is just about perfect.

Krysta
01-29-2008, 12:25 AM
5 hours at 2am is a lot for my house.
Thats if its only 5 hours we all know issues can happen and it be longer.
During the day when the sun is up isn't too bad however at 2 am with no heat on my floors my pipes would freeze.
Who's gonna have to pay to fix that?

Also during the summer isn't so bad because no power to you fridge for 5 hours won't spoil your food unless you have the door left open.

I just think they should do it mid day if it needs to be done.
Not the coldest time of the day.

My house is drafty and those who have infants that is a lot for them to cope with especially with no way to heat bottles.

Simba
01-29-2008, 12:35 AM
At least they gave 2 days notice, but Wednesday is supposed to turn cold with stormy weather so I would think that five hours is a long time.

curious1
01-29-2008, 01:01 AM
Especialy for some people Simba, elderly, sick, infants

Simba
01-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Agreed.

kuietgrl (got lost)
01-29-2008, 08:48 AM
I'm glad I don't live in that area. I'd have to go somewhere else for the night. My daughter won't sleep with us, she fusses all the time if she does...and she has a little "bag" she sleeps in because she kicks blankets off. So she would absolutely freeze! Not to mention, I have an old, drafty house and it doesn't take long for it to be freezing cold in here.

So yeah...I'm just glad I don't live in that area.

Sweet Little Sister
01-29-2008, 10:18 AM
i'd take 5hrs while i'm sleeping over the 'all day Saturday' option we get out here..

MaO3
01-29-2008, 10:28 AM
I was thinking the same thing, we get 9:00 am - 3:00 pm on a weekday or Saturday.
I'd much rather have a nighttime outage than all day!

kuietgrl (got lost)
01-29-2008, 10:41 AM
At least during the day you could go somewhere...the mall or something.

crazymamma
01-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Well I hope the ones who are affected...keep warm somehow...suppose to be nasty tonight ....

tippikitty
01-29-2008, 12:33 PM
I'd hate to see how you people would react to a black out like the one before.

It's only a couple of hours in the middle of the night. It probably has happened before and you didn't even know because you were sleeping.

You should be thankful you even have power and a roof over your head, not everyone does.

Krysta
01-29-2008, 01:35 PM
yes but try having a infant who eats every 4 hours and not being able to feed her because of no power to heat bottles.
Atleast if it where during the day you can go to the mall and ask on of the food court places to heat it for you.
My brother lives near there I hope he wont be effected because they do have a infant.
My point is they choose a bad time for it to happen I honestly think during the day would be better because people can go out if needed.
I just hope it doesn't effect me because if its cold and no heat will make my pipes freeze.

does anyone know with power going out there if it will effect shaw cable in anyway in the west end?
I know those without power wont have it but I am asking if any main nodes for shaw cable that function any surounding areas are there and require power?
I kind of need mine during this time.

newman
01-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Poster: Grumpy
Subject: Re: Does this Have to be done in the middle of winter?

I think the simple answer is yes!

Xzavia
01-29-2008, 01:49 PM
What happens with the sewer systems when there's no power?

Only reason I ask is that when the power goes off in the Boonies our first priority is the sump pump!!! Who wants a flooded basement right? And if it does by chance turn mild, and all that snow starts melting....and running...yikes!!!

If you are worried about your heat for the five hours when you'd be sleeping, have a slumber party type thing in one room of the house, close all the doors and leave them closed as much as possible. Everyone in one room together will be a heckuva lot warmer than everyone spread out all over the house.

Warming a bottle or two....make up a big thermos of hot water, then when you need a warm bottle just pop it into a cup of hot water for a few minutes.

MagicFingers
01-29-2008, 05:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: curious1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MagicFingers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And people in the summer will complain they don't have power to run their air conditioners and that everything in the fridge and freezer is spoiling. Doesn't matter what they do it will never be the perfect time. Those who have medical issues can go to the hospital at least they know in advance that they can prepare for it. If they are on oxygen machines there are batteries on most if not all have them fully charged. It will be 5 hours, people will be just fine. Heat your house well before the power goes out. You are most likely in bed at 2 am and by 7am when you get out of bed the power will be on. </div></div>

Right, never a "Perfect Time", but 2.m. till 7:00 quite often is the coldest hours of the night/day. If if must be done at this time of year, why not during the day, and people can go to a friend or relatives house. To me this makes more sense.
J M O.

Sorry I don't understand your statement
Those who have medical issues can go to the hospital. Why to sit there and what, wait in the waiting room for the power to come back on at home. Yes people can prepare for the outage, but it is definitely not as easy for some people as others.

</div></div>

What I meant by the hospital part was for those individuals who have medical machines that need power...most have battery backup but if they don't they can make arrangements with the hospital to make sure they DON"T STOP BREATHING! That is what I meant.

curious1
01-29-2008, 07:35 PM
I posted a response on two separate statements in your post.

The first was that there is never a "Perfect Time" for a power outage, and Just My Opinion that during the day might be a more appropriate time.

The second statement was not understanding why you stated that those who have medical issues can go to the hospital.
As I stated people can prepare for the outage but sometimes it is not possible to prepare for certain medical problems that may arise.

If you need any information regarding home oxygen machines and how they function with and without power please PM me and I will be pleased to give you the details on how to ensure that people using these machine DO NOT STOP BREATHING !

emeraldlee
01-29-2008, 09:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Power interruption notice

There will be an electrical power interruption on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 starting at 2 a.m.

Power will be off for approximately five hours.

Areas affected

Customers within the areas of Huron Street to West Street, Cathcart Street to Canal Drive including Albert Street and Queen Street, west of Huron Street.

The outage is necessary in order to facilitate an upgrade to the electrical equipment servicing your area.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

Contact PUC Services Inc. 759-6535 should you require further information.</div></div>

They could probably delay the upgrade but it might result in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkDCS8xeobg

Shanny
01-29-2008, 09:34 PM
complain complain complain

cybolynx
01-29-2008, 09:55 PM
just be grateful you have electricity ... i have to run batteries and a windmill to make my own electricity ... dang city won't hook my cardboard box up to the power grid ...

axalon2003
01-29-2008, 09:58 PM
T minus 4 hours and counting.

I hope they don't run into any unforseen problems.
Maybe they'll finish early?!?!?!?!?!

No..Really..It could happen. ..They might finish early.

curious1
01-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Or later
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/no_no.gif

The Chronic Liar
01-29-2008, 10:08 PM
10:08 UPDATE From what i see outside there is still rain falling down and dripping off the roof. Right now i am getting ready to open the bunker so i can bring down water and cans of cream corn. If i don't update within an hour it means the power is out and 5 hours of doom will have begun. In that case tell my family i love them very much........wait someones gonna have to stay behind and manually press the button. Enter...bruce willis.

Macs II
01-29-2008, 10:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ☻RB☻</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10:08 UPDATE From what i see outside there is still rain falling down and dripping off the roof. Right now i am getting ready to open the bunker so i can bring down water and cans of cream corn. If i don't update within an hour it means the power is out and 5 hours of doom will have begun. In that case tell my family i love them very much........wait someones gonna have to stay behind and manually press the button. Enter...bruce willis. </div></div>

who cares

The Chronic Liar
01-29-2008, 10:13 PM
dont speak of Bruce this way.

MagicFingers
01-30-2008, 11:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: curious1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I posted a response on two separate statements in your post.

The first was that there is never a "Perfect Time" for a power outage, and Just My Opinion that during the day might be a more appropriate time.

The second statement was not understanding why you stated that those who have medical issues can go to the hospital.
As I stated people can prepare for the outage but sometimes it is not possible to prepare for certain medical problems that may arise.

If you need any information regarding home oxygen machines and how they function with and without power please PM me and I will be pleased to give you the details on how to ensure that people using these machine DO NOT STOP BREATHING !

</div></div>

What is with your attitude? I don't need any information, I know how oxygen machines and such work. I use them often at work which is why I said there was battery back up. I made the statement for those concerned about people on these devices who might die without power. If people were concerned about those who use some sort of machine for oxygen, feeding, medication purposes that didn't have battery back up which is doubtful as they all have battery back up. So why you are lecturing me I don't know. And like I said there is never a perfect time for power outage. Should they do it when it's cold maybe not....but you will always have someone complaining. Make do with what you are given. Whether we like or not it is/was happening we were given advanced notice to make alternate arrangements. Nothing else we can do.