PDA

View Full Version : Computer problem

Strife
02-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Okay I am sure I figured this one out but just need some more input. A friend of mine bought a computer off of a guy. Its a real cheap computer but otherwise works.....or worked. Thing is now its coming up with just a blinking cursor after POST. Sometimes it will load into Windows but other times it will just sit at a blinking cursor. I found out that if I do a hardware reset it will work SOMETIMES. There are no beep codes present (except after a hardware reset, it will beep once). Other than that, no beeps. I tried inserting a Windows CD and it wont even boot off of it even though the BIOS is set to boot from CD Drive first. I think its the motherboard.....any suggestions?

Maryms
02-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Try unplugging the ROM units power and cable.

This sounds like a boot up issue of a device. It could also be a bad Video Card not booting up at start up all the time or even a bad driver for the sound or even a bad Nic Card or floppy unit.

It could just be a driver related issue or like you mentioned a bad mobo.

You going to have to try unplugging them one by one to see if this is the issue or not.

Or

It also can be a corrupted windows causing this issue and/or a registry file.

---

Do you get any error messages at all, bsod error codes?

Strife
02-04-2008, 10:58 AM
No error messages at all. I only get that one beep from the mobo whenever I powercycle. Other than that, no beep and no Windows.

mboy67
02-04-2008, 06:26 PM
do a full test of both the hard drive and memory.

Strife
02-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Hey mboy......how much would it cost my friend for you to take a look at it?

Maryms
02-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Did you try what i suggested?

Why waste money if you don't need to do so?

mboy67
02-04-2008, 09:54 PM
I charge $10 a hour. there is no charge it I can't find the problem.

Maryms
02-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Its free if you do it yourself.

Strife
02-04-2008, 11:40 PM
I'll try re-seating everything and try booting up again. I do remember seeing a red light on the mobo when he first got it but it booted up extremely fast so I didnt think anything of it. I'll also try updating the drivers to the mobo aswell. If thats unsuccessful, I'll let my friend know of your rates Mboy and we will be in touch

sniderscott2
02-05-2008, 12:24 AM
may i suggest a tire iron and a welding gun?

Strife
02-05-2008, 01:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ding, fries are done</div><div class="ubbcode-body">may i suggest a tire iron and a welding gun?</div></div>

lol....I've been tempted to use the same tools....

Maryms
02-05-2008, 07:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canadian13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll try re-seating everything and try booting up again. I do remember seeing a red light on the mobo when he first got it but it booted up extremely fast so I didnt think anything of it. I'll also try updating the drivers to the mobo aswell. If thats unsuccessful, I'll let my friend know of your rates Mboy and we will be in touch</div></div>

Try unplugging each device one by one (like i mentioned previously) in the system and see if you can narrow down any device too see if it is a device issue.

02-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Look up the motherboard makers on the internet, and find the "Beep codes"

If it is hardware
Most old bios, have a serious of beeps signifying the problem.

The problem sounds mostly hardware, with the computer open, place your finger on the harddrive (make sure you rub the metal of the case to get rid of any static).
When the computer boots up, the harddrive will spin and you will feel it, if you don't feel it, chances are the harddrive isn't booting up.

Unplug the power from the harddrive, and try another power outlet off the PSU.

As well, it could be a corrupt MBR. Make a windows 98 boot up disk, boot to dos, and fdisk /mbr

Strife
02-06-2008, 01:58 AM
Well as mentioned before either there is no beep or 1 beep. The hard drive is receiving power as I was successful in booting up to Windows on a few occasions.

Cruel_Intentions
02-07-2008, 05:11 PM
How far does it get in the boot exactly/what is the last thing you see on the screen before you get the blinking cursor? To me it sounds like a problem with the motherboard. Have you tried clearing the CMOS and attempting to boot? Something you may want to consider.

To eliminate it being the hard-drive I would just completly unplug it and see if anything changes. I don't think it is the hard-drive tho since that will not usually freeze a system at this point. Also, if you have multiple sticks of ram in the machine, try removing them and just try 1 stick at a time. If you have a discrete video card try switching it for another one. (If it's PCI-E, I have a card I could probably let you use)

Let me know what happens

sniderscott2
02-07-2008, 09:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Canadian13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well as mentioned before either there is no beep or 1 beep. The hard drive is receiving power as I was successful in booting up to Windows on a few occasions. </div></div>

For free and as a favour from one brother to the next, i'll use the tools stated above to solve your problem. mssg me for arrangments.