PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a low fat HUMMUS recipe

LettuceLady
02-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Please & thank you /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Must be vegan as well /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

kitca
02-15-2008, 05:35 PM
what do you mean by lowfat? mine calls for a bit of olive oil, ill dig it out for you asap.

LettuceLady
02-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Some call for some high fat ingredients. Me & my husband made some last night. It was pretty good. You cant get Tahiti paste here so we had to use the spread. We also doubled the garlic which was too much but, it was still good. I got the recipe from Martha Stewarts website. Im looking for something that has been tried already.

tasma
02-16-2008, 04:26 PM
This easy hummus recipe replaces most of the traditional tahini with yogurt. This is a great alternative for those who are watching their weight.

INGREDIENTS:
1 15 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained (save liquid)
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon tahini, or low fat peanut butter if you prefer (optional, but if you do not use, increase yogurt by 1 TBLS
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon salt
PREPARATION:
In a food processor combine beans, tahini (if desired), yogurt, garlic, and lemon juice. Blend well. Add salt and cumin and blend to a smooth and creamy dip.

If you hummus is too thick, add a little bit of the liquid from the chickpeas - about a teaspoon at time.

Other ways to thin out hummus is by using warm water or olive oil also.

kitca
02-17-2008, 06:34 PM
i make mine with no tahini or yogurt,just the above recipe more or less and we all really like it.oh, i add a tablespoon of chickpea liquid and a tablespoon of olive oil. maybe we are just used to it that way.