PDA

View Full Version : Cache question for laptop

cage5516
02-02-2008, 07:16 PM
I found a pretty nice system for sale (so I think anyway) /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Anywho...so far the only "problem" I've noticed is that the L2 cache is only 512 KB L2. Is this enough, or should I be looking for more??? HELP!!!!! This is what I am looking at for now...open to suggestions still. Thanks.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core TK-57 1.9GHz

mboy67
02-02-2008, 08:35 PM
it's a dual core CPU with 512 per core. for what most use a laptop for it's over kill. The way that CPU is built more cache is not necessary.

Maryms
02-03-2008, 07:14 AM
I have a TK-55 Turion 1.8ghz and it is fast enough/overkill for what many use a laptop for. I even upgraded to 2GB of system memory and that is overkill for what i need my laptop for, but for the price of the memory i could not say no $50.00 for 2GB (new not used) is a awesome deal. I also got rid of Vista Basic and installed my copy of Windows XP PRO and it of course is much faster on many laptops then Vista is or ever will be on many low-mid range laptops of today.

The 512MB L2 cache your asking about is per core so it is good for a laptop and not to many programs will utilize or benefit from a 1mb cache per core CPU.