PDA

View Full Version : Nighttime coughing fits

adigirl
02-07-2008, 12:55 AM
How do you deal with them??????????? They are driving me nuts. There has to be something I can do to make them calmer. I am taking Benylin all-in-one.

chase_me
02-07-2008, 01:11 AM
put vicks on the bottom of your feet then put socks on and go to bed, it really does work i promise

adigirl
02-07-2008, 01:13 AM
That's what Grumpy told me to do too! I thought he was toyin' with me lol Gonna do that right now.

Thanks!

Floyd
02-07-2008, 01:15 AM
Give the kid a half of a night time cold and cough remedy. It's going to drive you nuts...(the coughing) but it will subside. Whatever you do....don't make the poor kid stay in the house...the fresh air won't hurt. If he feels like playing, then he's not too far gone. Let him play! Don't cover the kid in Vaporub and make him stay in bed....if you do that, then, you're the one that's sick!!!!
And if he does feel that crappy...leave him alone and let him sleep!

adigirl
02-07-2008, 01:17 AM
wtf are you talking about? I am talking about ME! I wouldn't complain about my son.

Floyd
02-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Well...I misunderstood that first post I guess.
Well...it's a lot easier when you're talking about an adult.
Very easy......NyQuil.....
NyQuil will do everything....HOWEVER...the recommended dosage for an adult is 2 tablespoons (or the equivalent of the "cap" that comes with the medicine)
Many people find that half the dose is quite efficient. NyQuil will knock you out.......
Make sure you have enough time in the morning to sleep it off and don't forget to turn off the stove!
If you have huge cold symptoms.....you should try it!

chase_me
02-07-2008, 02:04 AM
adi has a baby girl she cannot take cold medicine that will knock her out. i hope the vicks worked for you

GoldDogs
02-07-2008, 03:39 AM
MMMmmm, vicks rocks. Just get a whole body massage in Vicks!! Hehehe... it makes you breathe like you've never breathed before!!!!

Does the foot thing really work?

chase_me
02-07-2008, 04:10 AM
yes it does really work, i have done it before on my kids

Xzavia
02-07-2008, 07:40 AM
My son had been suffering with this bad cough, seemed as soon as he got rid of it, couple days and it'd be back again. We had many sleepless nights trying to calm it down so he could sleep.

Finally one of his teachers reccomended we try an old time remedy...a mustard paste. I tell yah, I swear by those now. Make it up 3 times a day and put it on your upper chest for 10-15 minutes each time. You need to put it on while it's hot for it to work.

2 tablespoons dry mustard
2 tablespoons flour
Add boiling water to make it a thick paste.

Then spread it on a piece of flannel and place on your chest. (My son found it sensitive so we put a paper towel between his skin and the paste. (You might get some redness from the mustard on your chest but it does go away).

By the next day we noticed a huge difference in his cough, within a few days it was gone.

Ask any older relative person if they've heard of this, I couldn't believe how many did and said it always worked when they were young.

adigirl
02-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks all!

Yup, baby means no meds that will knock me out.

kuietgrl (got lost)
02-07-2008, 07:42 AM
My grandma swears by the mustard thing, too. And yeah, it will burn the skin a bit if it's in direct contact and left too long.

02-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Sleep in a Lazy Boy, sitting up.. or in a partial sitting position.
Also, sleeping with a steamer often helps. And put a daub of vicks in the steamer.

J*B
02-07-2008, 10:38 AM
B U C K L E Y ' S ..Some call it Yuckley's but it works!

KelBear
02-07-2008, 11:03 AM
samething is happening to me the last couple of nights... keeps me up all night.. I got up and took a couple of tylenol last night and had a halls to numb my sore throat, and I was able to fall asleep.

AnnF.
02-08-2008, 11:23 PM
The Vicks on the feet worked for me and my kids when we were coughing at night. Give it a try!