PDA

View Full Version : John Ryan Turner R.I.P

klinton6969
02-06-2008, 10:16 AM
I realize this happened a long time ago but I feel like I need to share it.

On May 26th 1994 John Ryan Turner died in his home,Miramichi NB.He was 3 years old.

His parents Cpl.Steven Turner and Lorelei Turner were charged with manslaughter.
They were a millitary family stationed at CFB Chatam
Testimony at the trial showed that John Ryan was probably held prisoner in his upstairs bedroom,bound in leather harness and gagged with socks.His emaciated body weighed only 20lbs at death and was covered in cuts,bruises and sores.He also had broken bones that had healed by themselves without medical attention.Most people who viewed the autopsy photographs said his body looked like that of a nazi concentration camp victim.

July 24th 1995
Steven and Lorelei Turner cried when they were sentenced to 16 years in prison for abusing and starving their son to death.The 16 year sentences may be the most severe ever handed down in child abuse cases in Canada.
Mr.Justice Riordon ,who on June 14th,1995 convicted the Turners of manslaughter,said young John Ryan's death at the hands of his parents was deplorable and unexplainable.Judge Riordon said both parents made a conscious decision to abuse and then ignore their young boy.They should have realized they had a deadly sick boy who needed medical attention.John Ryan had not received medical attention in the 19 mos prior to his death.

The Turners appealed their cases all the way to the supreme court of Canada and lost.

UPDATES

MAY 2000:Lorelei Turner granted day parole

May 22,2002: a panel of the National Parole Board in Kingston,Ontario ruled Lorelei Turner be released on full parole but placed on probation until July 2011. Until then, she must remain within 25 kilometres of her residence, is not allowed unsupervised contact with anyone under 16, and must continue to receive counselling.
She is believed to be living in Sault St-Marie,Ontario

If you would like to read an article on the parole board's decision

http://www.fact.on.ca/news/news0205/ca02052a.htm

Steven Turner only served 6 years of his 16 year sentence. He was granted full parole in August 2001.After his release,he attended Cambrian College in Sudbury,Ontario for 3 years where he took the Electrical Engineering technology course. He is still residing in the province of Ontario where he works.
He is now living in the city of Sault St-Marie as well .

I don't mean to offend anyone by posting this and I don't even know if I am in the right forum but I had to fill you all in.

I am from Nova Scotia and I remember when this little one died...horrified everyone.
I've also seen this topic on Sootoday recently but it keeps getting deleted.
I can't seem to get around how a parent can do this to their child...& over a 3 year period...tears me apart as a parent/human.

MissMuffett
02-06-2008, 10:43 AM
They should've given him them the death penatly.. I HOPE THEY READ THAT TOO!! Living in the sault! Astonishing how u never know your neigbours!!! Disgusting!! Words cannot express how angry this makes me!!

binky
02-06-2008, 10:48 AM
klinjton you wouldnt offend anyone if you told where these people are either.

klinton6969
02-06-2008, 10:49 AM
I agree 110%...I'm glad I posted for those of you who didn't know about this.

klinton6969
02-06-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't know where they are living as in a home address...I wish I did......

Bufford
02-06-2008, 10:52 AM
The last I heard she is living with her Mother in the Goulais River area.

GRUMPY
02-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Well if you think about it most times they only serve 1/3 of the time so he should have been out in 5 and a bit.

AmdWolfman
02-06-2008, 11:47 AM
He better know how to fight, even with the army's self defence. He'll get his arse kiked everyday, guarnteed.

bowtie
02-06-2008, 11:50 AM
hes an electrician in the coke ovens.

everyone there had to go through sensitivity training...

MaO3
02-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Sensitivity training - now thats laughable.
How utterly ridiculous! He needs the f-ing training.

How anyone could starve a child and abuse him to the point of his death is just beyond me.

bowtie
02-06-2008, 11:58 AM
apparently he has more rights than his co-workers, hes already received threats via email.

if anyone is caught harassing him or trys to harm him, youre pretty much fired.

apparently he got in before you needed to be bonded, and the only reason he can work there is because he does not work around children.

i know a few people that know this man very well.

GRUMPY
02-06-2008, 12:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowtie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">apparently he has more rights than his co-workers, hes already received threats via email.

if anyone is caught harassing him or trys to harm him, youre pretty much fired.
</div></div>

NO he has as many rights as anyone else no more no less and company policy is if you get caught harassing ANYONE you will be fired.The guy has served his time and has just as many rights as you or I. I think what he did deserved more time,however he got what he got and theres nothing we can do about it. I'd hate to see anyone lose their job for being stupid. You can not harass him but theres nothing stating you have to like him or be friends.

klinton6969
02-06-2008, 12:42 PM
I disagree with the "theres nothing we can do about it" part...legally your right but at the very least this man and woman deserve to be given a "hard" time for the rest of their lives...you don't just change b/c you served a few years in jail and get hasseled at your place of work...this man can't be much different than the days when he was starving his baby son.

lynys
02-06-2008, 12:48 PM
The man served his time, as did his wife.

Just because we don't necessarily agree with it, the law is the law. Harassing him, and threatening him is against the law.

Some people kill me. If you do not like the way our country decides punishments for criminals, then do something about it, such as calling up David O. It is not his fault he only served that amount of time.

GRUMPY
02-06-2008, 12:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KlintonCrystal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I disagree with the "theres nothing we can do about it" part...legally your right but at the very least this man and woman deserve to be given a "hard" time for the rest of their lives...you don't just change b/c you served a few years in jail and get hasseled at your place of work...this man can't be much different than the days when he was starving his baby son. </div></div>

Give your head a shake but be sure to put your fingers in your ears so no brains come rolling out. All that will do is open up a can of worms for your family and YOUR family will suffer so what do you end up proving? What do you suggest that we take the both of them out and stone them?

Bufford
02-06-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm glad that the courts were wise enough to take their little girl away from them, and that she was adopted to a unknown family in a unknown place.

GRUMPY
02-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Yes it was a good thing to do.

tippikitty
02-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Wow! I'm not even going to touch this.

CharliBean
02-06-2008, 01:08 PM
hmmm... oh i see he got in before you had to bonded...gotcha /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

....i hope he and his wife are soonet members.... and i hope they read every nasty thing thats written about them... and i hope that they cant sleep at night... and i hope that they spend thier entier lives feeling tormented over what they did to their child.....

you're right tippy. Better nt even to touch this one.

kitty&mimi
02-06-2008, 01:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lynys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The man served his time, as did his wife.

Just because we don't necessarily agree with it, the law is the law. Harassing him, and threatening him is against the law.

</div></div>

true and i agree with u
but that doesnt mean we dont have 2 psychos living among us

02-06-2008, 01:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eyezofanangel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They should've given him them the death penatly.. I HOPE THEY READ THAT TOO!! Living in the sault! Astonishing how u never know your neigbours!!! Disgusting!! Words cannot express how angry this makes me!!
</div></div>

So.. I take it you are all for bringing back the death penalty?

kuietgrl (got lost)
02-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Whether you agree with the outcome or not, they did their time. They now have same rights as anyone else.

Personally, I'd like to know who they are and what they look like just so I can avoid them. Same goes for any child abuser, pedophile or sexual offender.

SusyQ
02-06-2008, 01:54 PM
RIGHTS? UHUH where were the childs RIGHTS while he was being treated like an animal. The justice system is pathetic.

SusyQ
02-06-2008, 01:56 PM
And if you lady are a member of this board or someone on here knows her tell her that SHE MAKES ME SICK!

kuietgrl (got lost)
02-06-2008, 01:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RIGHTS? UHUH where were the childs RIGHTS while he was being treated like an animal. The justice system is pathetic. </div></div>

I didn't say I agreed with it...

I think our justice system is much too slack.

SusyQ
02-06-2008, 02:10 PM
*kuietgrl* that wasn't meant for you it was a general statement for the situation.

kuietgrl (got lost)
02-06-2008, 02:14 PM
I know lol I'm pretty sure there aren't many people out there that would agree they served the time they deserved (they deserved MUCH more, IMO) but they served the time they recieved. Nobody can change it and they are now free to roam about like nothing happened.

SusyQ
02-06-2008, 02:20 PM
How can they live with what they did? See thats the part that gets me *kuietgrl* they killed a baby THERE BABY I don't know it just makes me ill how they will be celebrating birthdays holidays laughing and giggling like nothing happenned. Not right.

kuietgrl (got lost)
02-06-2008, 02:24 PM
They continue to live their lives because they obviously aren't like you or I. We could never do that to a child. Therefore, we would never be able to live with ourselves if it happened to one of our children.

They, however, are perfectly capable of neglecting, abusing, starving and torturing a child. If their conscience didn't kick in when it was happening, do you think it will now? Personally, I don't think either of them even have a conscience. I don't think either of them think like a normal, loving human does.

SusyQ
02-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Like animals one should be neutered the other spaded so they can NEVER reproduce again. Sad thing is that down the road they may have another child then what? No one can stop them cause they did their time and now they are free too do what anyone else can do. Thats a crock of BULL. I hate this story.

Sophie's_Mommy
02-06-2008, 02:45 PM
this just makes me sick to my stomach, how can someone hurt or kill their own child, i ll never understand it, i wish nothing but the worst for them for the entire lives.

02-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Like Tippi, I'm not touching this one either.

Super Gram
02-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Me either..

klinton6969
02-06-2008, 04:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KlintonCrystal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I disagree with the "theres nothing we can do about it" part...legally your right but at the very least this man and woman deserve to be given a "hard" time for the rest of their lives...you don't just change b/c you served a few years in jail and get hasseled at your place of work...this man can't be much different than the days when he was starving his baby son. </div></div>

Give your head a shake but be sure to put your fingers in your ears so no brains come rolling out. All that will do is open up a can of worms for your family and YOUR family will suffer so what do you end up proving? What do you suggest that we take the both of them out and stone them? </div></div>

Well it sure seems to be a touchy subject doesn't it...
I hope you feel better now getting that bit of nastiness out.
No memeber of my family will suffer from myself being unkind to such a person...

jaypea
02-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Some people seem scared to talk about this topic. KlintonCrystal did you type in thier names to get this info? There is also a memorial page and the gravsite of John.

klinton6969
02-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Yeh I googled and I also had an email.

Giggle Squirt
02-06-2008, 09:48 PM
If you are going to post this "crime" as horiffic as it is, you might as well post every other crime or abuse or anyting because even thought i don't agree with what they did, it is not up to us to determine their fate. He without sin cast the first stone.

GRUMPY
02-06-2008, 10:00 PM
As I stated before that while this was a very sick crime there is a lot of child abuse going on out there. Not all of it is violent to me some of the worst is to ignore your kids, kind of reminds me of people who have a dog and keep it chained up in the back yard where the only contact they have with it is when they give it food and water.

jaypea
02-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Do you know lorelei? if you did, you would cast the first stone.I know who she is, and she is a psychos.If she lived next to you , you would never know. I never did.

jaypea
02-06-2008, 10:30 PM
HE never got any food, water,love or anything, but death at three. Can not compare that to a pet, atleast a pet will have someone who gives a s$$t, or someone will report it.

GRUMPY
02-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm not saying that it is the same thing , I just used that as an example. Where its one thing to bring a child into this world and its something else to be involved with helping it evolve into a complete human being. There are some guys out there that feel that as soon as their 2 minutes are up thats all thats required of them, then the pawn off the kid on some poor relative to take care of every chance they get.

jaypea
02-06-2008, 11:37 PM
well John did not have that chance did he.

jaypea
02-07-2008, 12:08 AM
I have four kids ,and 8 gand ones and i would take them if they were at at risk

Bufford
02-07-2008, 10:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaypea</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know lorelei? if you did, you would cast the first stone.I know who she is, and she is a psychos.If she lived next to you , you would never know. I never did. </div></div>

Your post implies that you lived next door to Lorelei just out of curiosity could you please give us a time line and what area that was, of course not the address just a general area as in East end West end etc and was this before or after she was in jail?

snowtrax
02-07-2008, 11:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SusyQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RIGHTS? UHUH where were the childs RIGHTS while he was being treated like an animal. The justice system is pathetic. </div></div>

my thoughts exactly:(

bbydoll
02-08-2008, 09:59 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KlintonCrystal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I disagree with the "theres nothing we can do about it" part...legally your right but at the very least this man and woman deserve to be given a "hard" time for the rest of their lives...you don't just change b/c you served a few years in jail and get hasseled at your place of work...this man can't be much different than the days when he was starving his baby son. </div></div>

Give your head a shake but be sure to put your fingers in your ears so no brains come rolling out. All that will do is open up a can of worms for your family and YOUR family will suffer so what do you end up proving? What do you suggest that we take the both of them out and stone them? </div></div>

There is tons we can do about it and spreading the word is one of them. It is not a crime to let people know that they live amongst us. I don't want my children at risk and if we are aware of it then it's one less secret in our society.

And I agree that this couple can't possibly be much different or have much different mentalities. I don't agree that they could be rehabilitated from such a horrible crime to being "normal" citizens.

Give your head a shake? Are you kidding me? Have you given yours a shake lately? So we keep our mouths shut, never tell a soul and PRAY that these psychos don't somehow find their way to one of our children? SURE WONDERFUL IDEA!!! Now imagine the can of worms you just opened now and the pain and suffering you just created for your family for keeping our mouths shut.

So what we are proving is that we can do what the legal system is not doing and protect our loved ones and our neighbours; our society.

So I will be the first to cast the stone and SAY HELL YA SPREAD THE WORD!!! (If that is what you consider throwing stone so to speak)

GRUMPY
02-08-2008, 11:31 PM
If you are able to read go back and read my posts I don't care what people say or talk about these vermin as long as it stays at that. What I'm against is any confrontation or harassing of them what so ever. The only thing that would do is bring pain and financial suffering to those doing it.

jaypea
02-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Yes Bufford, i lived next door to her. Tried to become a friend,but over a short time put 2@2, and voila,, i found out more . This was after her jail time.I type in her name and it was sick what she(they) did.I did not know how to deal with it.As for were she lives about 10 min north of SSM and works in town. IS that all?

klinton6969
02-09-2008, 10:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bbydoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KlintonCrystal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I disagree with the "theres nothing we can do about it" part...legally your right but at the very least this man and woman deserve to be given a "hard" time for the rest of their lives...you don't just change b/c you served a few years in jail and get hasseled at your place of work...this man can't be much different than the days when he was starving his baby son. </div></div>

There is tons we can do about it and spreading the word is one of them. It is not a crime to let people know that they live amongst us. I don't want my children at risk and if we are aware of it then it's one less secret in our society.

And I agree that this couple can't possibly be much different or have much different mentalities. I don't agree that they could be rehabilitated from such a horrible crime to being "normal" citizens.

Give your head a shake? Are you kidding me? Have you given yours a shake lately? So we keep our mouths shut, never tell a soul and PRAY that these psychos don't somehow find their way to one of our children? SURE WONDERFUL IDEA!!! Now imagine the can of worms you just opened now and the pain and suffering you just created for your family for keeping our mouths shut.

So what we are proving is that we can do what the legal system is not doing and protect our loved ones and our neighbours; our society.

So I will be the first to cast the stone and SAY HELL YA SPREAD THE WORD!!! (If that is what you consider throwing stone so to speak) </div></div>

My thoughts exactly

bbydoll
02-09-2008, 10:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are able to read go back and read my posts I don't care what people say or talk about these vermin as long as it stays at that. What I'm against is any confrontation or harassing of them what so ever. The only thing that would do is bring pain and financial suffering to those doing it. </div></div>

I am pretty sure I can read! Your post was in respoonse to the above quoted which clearly indicates that you were saying that we should not give them a "hard" time. By "hard" time we are implying that they should be "haunted" so to speak about everyone knowing the truth. I didn't read anything in the post you quoted about any confrontations or harrasments taking place ??? SO what are you trying to say? There was no reason for you to make that statement then "Give your head a shake" We are just spreading the word!

klinton6969
02-10-2008, 11:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bbydoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are able to read go back and read my posts I don't care what people say or talk about these vermin as long as it stays at that. What I'm against is any confrontation or harassing of them what so ever. The only thing that would do is bring pain and financial suffering to those doing it. </div></div>

I am pretty sure I can read! Your post was in respoonse to the above quoted which clearly indicates that you were saying that we should not give them a "hard" time. By "hard" time we are implying that they should be "haunted" so to speak about everyone knowing the truth. I didn't read anything in the post you quoted about any confrontations or harrasments taking place ??? SO what are you trying to say? There was no reason for you to make that statement then "Give your head a shake" We are just spreading the word! </div></div>

Again bbydoll, my thoughts exactly...I didn't think my post needed clarifying but apparently I was wrong. Very well said.

bluekrissyspikes
02-10-2008, 11:47 AM
everyone in town should wait outside their places and throw snow at them everyday until they move away.. it is sick that anyone would do that too thier poor little innocent baby. it's true that they served their time and they are free now, supposably payed back their debt to society, but i wouldn't want them living in my neighbor hood, or i would be outside throwing snow and rocks at them. i hope they are reading this so they see that baby-killers are not welcome in our society. they will get what's coming to them though, some day. what goes around always comes back around.

spiritquilter
02-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Have to chime in on this one. I grew up with her, went to school sleepovers etc. I am very opinionated on this particular subject and strongly feel some people should be spayed/neutered the same way we alter our pets.