PDA

View Full Version : physX + Nvidia ...

cybolynx
02-06-2008, 01:17 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/04/nvidia-to-acquire-ageia/

Cruel_Intentions
02-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Damn, you beat me to it by 5 min:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/05/analysis_nvidia_s_ageia_purchase_a_brilliant_move_/page5.html

All in all, this could prove to be one of the most exciting/promising merger of 2008.

Killswitch
02-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Ageia hasn't went anywhere in terms of hardware to begin with so I can't see that being a big deal.

Cruel_Intentions
02-06-2008, 01:57 PM
As far as consumer products go, your right, Ageia doesn't offer much. Where their value lies is in game programming tools/hardware.
I won't go into depth, but take a look at the article I posted from tomshardware.com. It's lengthy, but good.

Maryms
02-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Well this is not really new news as we all knew that one of the two manfacturers would scoop Ageia up and we all know ATI has their own physics project that is better then Ageia's and Nvidia's.

cybolynx
02-06-2008, 09:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dusk-Till-Dawn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well this is not really new news as we all knew that one of the two manfacturers would scoop Ageia up and we all know ATI has their own physics project that is better then Ageia's and Nvidia's.

</div></div>

it's only better if it's implemented ... one could look at it as wasted hardware as well ...

BUT ...again it depends solely on software devs ...

One could look at it like this .. upgrade your video card and you get more from your old card ...

Cruel_Intentions
02-06-2008, 09:33 PM
yep, personally, I wouldn't go out and by another discrete card to enhance the physics of the game I was playing. However, if I was in the market for a new card and one manufacturer had a good solution built in and the other didn't, I know which one I would buy

Maryms
02-07-2008, 11:27 AM
ATI = Has their own
Nvidia = Has to buy one to maybe get it to work right.. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

filthy
02-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I have yet to see ATI's in the market? Know anyone using it&gt;

Maryms
02-07-2008, 11:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Filthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have yet to see ATI's in the market? Know anyone using it&gt;</div></div>

Yeah its built into the CARDS from X1600 and up and when in crossfire mode it is even better 2 x x1900's was awesome. ATI has the built in processing of more Physics then Nvidia does, also you can use a X1600 for a crossfire setup for a Physics Card instead of a second crossfire card, so basically one good card and a X1600 for more Physics.

shadowjak
02-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Nvidia officials revealed that the company intends to deliver a complete PhysX platform with performance that raises the bar. It will be PhysX on as broad a GPU offering; at the same time a platform with performance that raises the bar.

However, exact hardware models and configurations will be determined over the coming months.

In addition, Nvidia's CUDA, a parallel-computing program, will also integrate PhysX technology. Also, CUDA might soon add some new applications such as computer vision and video- or image- processing.

Meanwhile, Nvidia plans to stay committed to hardware-accelerated Physics and support Ageia's current PPU customer commitments, as well as its future business.

Commenting on future games that will be powered by PhysX, Nvidia officials said that they plan to combine the power of PhysX technology with modern GPU architectures to deliver compelling Physics to both PC and next-generation gaming consoles.

Right now, there are over 140 games on the market that have support for Physics, including UnReal Tournament 3, Ghost Recon 2, and WarMonger.

Apart from gaming, PhysX also includes some other applications such as Robotics Microsoft Robotics Studio; Industrial Amtri PhysVis system visualization and simulation; and Military Simulations Alion Deployable Virtual Training (US Marines).

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Whats_Nvidias_Plan_for_Ageia/551-86661-547.html

Maryms
02-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Wait for AMD's Fusion Technology and see what they will offer as it will be a GPU on CPU platform.

cybolynx
02-10-2008, 12:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Famous MadMax Returns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait for AMD's Fusion Technology and see what they will offer as it will be a GPU on CPU platform. </div></div>

fusion is for laptops and handhelds and low end computers ...

its purpose is low power draw ...

at least for the start ...

Chrylon
02-13-2008, 10:47 PM
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080213/aqw093.html?.v=37

looks like Nvidia has officially merged with Ageia

AmdWolfman
02-14-2008, 09:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Famous MadMax Returns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait for AMD's Fusion Technology and see what they will offer as it will be a GPU on CPU platform. </div></div>

Ya , i can't wait to see some results on whats coming up

cybolynx
02-17-2008, 08:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AmdWolfMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Famous MadMax Returns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait for AMD's Fusion Technology and see what they will offer as it will be a GPU on CPU platform. </div></div>

Ya , i can't wait to see some results on whats coming up </div></div>

Fusion is for lowend ...