PDA

View Full Version : The Battle is over, HD vs BR

Miss
02-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Click here (http://soonews.ca/viewarticle.php?id=15991)

hemi_69
02-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Glad I have a blue ray player lol
Seen it coming as soon as Warner Brothers made there announcment, just didnt think it would be that quick lol

filthy
02-16-2008, 06:45 PM
I have Blu-Ray and an HDMI player for my big collection of standard DVD's. I only bought 2 HD-DVD disks, and one was a dual with HD and Standard on the other side.

shadowjak
02-16-2008, 07:55 PM
I didnt buy either format for home use.Now that HD-DVD is dead Blu-ray will become a lot cheaper and they will be offering Blu-Ray burners(they are already out for computers),that is if it isnt bumped out by another technology such as the Holographic Versatile disc.

\m/ Rich \m/
02-16-2008, 08:24 PM
now that it's official, im glad i havent jumped on either format, and especially glad i didnt buy that hdvd burner that a certain someone had for sale on here.

xXx
02-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Haha, i knew it from the beginning, thats why i stuck with PS3 instead of Xbox.

Heres the article.

Soonews.ca, Got an HDDVD Player? You're Screwed! (http://soonews.ca/viewarticle.php?id=15991)

cybolynx
02-17-2008, 12:57 AM
wrong section no ?

Killswitch
02-17-2008, 01:03 AM
Well it's news so I would think it's the right section.... sorta. lol

Someone already posted about it earlier, but they should change their title to something more relevant so no one else misses it.

http://www.soonet.ca/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=544450&page=1#Post544450

xXx
02-17-2008, 01:15 AM
ya see,i couldnt find it

xXx
02-17-2008, 01:18 AM
so to those who swear by X-Box and argued with me in the past.....I told ya so, now you have a useless hd-dvd player addon sitting beside your xbox. :), I wonder what microsoft is going to do now. any ideas people??

xXx
02-17-2008, 01:19 AM
hey, change the name of your post, cause i made the same thing.

filthy
02-17-2008, 04:33 AM
I told ya so? Are you for real? I have a 360 and a PS3, and although the PS3 is the choice for movies, have you forgot that the XBOX 360 is a gaming console first and foremost? It's as good a gaming console as the PS3.

For movies overall I still prefer the HDMI player as most people have dozens and dozens of standard DVD's.

tired-n-cranky
02-17-2008, 09:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Filthy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For movies overall I still prefer the HDMI player as most people have dozens and dozens of standard DVD's. </div></div>

What exactly is an HDMI player??? You mean an upconverting DVD player using a HDMI connection?

shadowjak
02-17-2008, 10:20 AM
"If all the talk of HD DVD's demise wasn't enough to actually convince you that it's all but over for HD DVD, take a look at these numbers from the research group NPD. The two formats sold almost neck and neck in the week leading up to CES, but Blu-ray completely knee-to-groined HD DVD in the week of CES's shenanigans with a 92.53% hardware sales rate. Our only question is: what the heck is that 7.47% thinking?"

"Wal-Mart Stores announced on Friday morning that it, too, has chosen a side in the battle for high-definition video supremacy: by June, it will stock only Blu-ray Disc players," Erica Ogg reports for CNET.

"A buyer in Wal-Mart's video division wrote this morning on her Wal-Mart Checkout blog that the retail giant had made the decision following Netflix and Best Buy's high-profile announcements that they will exclusively stock Blu-ray products," Ogg reports.

"While Netflix and Best Buy were pretty damning evidence that the end was near, now it's glaringly obvious: it's over for HD DVD," Ogg reports.

Home burners soon and the prices will be dropping

http://gizmodo.com/347773/blu+ray-domination-pushes-hardware-sales-to-93-after-ces

Cruel_Intentions
02-17-2008, 11:30 AM
If choosing the movie format that you want to watch is your driving force behind buying a gaming console then you are buying it for the wrong reasons

hemi_69
02-17-2008, 11:51 AM
actually my father in law is looking at buying a PS3 and he wouldn't use it for gaming at all, he wants it because he can stream audio and video across the network easily, and it takes up less room than most media centers and it can play Blue Ray which he wants and theres no "add-on" required to do so, although i'm sure my kids will use it for gaming when they go there lol

Ultra54
02-17-2008, 12:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so to those who swear by X-Box and argued with me in the past.....I told ya so, now you have a useless hd-dvd player addon sitting beside your xbox. :), I wonder what microsoft is going to do now. any ideas people?? </div></div>
Who care? The X Box 360 is a game console first and foremost. At least Microscrap was good enough to let you decide if you were the 1% of people who watch movies on a console. You could buy the HD dvd player separately unlike Sony that screwed up and charged 200 bucks more than the 360.

mercifulpenguin
02-17-2008, 12:57 PM
microsoft has said they can change format, as in release a stand alone blu ray player..BUT, why would anyone buy that, i'm excited that Blu Ray is the winner, now i have an excuse to buy a PS3 (and no, i didnt buy the HD add on for my 360)
I just wanna know, can I play my DVDs on blu ray/ps3?

hemi_69
02-17-2008, 01:13 PM
normal dvd's as well as back ups yes

xXx
02-17-2008, 08:33 PM
I know people have there opinions, I personally liked the ps3 better and did spend the 600 when it was released, to this day i wouldnt even spend the money on 360, I find the ps3 can do alot more than the 360 anyways. plus it looks better. but thats just my opinion.

hemi_69
02-17-2008, 09:09 PM
I have a PS3 as well, and agree it does look nicer sitting beside the tv, but the 360 deffenitly has ALOT more games available for it

cybolynx
02-17-2008, 09:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well it's news so I would think it's the right section.... sorta. lol

Someone already posted about it earlier, but they should change their title to something more relevant so no one else misses it.

http://www.soonet.ca/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=544450&page=1#Post544450 </div></div>

it was actually posted in the soap box last night ... mods should have deleted my off post when they moved it .. oh well