PDA

View Full Version : modding xbox 360

Zion_Noiz
02-14-2008, 01:17 PM
anyone know how to mod it so you can just burn games to the console?

B.David
02-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Hard Mods? No idea. I just had my drive flashed to iXtreme 1.4 firmware the other day and I play burned copies.

Zion_Noiz
02-14-2008, 03:01 PM
i dont know if i wanna go hard mod or not, but im not ruling it out, i just want to be able to rent or borrow a game and burn it to my xbox, how do you get your burned games, clearly you would need a decent comp, but do you just download it and burn them?

motorcar
02-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Yes i know how.

Zion_Noiz
02-14-2008, 03:04 PM
pm sent

motorcar
02-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Yeah and one back.

B.David
02-14-2008, 03:21 PM
"Introduction
This area will cover the available modding options for the Xbox360. One important thing you should know, if you have used a modded Xbox, a modded Xbox360 does not give you any of the features or functions of a modded Xbox gives you other than playing backup games. So no there's no way to run media center, no there's no way to run homebrew, no there's no way to run emulators, no there's no way to store games on the hard drive, and no there's no way up swap out the hard drive for a larger one.. yet. The Xbox360 is a heavily secured system and the things you're used to seeing on a modded Xbox are only available because a modded Xbox opens up the entire system. The mod for Xbox360 is what's known as a drive mod which means it modifies the DVD drive only to make it think it's running an original, nothing else.

The Modchips
With the Xbox360 there's actually no modchip options. There are modchips available, but when you look at the price versus features, it becomes a no brainer. Hence the firmware flash would be the obvious choice."

That's from buddies' website that modded my Wii, 360, and PS2. And, hundreds of people online say that firmware flash is the best route to go, and offers a lesser chance of being banned from Xbox Live.

For me, I just download games through torrent sites, and burn them using ImgBurn (Freeware). You are required to use dual layer discs, and the 360 reads Memorex discs quite fine. They go on sale for about $34.99 at FutureShop quite often... 50 discs.

You can't just put a 360 game into your computer and copy it unfortunately. You need the Samsung TS-H352C DVD-ROM flashed with Kreon firmware to read and dump 360 games to your PC. Download fully stealthed games and keep it simple for yourself. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I got Burnout Paradise, Devil May Cry 4, Turok, and Lost Odyssey this past few days.

Zion_Noiz
02-16-2008, 10:14 AM
i just rented devil may cry 4, its awsome!!!

B.David
02-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I have a copy that I downloaded. Great game, but I'm playing Burnout Paradise & Lost Odyssey this week.

Boondock
02-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Apple....Just...Damnitt... I'm so jealous man. If I ever have an opportunity to mod my 360 I'll jump at it. Till then it's gonna sit there and collect dust while I finish Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy 7,8,and 9 and Star Ocean on the modded PSP.

B.David
02-16-2008, 01:18 PM
If I weren't me, I'd be more jealous of myself for having Smash Bros. over a month before its out here. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Modded systems are the way to go. And, for the 360, I don't really care if I get banned from Live, as I don't play Live enough in the first place.

As for the PSP, I'm actually gonna pick one up in about a month and get m buddy to mod it free... for the same games that you just listed. I've only ever played FFIX and still haven't beaten it actually.

filthy
02-16-2008, 06:48 PM
All you need for a PSP mod is a Pandora's Battery and a 4GB Memory Stick Duo. Then the floodgates open...

B.David
02-17-2008, 05:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Filthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All you need for a PSP mod is a Pandora's Battery and a 4GB Memory Stick Duo. Then the floodgates open...</div></div>

Not familiar with how to do it myself, but got a buddy who lives about a 2 minute walk from my apartment and he offered to do it free when I buy the system. Good enough for me. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Boondock
02-18-2008, 09:49 AM
You don't need a 4 gig memory stick I have a 2 gig and the only problem I've run into in over 200 hundred games I have is final fantasy 8 for psx emulation weighing in at 2.1 gigs.

Prolly the greatest system I've owned just for playing the oldies on snes, gba, genesis, and psx. The actual PSP games are nothing to write home to mom about, but some of them are are pretty good like "Disgea" and the newly released "Patapon". The new God of War should be out next month too which I'm stoked about.

filthy
02-18-2008, 12:56 PM
The size of the memory stick was a suggestion, but it is more than just games. You can also have a ton of music and movies, that with all the games makes it a little monster media machine.

filthy
02-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Anyways, we were off topic there...lol.

So if you flash this modded firmware to your XBOX 360's HDD you can then play backups?

PacoSanchez15
02-18-2008, 10:48 PM
The modded firmware is to the DVD-Rom and yes it allows you to download and play burned games.

B.David
02-19-2008, 01:42 AM
Correct. I paid $20 and had the flash done in about 15 minutes while I watched the guy do it. My games are on Verbatim DVD+R Dual Layer discs. If you get the iXtreme 1.4 firmware, which is the latest, you can only play stealth patched games, which are what you want. They give you the least chance of being banned from Live.

Some people will say you'll get banned right away, which made me nervous, but I took the chance... and lately I'm playing a burned copy of Burnout Paradise on Live for 1-4 hours a day and I have no problems. /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Zion_Noiz
02-19-2008, 09:28 AM
nice, so now i need to find some one who can do it for me, then someone i can pay to burn me games, cuz my computer sucks and couldn't handle it...lol

PacoSanchez15
02-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Depending on what kind of drive you have it's actually a pretty simple thing to do. I've done all the different drives other than the Benq.

There is plenty of information on xbox-scene forums on how to do it and what the latest and best firmwares for each drives to use. That is where I learned how to do it and I had no previous experience in modding any other systems.

Zion_Noiz
02-19-2008, 09:56 AM
how would i find out what kind of drive i have?

B.David
02-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Hitachi 79 series drives require more work so people charge more. The guy here in Ottawa that did mine charged me $20 (Toshiba-Samsung drive) and charges $80 for the H79 Series.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/thefury23/xbox-360-dvd-drive1.jpg

Zion_Noiz
02-21-2008, 10:02 AM
ill check my 360 next time im near it, is the only way to check it to just look for the differences in the drives, they never just used different drives for the different kinds of 360s?

filthy
02-21-2008, 01:19 PM
I have an XBOX360 Elite, and from your pic looks like the BenQ (LiteOn-Philips) drive. All I need is the proper firmware and a memory stick?

B.David
02-22-2008, 12:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Filthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an XBOX360 Elite, and from your pic looks like the BenQ (LiteOn-Philips) drive. All I need is the proper firmware and a memory stick?</div></div>

You just need to have the firmware flashed, and then you can read backups. You have to download the games and burn them to dual layer DVDs.

You can only rip your own games through the PC if you have the TS-H352C Samsung DVD-ROM, w/Kreon firmware.

filthy
02-22-2008, 04:03 AM
Ya I know where/how to make backups...have done so a few consoles before, still debating the possible "LIVE" banishment.

Which method do you prefer for flashing?

Zion_Noiz
02-22-2008, 09:21 AM
looks like i got a benQ one too cuz i got the elite

B.David
02-22-2008, 09:22 AM
I don't know if there's more than one way to flash the drive. I just know there's either the flash, or a physical modchip in the system. More people with the chips get banned, whereas the firmware is a much lesser chance of it happening. I still play backups online and have had no issues.

PacoSanchez15
02-22-2008, 08:25 PM
There is only one way to flash the drive it just might vary a little depending on the type of drive. I found the Hitachi's to be pretty easy compared to the Samsung-Toshiba mostly because you could do the Hitachi's right in Windows as opposed to command line for the Sammy's.

My first 360 got banned as well as two of my friends and a couple more people I know all running the flashed firmware. I survived the first two major waves of banning but got hit on the 3rd round not long after the last update.

Zion_Noiz
02-25-2008, 10:14 AM
so anyone know how to do this?

filthy
02-26-2008, 03:49 PM
I have been researching this, and have the tools and firmware, and I don't care about being banned from LIVE, but I always worry about a flashing procedure going bad and rendering the unit dead. I heard you can replace the ODD with a few other models though in such a case.

PacoSanchez15
02-26-2008, 06:07 PM
As long as you follow the directions you shouldn't need to worry. The new firmware won't flash unless it successfully dumps the original firmware first so if something does go wrong you should be able to re-flash the original back on.

I've done at least 4 and never had an issue and I didn't have any experience at doing anything like this before. I just read as much as I could on xboxscene forums and then did it.

Karl
02-26-2008, 06:39 PM
It is an easy procedure to do, just look it up online on how to flash it.