Strife
02-19-2008, 09:39 AM
You probably have to be set up through your school to get the free downloads

Karl
02-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Torrents are free too.

J*B
02-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Get verified as a student. The system is linked to schools and organizations around the world that can confirm student status. Simply choose your country and school, enter your info and hit submit.

tired-n-cranky
02-19-2008, 12:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Torrents are free too. </div></div>

Lame, ignorant, and illegal. Not free.

GirlNextDoor
02-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I second that.Does the university here issue ISIC cards?

DoubleXL
02-19-2008, 03:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Torrents are free too. </div></div>

Lame, ignorant, and illegal. Not free. </div></div>

Your statement was TRULY ignorant. Bittorrent is not used just for illegal purposes.

tired-n-cranky
02-19-2008, 03:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AHDoubleXL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Torrents are free too. </div></div>

Your statement was TRULY ignorant. Bittorrent is not used just for illegal purposes. </div></div>

Actually since we are talking about MICROSOFT SOFTWARE, and torrents were mentioned, then YES, it is illegal to download MICROSOFT software using Torrents.

I use Torrents all the time for Linux distros and much more, but thanks for coming out.

Killswitch
02-19-2008, 05:37 PM
I think downloading Microsoft software is perfectly fine. It would be the same as borrowing a friends disc because yours got scratched. Using a key you didn't obtain through purchasing the product is illegal.

Hans
02-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Hmm, I know soo college is listed, but I am wondering if it counts if you only go there for 10 weeks as part of a course organized by the ministry? Something I have to look in to I guess...

DoubleXL
02-21-2008, 12:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AHDoubleXL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NeTDaWg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Torrents are free too. </div></div>

Your statement was TRULY ignorant. Bittorrent is not used just for illegal purposes. </div></div>

Actually since we are talking about MICROSOFT SOFTWARE, and torrents were mentioned, then YES, it is illegal to download MICROSOFT software using Torrents.

I use Torrents all the time for Linux distros and much more, but thanks for coming out. </div></div>

If you own the licence to the software, it is completely legal to download it and use it.

Strife
02-21-2008, 02:15 AM
Not to go off topic but downloading the software itself is not illegal. Using the software That has been cracked or is otherwise using a fake serial is however illegal.

Karl
02-21-2008, 07:28 AM
Torrents are a legal means to obtain files of almost any kind made.

General Lee
02-21-2008, 09:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Torrents are a legal means to obtain files of almost any kind made. </div></div>

wrong its for cheep ppl like yourself

tired-n-cranky
02-21-2008, 10:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Torrents are a legal means to obtain files of almost any kind made. </div></div>

Get out of my thread, you are not welcome.

ProfessorZed
02-26-2008, 06:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get verified as a student. The system is linked to schools and organizations around the world that can confirm student status. Simply choose your country and school, enter your info and hit submit. </div></div>

If I were still a student, I'd have a great big problem with an institution sharing my information, even if that information were just my student status. The only acceptable verification I can think of is requiring a student email address before downloading. In fact, I believe it may be illegal for the institution to share any information in the first place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Object X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I second that.Does the university here issue ISIC cards?</div></div>

Yes, ISIC cards are available through Algoma U. They were when I was a student, anyway, which wasn't too terribly many years ago.

Chako
02-29-2008, 06:20 AM
You are correct on that point ProfessorZed. When I read that same statement, it did raise some ethical questions.

As for the whole Torrents thing, I am with Netdawg on that.

Likewise, I would personally hate to have to get a Microsoft Live ID to download that software. I wonder if it has anything to do with their Live product that fubared my computer many months ago, causing me to format and install my OS again...which is er...another MS product.

Otherwise, some interesting expensive software being given away. This does beg the question, what does MS get out of it. They were never ones to give without getting in the past.