PDA

View Full Version : Crossfire X Support For Quad-GPUs in March

Killswitch
02-07-2008, 10:52 PM
http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/06/amd_crossfire_x_support_for_quad_gpus_to_arrive_in _march/

ATI could cause a hairy situation for nVidia next month! lol

filthy
02-07-2008, 10:58 PM
that's a lot of money to have that setup, quad CPU, 790FX mobo and many GPU's.

You could match or beat it with an Intel Quad, 780i and many Nvidia GPU's.

I think what's happened is AMD/ATI has finally caught up after a brief history of not even being in the high end game.

The full on competition again is win win for all us socket junkies...lol.

Killswitch
02-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Meh, you don't need a quad core CPU to build a Crossfire X system. Also, 3850's aren't that expensive if you opt to have more then two graphics cards. You can even mix and match 3870's with 3850's if you want, and NO the 3870 won't be held back! Both cards will run at their own speeds.

But to me, this all means that someone who buys a 790FX motherboard with more then two PCIe X16 slots will be good to go for a very, very longtime.

It's just another AMD/ATI staple in the back of your mind to let you know that you didn't waste your money. That's something of huge importance now days seeing how this stuff is advancing so quickly.

I only bought the a 790X mobo which has two PCIe X16 slots, but I can always go with a pair of 3870X2's if I need to (or whatever else there is at that point). Perhaps I can get one 3870X2 to run in Crossfire X with my current card?

Anyhow, I think DAMMIT is taking a very smart turn with their products. Affordable and extremely scalable with a lot of options. This next set of drivers they're gearing up are going to open up some doors for the industry and the consumer.